Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, newspapers are crap these days for reporting anything newsworthy, the Arizona Daily Star included. I saw the aftermath of a bad traffic accident the other day ... not one mention. At least here's one source to fill the void.

https://twitter.com/whatsuptucson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
The newspaper is ok but whats with the AM radio stations where in most decent sized cities you can find a decent station that offers news and talk without being a right wing talk station. I have only heard two stations that kind of offer news and they both are right wing talkers.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
ha, looked at that twitter and couldn't pull myself away!.....all Hell is breaking loose in Tucson...

good thing I don't own a smartphone.....I'd cause the next wreck to be mentioned on it!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Yep, crowdsourcing provides a good look into what's REALLY happening in this town and it's an eye opener ... and not good.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

59 posts, read 147,724 times
I don't understand Tucson's news media on TV. We have NBC, CBS and ABC all reporting NOTHING but the Police Beat stuff. I really don't think it's wise to have such a tourist location as Tucson flooded with nothing but convicts or suspected criminals highlighting their news hours. Is there nothing else going on in Tucson that they have to start every newscast with the latest arrest? Really? It's sad to say we've been here only 18 months and don't even watch the local news anymore.

And you have the Explorer is doing the same. Every time they cover a story about local happenings, they use local lingo not realizing that some of us haven't lived here all their lives and need the GPS address of locations that they mention.

Why do the local news people not realize these things?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGirly View Post
And you have the Explorer is doing the same. Every time they cover a story about local happenings, they use local lingo not realizing that some of us haven't lived here all their lives and need the GPS address of locations that they mention.
That surprises me a little; I've found them to be quite good over the last couple of years. They (like all papers) will frequently put things in the 9000 block of Wassaname St., but that's standard for all news formats. What is the local lingo you are having issues with? Maybe we can help and give you some local flavor as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 PM

59 posts, read 147,724 times
When they had the book fair, they said it was on the Campus (fill in location) that I can't quite remember. We've never been on campus and really didn't know where this location was. We just drove over there and oh goody, we found it. It would have been much easier to have an actual address.

When we were there, someone asked us if we knew where so and so used to be. Argh. I used to do that in my own home town and we just smile and shake our heads. We're new. We don't know where anything is.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:04 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGirly View Post
It would have been much easier to have an actual address.
I've noticed this about Tucson and the surrounding areas. Even in advertisements for an event, they'll just name a place but not the address. Where I moved from, ads for events had addresses. Here no address seems to be the norm. A few weeks ago I was trying to find an address for a location in an ad. I don't remember the name of the place, but it wasn't even the official name, just a nickname, so even googling it didn't get me an address. When you're advertising an event, you should make it as easy as possible for people to find it, not keep it a secret from people who don't know the town well enough to recognize the location or the location's nickname. Duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: