Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 09:26 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times

Advertisements

I was in my bedroom getting ready to close the window when I saw something big fly by the window. I slowly moved to where I could see out the window a little better and saw what I believe to be a young adult Cooper's Hawk sitting on the gate to my back yard in Green Valley. He was obviously hunting. I was able to slip away from the window and get my camera and return without scaring the Hawk, so I was able to get a couple of minutes of video from only 6 to 8 feet away. The video was through a window, so it is not completely clear, but it was a real treat to see this raptor this close. This was 7:49 am 09/26/2020. Just 30 minutes or so later, I was walking to my neighbors house to help with a courtyard project when I saw a Cooper's Hawk chase and miss a dove. He landed in a tree next to my neighbors driveway. I did not have my camera, so I got a little cell phone video, but it was not very clear, so I did not use it. The Music is a song called Tucson Tease by John Deley and the 41 Players from the Youtube audio library. I hope you enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T20yRi4-SE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Nice!

We saw our first one of the year last week. Usually they are pretty skittish, but it let us watch for a few minutes before leaving. One of our dogs saw it fly in and land on a neighbor's tree.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Nice!

We saw our first one of the year last week. Usually they are pretty skittish, but it let us watch for a few minutes before leaving. One of our dogs saw it fly in and land on a neighbor's tree.
Lucky you hikernut! These birds are just so beautiful and majestic, it makes my soul happy to see one! I have seen them in action and they are amazing in the air when after prey, it is like watching a WWII dogfight!

Old 09-29-2020, 11:30 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
I have a nesting pair of Coop's in my tree. Yours appears to be an adult based on the tail feathers. My hawks had 3 babies: 2 male and one female. They were a treat to watch all summer. They love water and I have 2 shallow water "bowls" basically what you put under pots to collect the water. If you have those, make sure you clean them every day to prevent the spread of a deadly disease.

When my Cooper's were learning to hunt, they tried everything. One morning they tried the pack approach. There were birds flying everywhere! The 3 Coop's and small birds flying for their lives! It was hilarious. They would love to hang out on my back porch on one of my chairs. I could sit there with my morning coffee and just watch her. They grew up watching me from their nest, so I guess they knew I wasn't a threat.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I have a nesting pair of Coop's in my tree. Yours appears to be an adult based on the tail feathers. My hawks had 3 babies: 2 male and one female. They were a treat to watch all summer. They love water and I have 2 shallow water "bowls" basically what you put under pots to collect the water. If you have those, make sure you clean them every day to prevent the spread of a deadly disease.

When my Cooper's were learning to hunt, they tried everything. One morning they tried the pack approach. There were birds flying everywhere! The 3 Coop's and small birds flying for their lives! It was hilarious. They would love to hang out on my back porch on one of my chairs. I could sit there with my morning coffee and just watch her. They grew up watching me from their nest, so I guess they knew I wasn't a threat.
You are SO lucky to have a nest nearby!!! I have a neighbor about a block away that had a nest in a Palo Verde tree just outside their backyard fence, and they said they would get physically attacked if they went in their back yard! Apparently a baby fell from the nest and some rescue group came out and re-nested it. When those young ones were gone, they brought out an orphaned pair to see if Momma would take care of them and she did! It was a really wonderful story!!!

Old 10-01-2020, 09:16 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
You are SO lucky to have a nest nearby!!! I have a neighbor about a block away that had a nest in a Palo Verde tree just outside their backyard fence, and they said they would get physically attacked if they went in their back yard! Apparently a baby fell from the nest and some rescue group came out and re-nested it. When those young ones were gone, they brought out an orphaned pair to see if Momma would take care of them and she did! It was a really wonderful story!!!
When the "kids" were still in the nest, one, the female, decided that she would fly down to see me at the pool. She was still too small to really fly and could not get back to the nest. We put her back on a lower branch and she rested there all night. In the morning though, she worked her way back up the tree to the nest by hopping from branch to branch. About 40 ft. She's always been my favorite. She's the one who would hang out on the chair on our back patio. Not now, of course, she's older and has left the nest. I've only seen one of her brothers hanging around in addition to the parents.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
When the "kids" were still in the nest, one, the female, decided that she would fly down to see me at the pool. She was still too small to really fly and could not get back to the nest. We put her back on a lower branch and she rested there all night. In the morning though, she worked her way back up the tree to the nest by hopping from branch to branch. About 40 ft. She's always been my favorite. She's the one who would hang out on the chair on our back patio. Not now, of course, she's older and has left the nest. I've only seen one of her brothers hanging around in addition to the parents.
Very cool that you got to participate in the hawks life!!!

Old 10-03-2020, 08:07 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Awesome bird!

Old 10-04-2020, 11:29 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Howdy Bart, Awesome bird & video...

Sometimes a pair of Bald Eagles or Osprey nest in an old growth Doug Fir along the canyon. We immensely enjoy watching them. At times they take some fish out of the bass pond.
Thankyou.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Awesome bird!
I 100% agree with you NORTY FLATZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson