Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 01:11 AM

5 posts, read 7,884 times

Advertisements

First, let me say that I've asked for advice on my sister and I's current housing crisis in another post. This question pertains to me personally and my situation. It really is a much broader question.
My name is Scott. I live in Tucson, Arizona and I want to stay here. I'm 61, disabled, have C.O.P.D. and am on oxygen 24/7. I'm S.M.I. which means I've been diagnosed as having a Serious Mental Illness. I have so far, been unable to collect Social Security benefits. I cannot work enough to support myself. I have no income and I'm not a veteran. I have no car. I have been living with my sister who supports me. For someone who has always had a job and supported himself, this is not a desirable position. I have student loans and other debts I want to make good. Early retirement is still 8 months away and, actually I'd prefer to hold off on that if I could. I could possibly do some kind of part time work at home computer job. I've started making jewelry and I'm pretty good at it. I considered trying for a government grant to start selling jewelry from home but I have no clue how to go about it. I've been researching government grants, loans, and housing assistance on the internet but, to be honest, I am completely overwhelmed at how many scams there are and how much false information there is. I need to get a permanent income I can support myself on. My sister cannot support me forever and I don't want her to.
My question is this. Have you or anyone you've known found themselves in a similar situation and what did you do to resolve the situation. Does anyone out there have any ideas, suggestions, or advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 PM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
Hi Scott,

I sure sympathize with you! There are people who CAN work but get SSI but others with serious disabilities don't get it. Have you gotten a lawyer to apply for you? My girl friend did it on her own, had up 36 pages with documentation from doctors etc and after a few years finally got it. She is 57 yo.

I am 70 yo, had to take early retirement at 64 because I developed an environmental illness from all the renovations, daily cleaning where I worked (hospital). It is multiple chemical sensitivity-- similar to agent orange, both chemical injury. I also have other health issues, walk with a cane, have a walker and a mobility scooter.

My retirement is just a little over the max for any low income benefits so I cannot rent in a new 62+ community. I am giving you the info for such time as you do have an income and may be interested in checking this place out. It is Sunnyside Pointe Villas, 730 E Emma Maria St, phone is (520) 777-3551. They are single homes with an attached garage and enclosed patio. They will have a pool eventually. The materials used are low VOC and some kind of barrier to keep fumes from the garage from getting into the house. It is SW, just south of the VA hospital, south of Irvington. If you are signed up with Sun Van that would be good for your transportation.

Now about the money making... When I retired I spent a lot of money on supplies to make beaded jewelry, not the high end but affordable. I had a place to sell once a month in Phoenix but moved here and no place to sell so far as I can't sit 8 hours (perhaps 2-4) and need to be indoors. Thinking the church flea markets would be the best option for me.

My ideas for you for now are: if your sister has a house/a patio, etc. you can have patio sales/yard sales - sell your jewelry and also if possible get stuff to sell free on the Tucson free cycle site.

The other idea is to find out when various churches are having craft/flea markets. There is one that has them, called a flea market, you don't need a vendor's license, it is on Tanque Verde, can't remember if it is east or west of Udahl park.

The Pima Street Baptist Church, 5056 E Pima Street, (520) 795-2085, pimastreet@aol.com, just had a craft sale, has them in the fall also. No vendor's license required, you pay for a space and a table if needed. I spoke with the pastor's wife, she is a very, very sweet lady.

If you attend either of these you can ask other vendors the names of other places to sell.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:25 PM

720 posts, read 995,065 times
Scott, do you know about Etsy? Here is the link to the site.
https://www.etsy.com/?ref=si_home

There is already quite a bit of jewelry on there but I had some success with it when I was making jewelry. It only costs .$20 to list an item for 4 months. Then they take a small percentage when you sell something.

It is worth a try perhaps.
Good luck with finding a home and work.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 AM

Serenity1944
Thank you very much for all the information. I appreciate the time and effort you invested in answering my post. Although it would be for the future, I'm gonna check out that 62+ community. I'd never thought about church craft fairs and will research that idea. I'm real close to that Baptist church and I'll check it out. You gave me some ideas. Thanks again S-44!
Scott

Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 AM

Roberta Wa
Yeah...ETSY. I checked that site out a few months ago. Then I forgot the name of the site and never got back to it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll check it out.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 PM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
About Etsy... I checked out that site and some others in the last 6 mos. Not impressed. Before you would join read the reviews. Many that tried selling their jewelry said they got no sales, one said she sold only 1 item during the course of ? a year. Comments were that there are too many selling jewelry and thus lack of sales.

On Sunnyside Pointe Villas - they have 1 and 2 bedrooms w/ garage so you and your sister could still live together. If you move there, per my friend, if someone you know rents a house you would get $200 off your next rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson