Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,251 times

Advertisements

My wife and I and are planning a trip in January to Tucson. We plan on taking 2 days to sight see and discover IF Tucson would make a great new home for our family ( elementary aged kids ). What areas are a must see?

Reading the posts here I've come away with an equal sense of good and bad about Tucson. We're not so much interested in hearing the good and bad, though all opinions are welcome, but rather to hear from those living in Tucson if they had a choice in living anywhere in Tucson where would it be and why. On a personal note we really enjoyed some of the pictures taken in communities overlooking the valley. Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
As I have posted a number of times before, my only complaint I have concerning my relocation to Tucson ten years ago is that I didn't do it sooner.

To answer your question . . . "where to live?" You need to know where you plan to work mainly because commuting can be a bear, especially if you need to cross the city during rush hour. Also, you need to specify "renting or buying" and roughly how much you plan or expect to spend.

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:41 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times
Two days, so much to see!

Hmm.. I would vote for a jaunt to Sabino Canyon or the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum to get a feel for how lovely our environment is.

Old Tucson Studios would also be a fun trip with the family. If you're looking for some night-life a nostalgic trip to the newly renovated Fox Tucson Theatre might be an option or maybe a show at the University of Arizona's Centennial Hall.

Here are some of the malls in Tucson for shopping:
Foothills Mall
La Encatada
Tucson Mall (http://www.tucsonmall.com/html/Index2.asp - broken link)
Park Place Mall (http://www.parkplacemall.com/html/index20.asp - broken link)
El Con Mall

Here is some school information to help with your children.

Amphi School District
Catalina Foothills School District
Flowing Wells Unified School District
Marana Unified School District
Sahuarita Unified School District
Sunnyside Unified School District
Tanque Verde Unified School District
Tucson Unified School District
Vail School District

Sorry for the long post!

And as Bummer mentioned, with the freeway construction on-going until 2010 there may be some unexpected detours taking place.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,251 times
Wow! Such quick responses. Thank you greatly.

Too answer Bummer. We plan to rent and my wife wishes to continue her education. We are both professionals. She a nurse and I am a .net programmer.

Also, we all enjoy outdoor activities! Hiking, sight seeing, etc.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHolt View Post
Wow! Such quick responses.
Trust me, that's not a sign of an exciting place... At least now we have an excuse... most of us are not at home.

That's my take on the areas:

1. Ideally, El Encanto Estates or Colonia Solana. There are other neat spots in Central town - Sam Hughes, etc.

Tucson Newcomers Guide: Tucson's Historic Districts

The place has to be well-maintained and remodeled, though. I wouldn't live in a dump just because of the central and convenient location and/or the famous neighborhood. In the three neighborhoods I mentioned above, though, everything looks very nice, at least on the outside... El Encanto in particular is so quiet, you wouldn't know you're in central town. Obviously, they're expensive.

2. Runner-up - North of River, between Kolb and Swan, 85750 and 85718 (and up to Foothills Mall, but it'll depend on the spot)

3. Most of NE - 85749, 85715

4. East - 85748 and some of 85710. Most houses in 85710 are oldish, though.

5. Southeast - 85747

A lot of people like the areas around W. Star Pass, Oro Valley, and Vail. It is pretty out there. I'm just not used to them. Oro Valley gets a lot of praises on this forum, though, so I'm sure you'll hear about it.

http://www.oraclelandandhomes.com/Community%20Profiles/Tucson%20ZipCodes.pdf (broken link)

I'm sure the RE people will chime in on this one as well. Oh, they already did!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
.. I'm sure the RE people will chime in on this one as well. Oh, they already did!
Lol I'm thinking about taking off the "Real Estate Agent" tag just so every time I post not everyone thinks I'm trying to hawk a sale!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Lol I'm thinking about taking off the "Real Estate Agent" tag just so every time I post not everyone thinks I'm trying to hawk a sale!
I don't think you can even if you want to. I believe the rules on the forums don't allow it. You've gotta wear your hat!

Let's be honest, Michael... do you ever come to play with us on any other topic...?!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Ack! You're right, I can't remove that tag! Maybe I should post a disclaimer after every post where I'm not trying to use my Realtor magic. :P

Old 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Ack! You're right, I can't remove that tag! Maybe I should post a disclaimer after every post where I'm not trying to use my Realtor magic. :P
You just have to play with us more often! This way you'll be inconspicuous, at least to the non-regulars.

Besides, I "know" ya... I'm reading your blog occasionally. In other words, all bets are off!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
North and East of Tnque Verde and Sabino Canyon. Best Dog Park (McDonald Park), close to the Catalinas, everything you need is close by. if you want to get up to Mt Lemmon it is also very close.

I hate Tucson but if I'm stuck here for a long time I will try to move to that area.

Good luck in your search.

Currently I live in a new development called Pantano Overlook, its not bad, a little expensive but close to everything. Its at the corner of Pantano and 22nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson