Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 AM

19 posts, read 49,499 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I'm 60 years old and more or less retired (working part-time over the internet, so I can choose to live wherever I want). I'm currently living in Albuquerque, but I'm looking to relocate to someplace warmer and with less wind (gets too chilly for me in the winter here in ABQ and it's too windy). So, couple of questions -

1) Is it very windy in Tucson? I'm guessing not as bad as most of New Mexico. Would like to hear from someone who has lived in both places and could offer a first-hand comparison.

2) How is the pollen in Tucson in the spring and summer? Do people complain about allergies?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 AM

9,511 posts, read 16,448,668 times
I'm 64 and semi retired, I still work part-time. I moved to Tucson Aug 1 from Massachusetts. I like it here, but I am having some serious allergy problems here. I have always had sinus troubles, and they seem to be continuing here. A new allergy problem I have seemed to develop here is in my eyes. They are itching and watering almost every day. I don't know if its dry eye or just pollen in the area. I'm going to have to go to a Doctor over this new development, as it's getting worse. At first I thought it was pink eye, but it seems to come and go.

I haven't noticed a lot of wind in Tucson. Yet anyway. Actually there was just one day, when I was on my bike that it seemed rather windy. When it's not muggy here, it is very dry like Albuquerque. I have visited ABQ a number of times, and almost every time I have been there I get a nose bleed from the dryness. Haven't had that happen in Tucson. I would think Tucson and ABQ would be very similar, other than it gets colder and more windy in ABQ.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Jimrob1 - thanks for the reply. Good to know that the wind doesn't seem to be much of an issue there. As I write, it's gusting here in ABQ (20 - 30 mph). With little vegetation to hold in the soil, it's always fun being outside when it's windy here -- grit in the mouth, nose, ears, and eyes...LOL.

Sorry to hear about your allergy and eye issues. Hopefully, you will find something to clear this up. There's a good chance I'll relocate to Tucson next year, so I'm hoping I won't run into significant allergy problems there. I notice it in Albuquerque every spring (trees), then there's a lull in June. The monsoons hit in July and that just causes more weeds to grow, leading to more allergy issues later in the summer.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM

9,595 posts, read 31,624,525 times
Definitely not nearly as windy in Tucson as it is in Albuquerque and definitely not as cold in the Winter but about the same in the Summer.

A little off topic but . . . many years ago a close friend of mine who is a Nutritionist recommended taking at least 1,000 mg (1,500 at first) of Vitamin C twice a day to combat allergies. I thought it was kinda goofy but figured it was worth a try. After a few months I started noticing an improvement and have not been bothered with allergies ever since. A Vitamin C with breakfast and Vitamin C at bedtime has become a routine for me ever since.

Sure beats sniffling, sneezing and red eyes.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Sorry to say, the allergy problems you describe in Albuquerque are exactly the same here. I've had problems from pollen allergies everywhere I ever lived, but they are especially bad here. The entire Sonoran Desert is filled with desert grasses and weeds such as every variety of ragweed, triangle-leaf bursage, desert broom, and something called wing scale. Mesquite and palo verde trees are in virtually every other yard in greater Tucson and they produce allergenic pollens. I look like I have a bad cold the entire time the Palo Verde trees are in bloom. They are a pretty sight, but not to me. People think of the washes that run throughout Tucson as dry ditches most of the year. But in fact they are all quite green, filled with weeds that get worse every time the washes get any water in them.

Also, it is very windy in Tucson. That is how the pollen proliferates. The experts say that pollen can travel as much as 20 miles a day due to the wind here. There are more windy days than not where I live in the Northwest suburb and before rainstorms can get dangerously high. I had a hardwood dining room hutch on my patio that I used to store gardening equipment. In a storm that wasn't even particularly bad, a gust picked it up and blew it into the middle of my backyard with such force it was smashed into pieces. It's quite common for the pool toys in my neighbor's swimming pool to end up in my back yard. I can't even see her pool from my house and our properties are separated by a six-foot block wall.

The University of Arizona's Health Sciences Center is an authoritative source of information on pollen and allergies in our region.
Tucson urban and desert pollen calendars -test

Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM

360 posts, read 1,530,569 times
Default What about cotton?

Thank you, Jukesgrrl. Great post, as always. Wish I could rep you again!

I am suffering here in N. Alabama, as the cotton fields are being defoliated. Is there still much cotton grown in Pima county? From what I read, most of it is grown in Pinal county and other areas to the North. Does cotton or other crop farming impact anyone with allergies? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Jukesgrrl - thanks for information....although it was disappointing news to me. I'll check out the Tucson weather a little more via online resources - surprised that you said it's "very windy" in Tucson.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 PM

719 posts, read 988,011 times
On more than one occasion our plane leaving Tucson has been delayed due to wind.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:16 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,551,477 times
My son never had allergies when we lived in CO, but as soon as we moved to Oro Valley, he started experiencing awful allergies. He sounded like he had a horrible cold; he coughed, nose ran constantly and his eyes watered all the time. He was absolutely miserable, and was eating Benadry non-drowsy like candy, it seemed.

A year ago he moved to the Tucson Mall area, and his allergies immediately cleared up. He's not around the dust, pollen, and whatever else is in the air up here in OV. But when he visits, within hours, it all starts again. He stays inside because even going outside to use the pool makes his allergies act up.

When the monsoons come in August, it's like Biloxi, MS around here with steamy heat and humidity and that really bothers me. Otherwise, the wind and dust get me, but fortunately, not the pollen.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:20 PM

522 posts, read 1,566,298 times
I also all depends on what you are allergic to. I am allergic to mold so the drier it is the better I am. When we are in Tucson I can breath and I don't get constant sinus headaches. The same goes for my sons. We were in Tucson over Labor Day weekend and they also had clear sinuses. I wouldn't know about problems with pollen because it never really bothered me.

I also agree with Bummer about vitamin C. I take 2000 mg/day (1000 in the morning and 1000 in the evening) and since I have been doing this I have not had a sinus infection. I used to get them almost 1x/month but in the 3 years that I have been taking vitamin C I have not had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson