U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,606,492 times

Advertisements

The white winged dove is a migratory bird that arrives in large flocks in the spring from Mexico and leaves in September. Last year it was exactly the first day of spring that I heard its signature call "who cooks for you".
If you have a lot of trees where you live they can really create a racket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTd8bTfWSKI
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 PM

619 posts, read 454,144 times
I saw (and photographed) a male Bullock's oriole on the UA campus yesterday.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,132,827 times
Great. Get ready for the love fest.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:45 PM

9,556 posts, read 30,174,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Great. Get ready for the love fest.
. . . and the nasty "Dove Poop" all over the place.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,149,143 times
Noooooooooooo!!!! I can't stand those birds. They are prolific poopers, scare away the songbirds, and hog the feeders (and dump them over). I have to take extensive defensive action to be able to keep my songbirds happy and the doves unhappy. Fortunately, last year they left in early September. No, no, no....tell them Mexico is a much better place this time of year!

Old 03-17-2014, 05:41 PM

17,884 posts, read 41,324,561 times
Your video doesn't look like a white wing at all. White-winged Dove, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

It looks like a mourning dove.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Your video doesn't look like a white wing at all. White-winged Dove, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

It looks like a mourning dove.
Yup, Observer....that's them. That white edge to their wing is the telltale marking. I'm seeing a balcony full of poop just looking at the picture. I need a good B-B gun.....

Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 AM

17,884 posts, read 41,324,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Yup, Observer....that's them. That white edge to their wing is the telltale marking. I'm seeing a balcony full of poop just looking at the picture. I need a good B-B gun.....

Right. When I saw that video, it didn't look like any whitewing dove I remember seeing. The white edge is, according to the article, what distinguishes them from mourning doves (which don't migrate, so far as I know).

Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Right. When I saw that video, it didn't look like any whitewing dove I remember seeing. The white edge is, according to the article, what distinguishes them from mourning doves (which don't migrate, so far as I know).
No, the mourning doves don't migrate. They're okay. They don't hang around if I don't have food they like. I can also spread food on the ground below my balcony to divert them if necessary until someone buys the condo below me. But the White Winged will go after my feeders and they don't care what's in them. I have to use the squirrel proof lids and domes on my feeders, and make sure they can't perch on any feeders. It's a real battle.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,606,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
No, the mourning doves don't migrate. They're okay. They don't hang around if I don't have food they like. I can also spread food on the ground below my balcony to divert them if necessary until someone buys the condo below me. But the White Winged will go after my feeders and they don't care what's in them. I have to use the squirrel proof lids and domes on my feeders, and make sure they can't perch on any feeders. It's a real battle.
Heard the first white winged dove this morning and today is the first day of spring. They can empty a bird feeder out pretty fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: