Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

I've searched the boards but haven't found a thread related to this issue. In the past few weeks, several of the plants in my desert landscaping, notably a prickly pear cactus (opuntia) but others too, have developed a white growth. From afar, it looks like someone splashed bright white paint on the plant. Close up, it appears to be a fungus-like thing resembling flecks of white cotton.

On two of the plants (sorry, they were here before I was, so I don't know their name) it went away by itself and just this week it reappeared on one of the two. This weekend, the thing appeared on one of the three (now quite large) pear cactus the developer planted along the west side of the house.

About two miles from where I live I noticed a grouping of pear cactus along the roadside that is covered with the stuff and the plants look diseased. Mine currently appear to be healthy aside from the flecks of white stuff.

I've lived in this house for nine years and I've never seen this before on any of the plants. We've had rain more often than in any summer I've lived here, so could it be related to that? The queen palm in my yard also sprouted some beige brush-like things alongside the palm fronds that I've never seen before either.

Do any of you Tucson gardeners have any info or advice for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 04:51 PM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
I did a quick query on the net, assume you might have too but just in case -- I saw that it can be an insect that hides in a white growth that does look like a fungus…. it tells what to do to get rid of it.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
I did a quick query on the net, assume you might have too but just in case -- I saw that it can be an insect that hides in a white growth that does look like a fungus…. it tells what to do to get rid of it.
Yeah, it sure sounds like scale.

Cacti Care - Pests and Diseases On-line Guide to the positive identification of Members of the Cactus Family

https://www.google.com/search?q=cact...A&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Ken

Old 10-28-2014, 04:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Thanks, but it doesn't look like the photos of scale that are online and it's on other plants in addition to cacti.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:47 PM

344 posts, read 550,712 times
We're having an extended monsoon this year, some reports say it will continue until next spring with minibreaks. These happen every decade or so, this one is late/overdue and the frequency might go down as the area trends hotter/drier. Not my knowledge, but know some lifers who remember past floods and drenches.

So it's probably a fungus or something related to the extended humidity, and probably will go away when it stops, but might take some things with it when it does. If I wanted to fight it I'd be at a good nursery talking about fungicides.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,117 times
QUESTION:

Is there any kind of spray for our prickly pear that will help with the white fungus that has appeared on it?

ANSWER:

Most often when a white fungus-like substance appears on prickly pear it is an insect infestation not a fungus disease. It is easy to confirm this by seeing if you can scrape off the white fluff and if the white substance produces a bright red juice when it is squeezed between your fingers. If this is the case it is in fact the cochineal insect that is on your prickly pear.

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin

Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I would call the Pima Co. Extension Office at the U of A as that would be their specialty. I do NOT have a number as the university website is less than easy to navigate.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM

299 posts, read 545,230 times
Another idea would be to take it to a nursery as someone there may know what it is.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
Another idea would be to take it to a nursery as someone there may know what it is.
Although it is not exactly on Jukes' side of town, Mesquite Valley Growers would be my recommendation; great people and very knowledgeable. Civano would be my second choice, but they are even further away.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:24 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Are there any landscapers in your area, or landscape contractors? They usually know what plant diseases or fungi are. Some of my neighbors have landscapers, and I'd ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson