Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 AM

162 posts, read 261,947 times

Advertisements

This is my very first post! I think I have read almost every other post about Tucson/Basis/Rancho Saharita... (my eyes are pretty tired at this point). ) Great reading!

My family and I will be visiting Tucson for a week at the end of November in hopes of figuring out whether we will move there permanently. We imagine living in Rancho Sahuarita and sending our daughter to Basis.

Based on what I've read, my husband's commute (downtown tucson) should be a piece of cake, but my daughter's commute to Basis (2nd grade) will be a bear. (Someone posted that going east and west in central Tucson during rush hour adds quite a bit of driving time to one's commute.)

My hope is to find a mom (or friends of moms) that can share their experiences with me regarding life in Rancho Sahuarita and/or life as a Basis Mom.

I live in New Jersey, so hearing from other New Jerseyans that have relocated to Tucson AZ would be great. I am really eager to find out how other NJ residents handled the change in weather, culture, etc.

Jukesgrrl, I think I read a post of yours that said you are originally from the east coast. I would really love to talk (in person if you are comfortable doing so).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their informative posts. ) I learned so much already.

Sincerely,

Moving To Tucson

Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,148 times
I'm assuming that you mean you will be commuting with your daughter from downtown (your husband's drop-off) to the Basis school at Speedway and Alvernon? This will be pretty easy, actually. I often drive from downtown to Speedway/Country Club in the mornings (around 7am) and it's very quick and easy. I prefer to take Broadway to avoid any UA traffic but even that is not bad.

The traffic problems discussed on this thread are pretty overblown compared to most places in the country, and certainly in the case of this route. Compared to some of what you might have seen in Jersey you may chuckle a little at the "traffic problems" you run into in Tucson.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks, BajaAZ. ) I definitely hope that Tucson traffic will be "better". )

A realtor recently told me that South Meyer (my husband's office) to East 2nd (Basis) would take a good 20 minutes. Mapquest says 12, so maybe 20 is reasonable with traffic? I will remember Broadway for when we're visiting. We will test the commutes: "Sahuarita to Meyer / Meyer to 2nd" to see what they're like.

Here is a list of things I would like to know more about (ANYONE CAN POST!!!) )

1) Allen's Organics / Bountiful Baskets - other organic options?
2) Adobe Homes - is 1945 "old"? Common major issues / upkeep costs? Is it worth it?
3) Aquatics - year round... family friendly... swim team option...
4) Sam Hughes - or are there better central areas?
5) Rancho Sahuarita - first-hand info preferred, but second-hand will do! )
6) Basis - any chance for a school to open in Sahuarita? The Boosters (Rancho to Basis)?
7) Rentals - strictly 2 people per bedroom? A 1br is enough for me, my hubby and my 7 year old for now. I can make due with fewer bedrooms in order to have a nicer rental in a nicer area.
8) Most competitive gymnastics facility - Gymnastics World?
9) Do "snow-birds" significantly affect travel time within Tucson? If so, what months?
10) Realtors that handles Rentals - mine doesn't, so I may need to switch.
11) Indian/Asian food stores - gotta have it.
12) Neighborhoods east of Randolph Golph Course - Such properties as this interest me (HOA not given): 3940 E Timrod St # 225, Tucson, AZ 85711 is For Sale - Zillow
13) Classical Conversations?
14) Passion Church?
15) Gap Ministries?
16) Central Tucson - is it a good place to raise a family? Is a community (Rancho) better? I hope to hear from families living in Central Tucson.
17) What places should my family visit while there for 9 days at the end of November?

I am tired of thinking.... ) but this is what I would like to know. Thanks to all who shed a little light on these topics for me. )

Sincerely,

Moving To Tucson (hopefully!)

Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving To Tucson View Post
A realtor recently told me that South Meyer (my husband's office) to East 2nd (Basis) would take a good 20 minutes. Mapquest says 12, so maybe 20 is reasonable with traffic? I will remember Broadway for when we're visiting. We will test the commutes: "Sahuarita to Meyer / Meyer to 2nd" to see what they're like.
Yeah - between 12 and 20 minutes sounds about right depending on the time of day.

Quote:
2) Adobe Homes - is 1945 "old"? Common major issues / upkeep costs? Is it worth it?
The answer to this question varies pretty wildly - if you are looking at an older adobe home make sure you get a good home inspection done. Generally speaking they hold up pretty well, but the good and bad of Tucson's weather is that some folks feel like they can let a problem go for a long time since it's not too rainy, not too cold, etc.. So some of these homes have developed real problems over the years, but if they have been cared for they are wonderful - and well worth it.

Quote:
4) Sam Hughes - or are there better central areas?
16) Central Tucson - is it a good place to raise a family? Is a community (Rancho) better?
Sam Hughes is very nice as are some of the other nearby neighborhoods. I wouldn't say any of them are "better" than Sam Hughes, as that neighborhood stands as the gold standard for central Tucson neighborhoods with a family orientation.

As for this being a good area to raise your children - that really depends on how you want to raise them. These would be dramatically different upbringings. A neighborhood like Sam Hughes, being right next to the University could be a fantastic amenity - imagine taking a quick walk to the planetarium and how much your child may enjoy that. There are nice museums, and also very good library amenities there. None of these would be available within a short distance of Sahuarita, of course, but Sahuarita would be free of the general concerns of having a child in the city - there is always a small amount of inherent danger to that.

I have friends who have gone both roads. When I talk to the parents who live out in the suburbs they describe it as "nice" and "safe" and the like. When I talk to the parents who live more centrally they describe it as "exciting." Both are happy and their kids are, of course, fine.

Quote:
7) Rentals - strictly 2 people per bedroom? A 1br is enough for me, my hubby and my 7 year old for now. I can make due with fewer bedrooms in order to have a nicer rental in a nicer area.
Depending on your budget you may not have to. Rents are not terrible high in Tucson. But if you do need to go the 1bdrm route, most people will make a rule out of it but I can't imagine them checking. When I was 18 I rented a studio with a clear clause that only 1 person could inhabit the space. Of course I got a roommate first thing and we lived like it was a dorm room. Never had a problem.

Quote:
9) Do "snow-birds" significantly affect travel time within Tucson?
Not really. You'll notice an increase but it's not bad - really the only "bad" times are near any shopping malls around Christmas shopping season. Since Tucson lacks "shopping districts," these giant malls are a magnet to everybody in the region.

Quote:
I couldn't personally recommend any, but you are seeing a number of these pop up in town. Good news for Tucson, as it points to greater diversity.

Quote:
12) Neighborhoods east of Randolph Golph Course - Such properties as this interest me (HOA not given): 3940 E Timrod St # 225, Tucson, AZ 85711 is For Sale - Zillow
I've actually stayed here back when it was part of the hotel nearby. They would rent them out as long-term accommodation and an employer put me up there for a couple weeks. Nice places - noise didn't seem to be a problem, and that little slice of neighborhood there is pretty nice. My brother lived for years in the condos across Timrod and loved it there too - might be worth a look.

Quote:
17) What places should my family visit while there for 9 days at the end of November?
This is something you will get a lot of opinions on, and you won't have time to do it all, but here are my suggestions without really knowing you personally:

1) Drive Catalina Highway all the way to the top. It's beautiful and a real Tucson treasure - a pretty short drive, too, for all that you get to see.
2) Hike. Wasson Peak and Sabino Canyon are fun places to start. Pusch Ridge is good if you are experienced and feeling adventurous.
3) The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and Old Tucson (paired die to proximity to one another).
4) Shop around for deals at the resorts - many times they will feature discounted "day passes" where you can enjoy the amenities of the resort without staying a night. Great pools, great food, plenty of fun and relaxation to be had for children and adults alike.
5) Colossal Cave.
6) The Saguaro National Monument (East and West, as the one park is divided into two parts on either side of the city). East has a nice loop drive, approximately 8 miles, which is also a really fun bike ride.
7) Downtown and 4th Avenue by day if you like to people watch and grab coffees and food and microbrews. By night if you like a younger crowd out to party.
8) The University of Arizona, some of the amenities of which I listed above.
9) If you are doing short road trips look into the Sonoita and Patagonia regions, Tombstone (yep, "The Tombstone," OK Corral and all), Tubac and Bisbee.
10) Mexico. It's right there, and it can be a fun place to visit.

Etcetera - you'll get lots of good suggestions for this, I'm sure. It's a beautiful place.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:27 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
I would certainly look at the Tanque Verde area during your November visit. You could have your second grader picked up near your front door by a bus and even though the school district isnt a 10 its a 9. The home prices will be higher of course but it will have a real Sonoran desert feel to it. I think it would be a terrific area to raise a child and have a child going to the same school with all the neighbor children.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Here is my take on some of your questions.

1) The commute between Sahuarita to Tucson is very easy. There is not a lot of traffic anywhere until you get to Valencia Rd. Between Valencia and Ajo, there is generally a slow down. Once you get past that, there is no traffic along I-19. I can commute from Green Valley (Continental Rd.) to the UA campus in 30-35 minutes and it is the EASIEST commute that I have ever had.

2) Most "snow birds" in the area come to Green Valley for Greed Valley, NOT Tucson. Also, they tend to stay off the road during rush hours.

3) Rancho Suhuarita is a very nice community. They have a lot of activities and a good diversity of people living in the community. Do realize that most of the housing is newer (post 1990) and that some of the shopping opportunities/ restaurants are somewhat limited.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 AM

I just want to say a truly sincere and heart-felt THANK YOU to those who have posted so far.

It blesses my heart (sorry to get gushy) to hear these things.

It is one thing to THINK this move will work, but it's another thing altogether to KNOW (based on all that you've all been saying) that it can work.

Obviously we need to make sure my hubby can get a job transfer.... and of course I have to face the Basis lottery system..... BUT..... it's so great knowing that the life I hope to have there is potentially within reach. )

Anyway, thanks for that.

I will take time tonight to, more specifically, ask a few more questions regarding some of the responses given so far..... but for now I just wanted to send out a heart-felt "thanks". )

Sincerely,

Moving To Tucson

Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,730 times
Quote:
There's a number of Asian food stores; I can't say I know of any Indian, but I am sure there's at least one. I suspect Lee Lee would have a lot of what you are looking for since they are a "world market".

I go to G&L Imports most of the time since it is fairly large and close to me, but if I am on the NW side then it is Lee Lee.

G & L Import Export Corp - Myers - Tucson, AZ | Yelp

Lee Lee International Supermarket

Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
The one property you mentioned at 3940 E. Timrod appears to be a converted apartment building. It does have a garage though. I am partial to anything North of Speedway and east of the University. Here is one I found that is $133,000 and has almost 1500 square feet and three bedrooms. It at 5309 Beverly Fair Drive and its about 4 miles from the University. Its in a small condo community with a pool..probably not heated in the winter. You can do a google search since you arent supposed to link to real estate.

Most of the older construction that looks like adobe is actually stucco over masonry. The newer construction is also stucco but stucco over wood frame. Much of the masonry is "slump block" which looks like brick. They call it slump block because when it was taken out of the mold it slumped before being fired. Almost all new construction is stucco over frame-wood.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM

BajaAZ,

Just had another question or two:

1) "An older adobe home" = 1945? (I am interested in 2728 East 6th Street.)
2) Would you buy a home on 6th? (I know it's a busy street.)
3) If you were to bid on 2728, what would you offer? It is a short-sale.
2) Can you explain what you mean by the "family orientation" of Sam Hughes and other such neighborhoods? Are there many families with young kids in that area? My daughter is 7. PS- thanks for the "places to visit" list. )

Did you grow up in Tucson? I know you mentioned Timrod at 18 yrs.

Anyway..... awesome chatting with you and thanks so much. My second list of questions will be coming soon... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson