Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
The best part is the roach situation. I did not see roaches. They spray monthly but I could request not in my apt and put my baking soda around. It is not likely roaches/bugs run from apt to apt as other apts because the inside walls between apts are block. Behind each apt party wall (block) is a cement wall then the block wall for the apt behind.
Are roaches a HUGE problem in Tucson? I've never lived anywhere that I've had to deal with them. Are they a common nuisance in Tucson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
They're called "sewer roaches" because they live in your pipes and in the sewers. I've had a few in 5 years, but mine came from my attic (according to my Truly Nolen guy, they were trying to find water) and were in my closet where my attic access is. (I'm in a 2nd floor condo in Oro Valley) I've had 5 maybe run across a room. Most were lethargic or dying because I hire Truly Nolen on top of what our condo complex does (which isn't much). I've had two scorpions, but neither was a bark scorpion (the most painful kind) and a few ugly spiders.

That said, I did replace all my windows two years ago, so they're tight, which makes it much more difficult for the critters to get in.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
They're called "sewer roaches" because they live in your pipes and in the sewers. I've had a few in 5 years, but mine came from my attic (according to my Truly Nolen guy, they were trying to find water) and were in my closet where my attic access is. (I'm in a 2nd floor condo in Oro Valley) I've had 5 maybe run across a room. Most were lethargic or dying because I hire Truly Nolen on top of what our condo complex does (which isn't much). I've had two scorpions, but neither was a bark scorpion (the most painful kind) and a few ugly spiders.

That said, I did replace all my windows two years ago, so they're tight, which makes it much more difficult for the critters to get in.
So if I understand you right, they are different than the roaches that I am familiar with in Ohio? It sounds like these aren't the kind that infest your kitchen and overrun the place? With those they usually say, if you see one, you've probably already got an infestation. Up here in Ohio, if you have roaches, it is usually indicative of less-than-sanitary conditions.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
No, these are different. It's not that your house is dirty, although they do say to keep food put away (I have a lot of Tupperware for flour, rice, cereals, mashed potato flakes, pastas, etc.), especially pet foods. These are big~~2"~~and migrate to water. Contrary to some folklore, they do not come up through drains, the toilet, etc. However, once in your sink or tub looking for water, they can't get out, so they will be easier to catch and kill. I also use Barrier by Raid and spray around my balcony, under my sinks around the pipes, and around my sliding door and my "doggie" door. Plus, I use an exterminator who comes out quarterly. Here's some info from a Phoenix blog, but it pertains to Tucson, too.

What's With All the Cockroaches in the Valley? (And How to Get Rid of Them) |

Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
So if I understand you right, they are different than the roaches that I am familiar with in Ohio? It sounds like these aren't the kind that infest your kitchen and overrun the place? With those they usually say, if you see one, you've probably already got an infestation. Up here in Ohio, if you have roaches, it is usually indicative of less-than-sanitary conditions.
We have those roaches as well and while they MAY be a little more prevalent because of the warmer temperatures, they typically show up for the same reasons. If you are in an apartment it is not unusual to have a few due to messy neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson