Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM

14 posts, read 42,136 times

Advertisements

Hello to all, new member. Visited Arizona a few months ago and stayed at several 55+ communities looking to relocate and retire from Illinois. Narrowed list to Del Webb's Festival in Buckeye and Robson's Saddlebrook Ranch (SBR) near Oracle. Was impressed with both. Each has its plus and minus. Any advice/suggestions concerning either community is appreciated. Is the wind (too much) a factor at SBR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
The main difference is the elevation and temperatures. If your looking for someplace warm in the winter then look at Buckeye the elevation there is about 1000 feet. Saddle Brooke Ranch on the other hand is about 3500 feet and snow there in the winter is not uncommon. If you have snow tires and a Subaru you might find them handy in SBR. The big difference will be the summer heat. Buckeye will be about 106 degrees where you are at for June, July and August and SBR will be about 94. The wind isnt that much of a factor but in the winter if its blowing 10mph in Oracle and its 45 degrees it seem pretty cold. I think Sun City Grand would be a nice alternative if prices are the same. Phoenix is a big league town and if you are in Tucson we dont even have minor league stuff anymore. If your in Sun City Grand or Festival you can follow your favorite Chicago team in spring training. I also think you might meet a lot more people in the established communities.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I can't speak to Festival in Buckeye, but I'm familiar with SaddleBrooke Ranch. I used to sell furniture in Tucson and a lot of my customers came from the SaddleBrookes. Many people who move there don't take much (if any) furniture and buy new when they arrive. The houses are such a different style for people from the East that the furniture from their previous homes doesn't really fit, literally if they're downsizing. I was very impressed with the people I got to know. They all seemed well-educated and friendly. Most of them also seemed to be fairly accomplished, although one woman (who was a doctor, as was her husband) told me, "We don't like people to brag about what they used to do. We're not impressed. We just care about how they act now." I thought that was nice. I'm also very impressed with the incredible variety of activities they have there. Beautiful facilities, too, (not to mention the homes).

What BK said about the differences in temperatures between Phoenix and SBR is correct. It will usually be a good 10 degrees cooler in SaddleBrooke. If you're big into golfing, I'd question how often you could do that all summer in Phoenix, with temps well over 100, which would make SBR the better choice. You won't have snow up at SBR in winter all that often and even when it does snow, it certainly doesn't last. Here is a chart that shows average monthly highs and lows, specifically for SBR. It shows the daily highs for Nov.-Feb. averaging 60 to 68. And, of course it will be sunny most every day. A big difference from Illinois!
Average Weather for SaddleBrooke Ranch Golf Club, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

But BK is right that if you're a baseball fan, you won't get that here in Southern Arizona. Other than the new FC Tucson, we only have college athletics. Best of luck with your choice. Everyone I know who has moved into one of those 55+ communities wishes they'd have done it earlier.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 37,592 times
We are in Minnesota and are making the same decisions you are. Air Quality was one of our concerns and because of that we will stay out of the Valley of the Sun (PHX). We were out there a couple of weeks ago and looked at Trilogy Vistancia, Corte Bella, SC Grande, and SC Festival. Of those, we chose Festival because of its location, clean air, caliber of the amenities, and views of the White Tank Mountains. I'm doing a Texas tour in April and will look at several places around San Antonio and Austin. Haven't been to Saddlebrooke yet, but we will come and stay there next winter. I believe that right now Festival and Saddlebrooke are our top two choices. I have concerns about Festival because of the massive planned development in that area, and the new freeway through there that is in the planning stages right now
( Interstate 11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Festival was very beautiful though, the houses well thought out, the amenities were the most appealing of anything we've seen. A Pickleball tournament is held there each year, and the courts are beautiful. Right now though it is probably more isolated than Saddlebrooke seems to be. Much development is planned though. Being Minnesotan's, those "cold" temperatures there in Saddlebrooke would be pretty much T Shirt and Shorts for us. Can't wait to go there and look it over.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 57,506 times
For what it's worth (and relocating for retirement is a highly subjective topic) My wife and I looked and communities throughout NM, UT and AZ and selected Saddlebrooke because of the amenities, quality of home construction, climate and reasonable cost. We selected one of the last 25 or so lots still available and hope to be in by September. We also we considering Saddlebrooke Ranch and it was a tough choice, but liked the lot we chose, because of the view and the fact that SB is fully established.

Good luck in your search.

BTW: Jukesgrrl we've enjoyed your highly informative posts over the last few years. They have been very helpful to us.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM

105 posts, read 227,523 times
Are you certain you are not confusing Saddlebrooke and Saddlebrook Ranch ? "Last 25 lots" might be an accurate statement about Saddlebrook but the Ranch is a very new community with only a couple hundred homes.

I looked at both last December and loved the ammenities and floorplans at SBR however on that particular day the wind was a real problem. During the comp lunch we got after our tour we overheard a conversation at the next table between friendly resident couples, one was selling out and moving to Saddlebrook after 1 year at the SBR, because of wind.

Steve

Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 57,506 times
Sorry for any confusion. We did get one of the few remaining lots in Saddlebrooke. We did look as SB Ranch as well and like Steve, thought that the Hacienda Clubhouse was impressive. We did hear talk, mostly among the Saddlebrooke residents, about the wind up in the Ranch, but our reason for picking Saddlebrooke over Saddlebrooke Ranch was the views we have from the lot we selected and the fact that the community was fully established. The Ranch does have about 300 homes completed and will have over 4000 once it's built out. The home models offered at the Ranch are also available to those who purchase lots in SB.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:44 PM

14 posts, read 42,136 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to all replies, info was much appreciated.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjo1913 View Post
Sorry for any confusion. We did get one of the few remaining lots in Saddlebrooke. We did look as SB Ranch as well and like Steve, thought that the Hacienda Clubhouse was impressive. We did hear talk, mostly among the Saddlebrooke residents, about the wind up in the Ranch, but our reason for picking Saddlebrooke over Saddlebrooke Ranch was the views we have from the lot we selected and the fact that the community was fully established. The Ranch does have about 300 homes completed and will have over 4000 once it's built out. The home models offered at the Ranch are also available to those who purchase lots in SB.
That's good to hear. When I toured the homes at SBR, I saw some models that were gorgeous and a creative use of space.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Went up to SBR today and it was pretty windy. The big thing I think is different when you go up to SaddleBrook and SBR you are really leaving the Sonoran Desert. There are no saguaro cactus and the mesquite trees are mesquite bushes. If you like Mexican Palm trees I am not sure they grow up there. The houses were pretty nice and well built. I talked to someone who lived in Saddlebrook and he liked all the activities and the live theater. If I am going to live near Tucson I want to see something like this everyday.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson