U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,932 times

Advertisements

With one child out of college (Go Wildcats), one still in college and an 8th grader at home, we have decided that we have had enough of the weather in New England and want to move up our planned relo to a warmer climate. Originally we planned to wait until she was out of high school.

We've moved several times with kids so my first thought is always to zero in on the best school district, then look at housing. Lots of easy choices in the MD/VA area as well as the Boston area and even Raleigh/Durham, where we were seriously looking several years back. Arizona? Not so much. Our first thought was to simply just consider private school, but I hate to just toss away that money if here is a public school to be found that is comparable or better than our own local high school, a top rated district.

University HS looks great but there is an admissions process and no guarantees, especially since we've already missed the deadline for freshman year applications. So I am in research mode. I've discovered Catalina Foothills. Would love to hear any other feedback or suggestions.

Also, I realize this isn't the Flagstaff forum, but Flag is another option we are considering, so if you have anything to pass on there, I'd be grateful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:48 AM

975 posts, read 1,319,178 times
I believe the best high schools outside of University are Catalana Foothills High School and Canyon Del Oro. Tucson High School also has a magnet program. As far as private / religious Salpointe is well regarded.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM

833 posts, read 1,634,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I believe the best high schools outside of University are Catalana Foothills High School and Canyon Del Oro. Tucson High School also has a magnet program. As far as private / religious Salpointe is well regarded.
CDO is good and nearby Ironwood Ridge is as well. On the opposite side of town you have the Vail School District with 4 high schools including Andrada for a very different learning experience.

Check out greatschools.org or usnews.com for ranking and reviews.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,932 times
Thanks. I have checked out both GreatSchools and US News. I have compared several schools to each other and each school to the local HS in our district. One thing I am universally disappointed to find is that extra curricular and arts/music programs have been cut across the board, except perhaps at University. Budgets are tight everywhere but our local school district (and much of MA in general) has been amazing at not cutting art/music/PE/language, etc. Class sizes are small at 20-22 and the parents are unbelievably involved. There are two incredible parent organizations that raise a large amount of money each year for various school needs that the schools can't provide within budget. Much of our technology, teacher fellowships, continuation of some programs, etc, benefit from the money raised each year. I know I am not going to find perfection but I also don't want to do my daughter a disservice or be forced to consider private school, which is an expense after having 2 kids in college!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson