Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,316 times

Advertisements

This is a question for all the transplants and snowbirds. How do you rate the food in Tucson? Good/bad as compared to your previous/current location?

Which restaurants are your favorite? If you had out of state guests, which place would you choose?

Any decent places that have midwestern or east coast food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Who goes to Tucson for "midwestern food"??? Isn't Tucson known for Mexican food?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Who goes to Tucson for "midwestern food"??? Isn't Tucson known for Mexican food?
You obviously misunderstood my question. If one is a midwestern or eastcoast transplant, one cannot survive on mexican food alone.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 AM

83 posts, read 476,123 times
We are originally from the east coast, and have done a lot of traveling. We have found some mediocre restaurants and a few great ones in Tucson. Here are a few of the ones that we like:

Tavolino on Oracle, great Italian Food.

Wild Flower on Oracle

Montana Avenue on Grant

Blue Fin in La Encantada, best fish in the city.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:46 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecloebl View Post
Blue Fin in La Encantada, best fish in the city.
I can second this recommendation, was just up there the other night and had the best oysters I've ever had in Tucson. I asked the waiter about them and he said they fly them in fresh daily.. not sure if it's true or not, but it sure tasted like it!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Brooklyn Pizza -- 4th Avenue and between 5th and 6th Street (best pizza west of the Mississippi)

Zachary's (Chicago-style pizza/Italian) -- 6th Street near Park Avenue

Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM

64 posts, read 263,004 times
Tucson has some great food. Whenever my family visits from the east coast they're always pretty surprised. As far as NY Pizza goes, the closest goes to Sauce for their regular pepperoni-trust me- try it. I've eaten at all the NYC spots Lombardi's, Bleeker St., and despite not advertising it as NY Pizza, Sauce is the closest(I actually like it better).

For Mexican try-
Blanco: Tacos and Tequila (modern)
Zivas (modern)
Las Cazuelitas (traditional)
Guadalajara Grill (traditional)
La Parilla Suiza (Mexico City style)
BK Tacos (best tacos in Tucson)

Other restaurants I love:
Wildflower
Montana Ave.
Argenziano's (Corona de Tucson)
Sauce
The Good Egg
Claim Jumpers(ok so it's a chain, shoot me, but it isn't in the midwest now is it?)
RA Sushi

there are lots more I'm sure I'll see down the list.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
If anyone prefers to drink their meals . . .

The BESTEST Micro Brewery in Tucson is THUNDER CANYON at the Foothills Mall.

The food is very good, however, the ALES are the absolute BEST.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,713 times
El Minuto has good Mexican food

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
I'm from Maryland, which is pretty much known for all things seafood (crabs, crabcakes, rockfish, etc). I've tried one crabcake here and also some steamed shrimp. There's no seafood that compares to MD... sorry.

But I like the fact that there are several restaurants where you can get an awesome meal without breaking the bank. My favorites are:

Feast - their menu changes monthly and they have a great wine list and wine tastings that are very casual and good for those who don't know a lot about wines.

Las Candelas - it's not easy to find, but the food is great.

Loving Spoonfuls - All vegan restaurant, but great for anyone. They've got "fried chicken" that actually tastes like chicken... I have no idea how they do it.

Cuvee - I heard ownership is changing, but hopefully the food isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson