Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

We got married at The Spanish Trail Motel in 1978. My wife Laura worked there as a bar manager & I was playing with a trio who played in a big old donkey cart that would sit above the crowd. We decided to use the place because they gave us some great deals on rooms, serving our food (spoiling 60 lbs. of vilia by putting it into coolers too soon without stirring) but everything was super. We had a streaker run through when we were outside dancing by the pool! We had 3 adjacent rooms and partied for 2 days straight. We loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 12:38 AM

10 posts, read 24,683 times
Right across the highway from 'The Spanish Trail' is an old motel now called 'The Lazy 8' but back in 1944 it was 'The Sage and Sand' and it was a very decent place to stay. My mother, who'd been living in Hastings, Nebraska, had just lost her husband to the War and so she met up there, that Summer, with a group of other recent War Widows who decided to all live there while they made new plans for their futures. I still have a few photographs of them sunbathing in the center of its grassed quadrangle (which now has a pool installed). It deteriorated over the ensuing decades and I don't know what it's like now - but the original motel was only the Spanish styled part. The large multi-story building in the rear was added many years later. I don't know how long 'The Silver Saddle Restaurant' next door has been there, but I'll bet that some kind of restaurant was there in the 40's, as well.

Yes, things change. That's why people take pictures! During that same time period, the main approach into Downtown was by way of South 6th and the confluence of South 6th, East and West 18th and Stone Ave was a major player. Restaurants, gas stations and lodging were successful in that spot. I think that area is still called '5 Points'. I can feel the ghosts of those days whenever I'm in that area.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:16 AM

21 posts, read 90,671 times
South Tucson sign is an eyesore, must come down
Tim Steller Arizona Daily Star Apr 27, 2014

Steller: South Tucson sign is an eyesore, must come down | Local news | tucson.com

Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 908 times
I played music at the Spanish Trails Motel with a Polynesian revue called The Kona Coasters in January of 1973. I remember the date because while we were there LBJ died.

There were eight of us. The musicians were a drummer, a guitar player, a male singer who also played islands drums sometimes, and me on the organ and bass. We had three girl dancers and one male dancer who did a fire dance.

One of the things I remember was being out at the pool one day. I had started to read a book called Honor Thy Father by Gay Talese, about the Bonanno crime family. I started reading Chapter 3, which began "I drove into the Spanish Trails Motel in Tucson" ... I looked around and closed the book and never finished it. LOL

Last edited by ibdense; 03-23-2018 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson