Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times

Advertisements

I'm from out of town and will be visiting the Tucson area at the end of March to check out apartments. Does anyone have any recommendations of a high quality complex in either Tucson, Oro Valley, or Marana. I'd like to find something that isn't too secluded, has covered parking or garages, and is very safe. Here in Ohio, I pay ~$950 a month for 2 bedrooms. I'm not sure what apartments are going to out there, but I'd like to not go too much over $1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Couple of questions for you, JimDC . . .

Do you prefer the big and busy apartment complex type of living (rarely with a garage) or possibly something more like a Patio Home or Townhouse type of lifestyle?

Also, are you looking for convenience with shops and restaurants in walking distance or prefer the suburban type of drive to just about everything living?

As an example . . . I own a Patio Home literally walking distance to just about everything including the Tucson Mall and the Rillito Bike Trail. It has Three Bedrooms and Two Baths plus a full Two Car Garage. I know rentals in my community run about $800 to $900 a month for models similar to mine or the smaller Two Bedroom units.

Good Luck on your search and WELCOME.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Bummer asks good questions. Another pertinent one: Are you going to be working somewhere while you are in Tucson? If so WHERE? Tucson is spread out over a very large area, Pima County being bigger than the state of New Jersey. Also, there is no cross-town expressway. Anything not off I-10 is going to be reached by surface streets with traffic lights at every major intersection. If you have a job, a daily commute could be very unpleasant if you get a lease for an apartment that's too far away. Most of the regulars here usually caution newcomers still looking for jobs to stick with temporary housing until you get one.

Also, there are apartment recommendations on several other threads on Tucson C-D. I know because I've written some, as has Bummer.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Google tusconrentalhomes.com or HSL. That's how my woman got hers with a transfer from WV to Tucson.

good luck

Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Couple of questions for you, JimDC . . .

Do you prefer the big and busy apartment complex type of living (rarely with a garage) or possibly something more like a Patio Home or Townhouse type of lifestyle?

Also, are you looking for convenience with shops and restaurants in walking distance or prefer the suburban type of drive to just about everything living?

As an example . . . I own a Patio Home literally walking distance to just about everything including the Tucson Mall and the Rillito Bike Trail. It has Three Bedrooms and Two Baths plus a full Two Car Garage. I know rentals in my community run about $800 to $900 a month for models similar to mine or the smaller Two Bedroom units.

Good Luck on your search and WELCOME.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry....I haven't been on the site for a few days.

I actually prefer something where I am either within walking distance, or a very short drive to things. I really wouldn't have a use for three bedrooms, though, as it's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Bummer asks good questions. Another pertinent one: Are you going to be working somewhere while you are in Tucson? If so WHERE? Tucson is spread out over a very large area, Pima County being bigger than the state of New Jersey. Also, there is no cross-town expressway. Anything not off I-10 is going to be reached by surface streets with traffic lights at every major intersection. If you have a job, a daily commute could be very unpleasant if you get a lease for an apartment that's too far away. Most of the regulars here usually caution newcomers still looking for jobs to stick with temporary housing until you get one.

Also, there are apartment recommendations on several other threads on Tucson C-D. I know because I've written some, as has Bummer.
I'm not working right now, so being in proximity to a job isn't a consideration. I definitely don't want the south side, however.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

532 posts, read 1,176,908 times
Tucson is pretty spread out and except for the university/downtown area, not very walkable. Therefore if you want walkable/short drives, you'll want to look in that area. Maybe out further into Midtown. Not a lot of garage parking in Tucson though with apartments, though you'll probably be able to find covered parking at most larger apartment complexes. I invite you to try the west side of town, like just west of the freeway. Several nice apartments over there (not just students) and it's a quiet and nice side of town ( I would be referring back by Pima CC west campus or north of Speedway, Star Pass and El Camino del Cerro direction. I'm in this area). Like much of Tucson it borders on some less desirable areas, which is why it's best to visit any place in Tucson you're interested in at various times a day/night.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:05 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,753 times
A friend of mine lived at La Reserve Villas in Oro Valley. His unit was very nice and had mountain views: Find Oro Valley apartments and homes for rent in Arizona at La Reserve Villas..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Forgot to mention, my coworker lives at the Golf Villas in Oro Valley. She really loves it and says it is upscale: Golf Villas Apartments

Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,908 times
^^^He DID say he was looking for walking distance and/or a short drive to everything. That really isn't walkable. Short drive, I will partially give you because the Oro Valley Marketplace is close. To the rest of Tucson, depends on traffic on Oracle. If I was going to pick the choice that fit the needs of the OP most given his brief replies, I'd say La Reserve over Golf Villas.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:17 PM

He also said upscale. He isn't going to find that in midtown or west of the freeway (borders on a not-so-good area anyway). Upscale in my opinion would be Oro Valley or the Foothills area. There are plenty of complexes in both areas that are short drives. Sorry jimdc58, but upscale will probably not include walking distance to most places. Gotta make a compromise somewhere. At La Reserve, he could actually walk across Oracle if he wanted to brave the traffic or make a one minute drive. Plenty of businesses directly across the street. Another option are condos that are being rented out by their owners. There are several of those in the Foothills area. Again, it would be a short drive to amenities. When you are in town, check them out and see if the drive would be too far. A few minutes to the grocery store isn't that big of a deal in a town where everything is spread out. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson