U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 17,325 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I would like to move back to the Tucson area and am doing some research.

Housing budget $200K or less. Currently live in Southern California. We want to be closer to family in AZ and Mexico.

Looking for all the family oriented stuff, great schools, neighborhoods, activities for kids, etc. I would be working downtown.

I previously lived in the area (2006-2008) in Green valley's Los Arroyos Meritage community right next to the super walmart. We liked it and I was commuting to downtown back then too. Commute was not bad at around 25-30 mins into downtown on i-19. Home prices were HIGH back then so I couldn't even afford to be at any of the places I'm interested in now.

I'm looking at a few different areas and would like some input on each if possible as far as schools, convenience to shopping, commuting to downtown, and anything you can think of.

I've been reading the other threads but most are older than a year so that is why I'm asking again.

Here are the areas I'm looking at, please let me know what your opinions are.

Oro Valley, Rancho Sahuarita, Rita Ranch/Civano (vail schools), Continental Ranch.

I appreciate any comments.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 AM

8,874 posts, read 13,895,021 times
Not much changes in a year around here. Six or seven years ago home prices WERE much higher. But they went way down with the housing crisis and while they have improved recently are still nowhere near where they were when you lived in Los Arroyos.

You really haven't been specific enough about your questions for people to supply good information. Downtown is big and surface-street routes vary widely, so you should say WHERE downtown you will be working. Do you want public schools? Your top price for a home is $200,000 but what KIND OF HOME? Number of bedrooms? Yard? Pool?

I live in unincorporated Pima County between Marana and Oro Valley, just a couple of miles from the NW campus of Pima Community College. We have reasonable access to I-10, great shopping and all the suburban amenities and a well-regarded school district (Canada del Oro HS). You could get a very nice, less-than-10-year-old house here in a well-kept development for under your price, some even with a pool and/or a three-car garage. But my area isn't on your list, so I won't go into detail.

But if you lived near Rancho Sahuarita and liked it, and it probably has the best access to Mexico if you go there a lot, is there a reason why it's not at the top of your list now? There are currently MANY houses for sale there $150,000 or under ranging in size from 1,400 sq ft to 1,720 sq ft, one or two stories with attached garages. Most of them were built between 2002 and 2007 and all have access to the great rec center and other family-oriented amenities of Rancho Sahuarita. I think that community is a real estate bargain (although I know nothing about the schools). I think prices are still low there because many residents were foreclosed on during the mortgage crisis so there was a lot of inventory for too few buyers for several years. But that could certainly work to your price advantage if you like the area.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 AM

332 posts, read 507,138 times
I suggest you look at the Vail area. The best school district in the area and it is a buyers market for newer homes. I teach at the county firearms range called the Southeast Regional Park and am a regular at the Vail Steakhouse.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 17,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I live in unincorporated Pima County between Marana and Oro Valley, just a couple of miles from the NW campus of Pima Community College. We have reasonable access to I-10, great shopping and all the suburban amenities and a well-regarded school district (Canada del Oro HS). You could get a very nice, less-than-10-year-old house here in a well-kept development for under your price, some even with a pool and/or a three-car garage. But my area isn't on your list, so I won't go into detail.

Thanks for your response Jukesgrrl, I originally was being too specific and my post turned into an essay which I figured no one was going to want to take the time to read so I did a summary post.

My destination downtown would be the parking lot next to the Federal Courthouse, right off the I-10 and Congress, that is where I used to park before and I figure I would park there again this time were I to get the job.

For a house, my search parameters are: single story, no pool, 1,500-1,800 sq.ft., 3-4 bed/ 2-2.5 bath. yard I would say 7-8K sq.ft lot would be ideal but larger would be nice but probably out of my budget, I'm ok with good public schools. I wouldn't mind renting the first year but would like to do so in the area we would plan on staying to avoid moving schools/areas again.

Those areas are the ones I'm considering because they are the ones I'm most familiar with, I am not familiar with your area but I'd like to know more if you can provide more information(cross streets or names of the communities). I was not able to find a Canada del Oro HS, only a Canyon del Oro HS in Oro Valley close to Oracle Rd. What streets would you say limit the good NW area to the west and south?

Looks like access to the I-10 would be through Twin Peaks road from where you are, I just saw today that they are breaking ground later this month on the Tucson Outlet Center on Twin Peaks just west of the I-10, do you see any potential problems with freeway access due to this?

I also know there are good areas on the East side of town but would probably be a nightmare commute every day.

The advantage Oro Valley/NW area has over Rancho Sahuarita is that it is closer to more things, the drawback is that from what I've been reading it can take 40+ mins to downtown in rush hour traffic.

Rancho Sahuarita is nice, plus my wife has a sister that lives there, but there are a few new schools which are not doing very good according to their ratings and if you want to do any shopping besides walmart and fry's you have to drive to Tucson. You are right, prices are the lowest here out of all the places I've been looking into and there are still price reductions going on.

I know if I was looking only at schools the top option would be anything in the Vail school district. In there I'm looking at Rita Ranch and Civano areas, I like the house styles in the Civano areas a little more than those in Rita Ranch, plus I'm a little scared of the train tracks being so close to Rita Ranch, how is the noise and is it at all hours of the day and night? Also in this area there doesn't seem to be a lot of shopping options, just like Rancho Sahuarita(but with not as many community amenities) Fry's and a new walmart, Unless you go north into Tucson. Commuting should be about the same as from Rancho Sahuarita unless the I-10 gets crazy during Rush Hour but from what I remember it flows ok.

Continental Ranch is the one I have the least info on...I have to keep researching this community but it seems like a good option too.

I think my top two areas right now are Rancho Sahuarita and NW/Oro Valley area, although Vail is very tempting with its great schools.

Salpointe59, Thank you, I have been looking at the area and it seems quite nice but a little far from everything, which attracts me but not the family. I might have to go visit the range once I'm in town though.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM

915 posts, read 2,170,057 times
You mentioned you wished to be closer to family both in AZ and Mexico, so it'd seem to me you'd be better off south of Tucson (Sahuarita area perhaps ). From there it'd be a straight run on 19 down to the border point of entry. I live in Green Valley (winters) and think the other town a nice one.

Best of luck,

Rich
Cape Cod / Green Valley

Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 PM

332 posts, read 507,138 times
Sahuarita schools are not ad either. When I was a kid only farmers lived on the Continental Ranch. I was the PE instructor twice a week when I was in college. I've seen it grow.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:46 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,426,422 times
The commute from O-V to downtown every day would get very tiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or