U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 34,383 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was wondering what people are paying for electric in a 1 room condo or apt in tucson. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM

5,478 posts, read 5,973,699 times
Can somebody look at their bill and post the cents per kW that are actually charged???

If you could include the percentage that goes to taxes that would also be helpful.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM

9,556 posts, read 30,131,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemovingsoon View Post
Hi,
I was wondering what people are paying for electric in a 1 room condo or apt in tucson. Thanks
Interesting request, MayBeMovingSoon . . .

The TEP (Tucson Electric Power) bills for my 1400 sq ft All Electric Patio Home run about $50 during the Spring and Fall but usually jump to about $75 during July and August. I do live alone and avoid cooking whenever possible.

For what it's worth, converting to low energy CFL and LED lights plus having a new energy efficient Heat Pump installed lowered my bills significantly.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,603,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemovingsoon View Post
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Can somebody look at their bill and post the cents per kW that are actually charged???

If you could include the percentage that goes to taxes that would also be helpful.

I would think for a one room apartment you are probably looking at about $45 per month. The service charge is $10 per month and then there are taxes of about $5. Overall I figure the kwh at about 10 cents. The summer and winter rates are a little different with rates going up slightly in the summer to about 11 cents.
A lot of apartments in Tucson have air-conditioning provided in the summer so its built into the rent.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 PM

713 posts, read 1,392,132 times
its about 11c/kWh during winter, and about 12.5c/kWh during summer. the diff is due to when the electric is used. summer means AC running more during peak hrs, etc. my heat and cooking is gas.

those #'s are total bill, i dont have my last bill to break-out the taxes and fees, but not really sure why that matters.

TEP also offers some programs for homeowners to help you reduce your bill, not sure if these can apply to rental units of "condo" or "apartment" type.

in that bummer example, thats $75/1400sqft = $0.054/sqft
in summer for me, its $228/2750sqft = $0.083/sqft, the diff here is likely due to fact that i keep my home cold during summer months, so i am using more of the "expensive" energy. you can factor in efficiency of the homes (insulation size and type, ceiling heights, amount of glass, etc), but thats a small # in the diff, etc.

you can get electric bill way down if you can keep your place at say 80F when you are not home, and then cool it to your liking only when you are home, etc.

Last edited by Home_Kid; 03-14-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM

99 posts, read 229,036 times
I rent a one bedroom, top floor apartment. I have a lot of shade trees protecting my apartment. I am retired so I am home most of the time. I also cook most of my meals for health reasons. I run the air-conditioner a lot during the Summer and the heater during the Winter months. Last year I paid around $40 to $50 per month during Winter, and $60 to $70 per month during the Summer months. The months between Summer and Winter cost around $30 per month. I guess it is all relative to how much time you spend at home and how cold or hot you like it.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tucson View Post
I rent a one bedroom, top floor apartment. I have a lot of shade trees protecting my apartment. I am retired so I am home most of the time. I also cook most of my meals for health reasons. I run the air-conditioner a lot during the Summer and the heater during the Winter months. Last year I paid around $40 to $50 per month during Winter, and $60 to $70 per month during the Summer months. The months between Summer and Winter cost around $30 per month. I guess it is all relative to how much time you spend at home and how cold or hot you like it.
sure, total $$ on the bill depends on how much you use, this is why its better to use as little as possible during the summer days as the kWh price is more during this time, TEP calls it "peak hrs". washing machine and dishwasher at night will help reduce the bill. the kWh prices should be about the same for every TEP residential customer, but the $/sqft costs will vary due to a few main factors.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 PM

461 posts, read 1,252,159 times
Another big factor is the type of building, the age/efficiency of the a/c unit and if it gets direct sunlight. Several years ago, I temporarily moved into a decent apartment complex (so I thought), while trying to sell my house. I had a newer 1450 sqft house and the highest electric bill in the summer was $120. I got my first electric bill at the smaller 900 sqft apartment and was floored when I saw a $390 bill. This unit received NO direct sunlight at all and I was very conservative with electricity. I called the power company and they said the complex was 20+ years old, wasn't built to be energy efficient and the a/c was probably old/inefficient. Needless to say, I moved out!

Old 03-14-2014, 04:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 30,131,550 times
Great point, Jksn . . .

After replacing a 15 year old still functioning Heat Pump last June, my TEP bills for July, August and September literally dropped in half from the previous year.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
Another big factor is the type of building, the age/efficiency of the a/c unit and if it gets direct sunlight. Several years ago, I temporarily moved into a decent apartment complex (so I thought), while trying to sell my house. I had a newer 1450 sqft house and the highest electric bill in the summer was $120. I got my first electric bill at the smaller 900 sqft apartment and was floored when I saw a $390 bill. This unit received NO direct sunlight at all and I was very conservative with electricity. I called the power company and they said the complex was 20+ years old, wasn't built to be energy efficient and the a/c was probably old/inefficient. Needless to say, I moved out!
good points. dwelling efficiency and equipment efficiency plays a role in that bill. this boils down to, not really a $/kWh question, but rather a "why am i using XYZ amount of energy?". even though my home was built using "good" design in 2007 (6" ext walls, good low-e glass, etc), my total efficiency could actually be less than say a smaller older dwelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: