Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

Evidently Tucson is not interested in what one, would associate with boosting its economy. A network of fwys and roads to move the masses, and make itself more attractive to businesses. I don't know all the reasons why this goes on, and here we are in 2014. So all I can come up with is, Tucson is content with being a college, retirement town, with an AF Base in there also. Tucson doesn't seem to want anything else. If it did you can bet the lack of proper fwys, or roads, would have been addressed years ago. I can't imagine that Tesla would ever choose the Tucson area, and I guess that's fine with Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:10 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post

at this point, land from I10 east is not suitable to build any major roads, but on the west/south side of I10 there is room. building a loop that perhaps loops south from about starr pass, across I19, and back up into the SE side of tucson would imho give opportunity to revitalize the areas the loop cuts through, etc.
The objections to such a route have already been aired, the one that sticks out in my mind was the business owners along I-10 don't want all of their traffic taken away.

"Since we can't please all of the people all of the time, we won't do anything" - The unofficial Tucson motto.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM

173 posts, read 443,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Nope. But still better traffic than some places with expressways during rush hour.
But, not, unfortunately, any metro with a similar population size. Those places are several times larger. For a city its size (about a million), Tucson's logistics are a disadvantage, in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:13 PM

173 posts, read 443,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
The objections to such a route have already been aired, the one that sticks out in my mind was the business owners along I-10 don't want all of their traffic taken away.

"Since we can't please all of the people all of the time, we won't do anything" - The unofficial Tucson motto.
The sort of "passive growth" strategy needs to change for the metro to realize its potential.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
People were having this discussion 20 years ago when I moved out of Tucson. Right now in Phoenix they are finishing up another new freeway with plans in the works to start on a couple of more pretty soon. Seems like people in Tucson debate freeways while Phoenix just goes ahead and builds them. I like going back to Tucson to visit friends & family, but driving across town to get the eastside drives me crazy. For a city its size, I-10 should be 4 lanes wide all the way from Marana to Vail.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Seems like people in Tucson debate freeways while Phoenix just goes ahead and builds them.

just as Tucson is resisting freeways now, Phoenix was doing the exact same thing back when the Valley had a population of one million (surprise!...Tucson metro's current population!!).....

only when traffic became a crisis (1986) did Phx voters decide to build freeways (and to pay for them).....

and only when traffic becomes a crisis in Tucson will freeways get built....Tucson isn't in a crisis yet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson