Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM

17 posts, read 48,875 times

Advertisements

Hi, How do dogs with heavy coats react with the Tucson heat in summer? We have a young female Golden Retriever and she has a heavy coat and now live in Western NY. We are considering relocating to Tucson, Do many people in Tucson have Retriever type dogs there? Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
I see plenty of retrievers out here. Most people here keep their dogs inside. I am sure there are exceptions. For example if you have a large patio thats shaded and plenty of water you could probably keep your dog outside in the summer. In my neighborhood no one leaves their dogs outside. Typical routine will be to get the dog out early in the morning before 9am in the summer. By then the temps can be pushing 90 degrees.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
A long haired dog coming from a climate like NY should not be punished and suddenly converted to an outdoor dog in AZ. Not only cruel, but dangerous. Is your dog an indoors dog now? Just keep it the same. If it is both in and out, it will be able to do the same here. Just get a house with lots of natural shade, good ventilation in the yard...maybe misters if the dog will be outside when you aren't home...or even a doggie door. Lots of possibilities...not to mention th eobvious of trimming their fur back in the summer.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
... Lots of possibilities...not to mention th eobvious of trimming their fur back in the summer.
I had a neighbor with a couple of Golden Retreivers and he basically shaved them in late spring and let it grow back through the summer. By winter they had a full coat and it seemed to work well for all involved.

These were primarily inside dogs.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,873 times
the AKC has best info on such. heavy coated dogs need AC.

but why Tucson, did you look into PHX area?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
Dogs can also get skin cancer. Shaving the protective coat off might not be such a good idea. I've also heard never to shave because the coat provides some protection from the heat.
My dogs (Aussies) mostly stay inside in the summer except for early mornings and evenings.
It could be that dogs living here grow thinner coats than up north.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 48,875 times
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I didn't explain our situation very well - our dog is an indoor dog here in Western NY. That is, she stays inside unless we are outside with her. She loved the winter we just had with all the snow; when the temperature really plummeted, we did not walk her a long distance. Likewise, we would not expect her to be outside when it is blazing hot. Checking with the AKC is good advice. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,575,923 times
My groomer has told me it perplexes her when owners want their dogs fur shaved in the summer. Dogs sweat through their tongues, not their skin the way humans do. But, that said, most dogs only go outside in the summer for potty time. We have a doggy door, and they do their duty, play for a while, but come in after about 10 or 15 minutes.

It's not just the heat that's a reason to keep dogs indoors during the summer, we also have critters that can hurt dogs, like rattlesnakes and scorpions to name a couple.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My groomer has told me it perplexes her when owners want their dogs fur shaved in the summer. Dogs sweat through their tongues, not their skin the way humans do. But, that said, most dogs only go outside in the summer for potty time. We have a doggy door, and they do their duty, play for a while, but come in after about 10 or 15 minutes.

It's not just the heat that's a reason to keep dogs indoors during the summer, we also have critters that can hurt dogs, like rattlesnakes and scorpions to name a couple.
well, some truth here. they perspire that way, a heavy coat will do its jobs as intended, its a barrier for heat transfer (the dogs own R rating if you will), but when the ambient temps are higher than dog temp the heavy coat impedes heat transfer out via skin (which is not the primary mode of cooling for dogs). a thinned down heavy coat will allow a dog to transfer more heat out of its body. but, dont make bare skin as the sun is too intense and will hurt the dog.

the AKC has a ton of info about this.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,801 times
I moved here a year and a half ago with my Collie mix, who has a heavy double coat. He doesn't do well in the heat. He has laryngeal paralysis now which is badly aggravated by heat. He's an indoor dog. I have to keep the a/c down to about 73 for him to feel comfortable, while I'm freezing my tail off. He loves to go to the dog park, but once the temps get into the mid-80s we pretty much don't go anywhere again until fall. He likes sun, just not the heat, and he'll go outside and sunbathe for a few minutes but that's about it. Otherwise he just goes out to do his business and comes right back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson