Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of help immediately!! My husband lost his job about a month ago,our car was repossessed, and I have been trying to find work since April. I have spoke to the churches and they gave me a packet of resources, so for the last two months I have been trying all these places to get some help with rent/utilities. We owe some money for last months rent plus over $200 in late fees because my landlord charges $25 a day for late fees, Friday is the first and we have absolutely no money!! I was able to find a job but it will still be two weeks before I get a check, and with only making 7.90 an hr @ 30 hrs a week, this will be impossible to support my family especially when were behind. On top of it my power will be shut off shortly. I have an Obama phone, so for the last two months I'm out of min. in the beginning of the month, because I try admittedly calling these places to get help and when I'm able to get through they are out of funding and I'm out of min. One place I called states to call beginning on the first at 9 a.m at 9:01 they were out of funding. This is so frustrating. I'm diabetic and the stress is causing major problems with my health.
I need some help and fast, is there anyone out their that has some advice for me and my family, I don't want us to be out on the streets, but it is getting close to that. I'm trying, I have a job now and my husband is looking for one. It makes it hard when we now have no car and no money for the bus, I was able to get the money for a bus pass so I can get back and forth to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,989 times
Call a temporary with the "obama" phone, and your husband wil be working the same day. Might not be the most glamorous job, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...
It can't be all that bad, you have a computer and are on line.........

Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,609 times
Yep - check with day labor and temp agencies. Also the Craigslist 'gigs' section has been helpful to me on more than one occasion - you have to skip through all the "Young Girls Wanted" ads, but there's usually at least a few "labor help needed" and other type of jobs which sometimes pay pretty well, actually. I'm unemployed now, but yesterday I picked up a good bit of cash helping a company move into a new office, thanks to the Craigslist gigs section.

Work with the unemployment office - they have access to resources that may not immediately occur to you.

Also, see about any nearby bars/restaurants that could use help - they usually have a constantly rotating crew and I've been hired on the spot in the past after walking in and inquiring. Bonus: if your job involves tips that means money now, rather than money later.

Think outside of the box about what you might be able to do to bring some money in. I'm a 37-year old man, but I've done babysitting gigs to raise some extra funds, for example (and actually paid better/was easier than any day laboring job I ever had!) Just remember that in these times the hardest job is finding the job and any moment when you aren't looking something may pop up and someone else may take it.

Talk to your landlord - I can't imagine any Tucson landlord hasn't dealt with rent problems and it's certainly best to be right upfront about it. But, if they aren't helpful, look up local laws about eviction - find out what your rights are and what your landlord's rights are as soon as possible. In most cases, though, they can't simply show up and kick you out.

As for the phone, try Skype? Assuming your internet connection remains running it's $2.99 a month, I believe, for unlimited local service.

If you do work and you are on unemployment, even if the pay is under the table, remember to report it when you file. The last thing in the world you want is for someone to find out and then you have to repay your unemployment ...

Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
It can't be all that bad, you have a computer and are on line.........
REDHEDGIRL could be using computer/internet at the library or at a neighbor's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: