Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:23 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

I rarely post here in the Tucson forum, but where I live in the Phoenix area, ADOT has been installing some new logo signs on Phoenix area freeways. For those who don't know what I am talking about, logo signs are the big blue signs that show the logos of food, gas, lodging, camping, attraction, and 24-hour pharmacy businesses available at the next exit.

This program was previously restricted to the rural areas of Arizona, but is now being expanded to the urban areas of the state. Buildout in the Phoenix area is scheduled to be complete on most freeways by the end of 2016, with the exception of Loop 303 which is planned for 2018. Eventually freeways in the Tucson area will also be getting these signs, I presume beginning in 2017.

When I posted the news that these signs will be installed on Phoenix area freeways in the Phoenix forum, there was some minor opposition, with some stating the signs are unnecessary due to people having smartphones (since when should you be searching the web on a smartphone while driving at highway speeds?). However, as a whole there doesn't seem to be much opposition in the Phoenix area for these signs (most people I have spoken to in person support them), otherwise it would have been on the news, thus ADOT continues to install these signs in the Phoenix area.

However, for the Tucson area I have this weird feeling that there will be a lot of opposition for logo signs on local freeways. Unlike Phoenix, many Tucson residents seem to be opposed to infrastructure improvements, and it remains to be seen if there will be support for these signs. Note that the costs for these signs are mostly covered by the businesses who are willing to pay for a logo on them, thus it makes revenue for the state that taxpayers do not have to pay for.

How does anyone think Tucson area residents will welcome the installation of logo signs on local freeways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,858 times
I doubt you will see any real reaction from where you live in Phoenix. Sorry if this isn't the response you were fishing for, but in the interest of conversation I'm curious how this can be considered an "infrastructure improvement?"

Old 04-02-2015, 06:25 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaAZ View Post
I doubt you will see any real reaction from where you live in Phoenix. Sorry if this isn't the response you were fishing for, but in the interest of conversation I'm curious how this can be considered an "infrastructure improvement?"
Well, it is helpful for visitors who aren't familiar with the area, and brings in revenue to the state that we don't have to pay for. My concern is that Tucson residents might find these signs to be too obtrusive, especially a full 6-panel sign.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 PM

89 posts, read 146,108 times
I hate billboards and most ads, but those don’t bother me. They’re actually useful and great when you’re unfamiliar with the area and just want a coffee and fuel.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:33 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
I also certainly don't consider these signs an "infrastructure improvement"....

there are so many signs around the highways that I don't think these will cause general uproar....I suppose some may grumble about the advertising cluttering up the desert, or something.....

were you thinking that "liberal" Tucson would complain about this type of sign?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, it is helpful for visitors who aren't familiar with the area, and brings in revenue to the state that we don't have to pay for. My concern is that Tucson residents might find these signs to be too obtrusive, especially a full 6-panel sign.
Those blue signs can be very helpful. I find myself all over this state for work and those blue signs tend to dictate my food and gas stops throughout. I guarantee you road trippers from California to Florida and beyond passing through (especially on the 10) will be more likely to stop at certain exits when they know for sure there is gas or an inn n out or whatever.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
I don't think the logo signs will cause much reaction in Tucson. I'm not even sure that many in Phoenix really pay enough attention to even notice their presence. I often forget that they're new when I'm driving on Phoenix area freeways. I will admit that they're a nice touch when you're in a new area and looking for somewhere to get gas or a quick place for lunch. I'm sure they will be helpful to travelers on I-10 and I-19 in Tucson as well.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 AM

331 posts, read 465,374 times
When I'm on a road trip I think those signs are a good thing. I assume that they don't make life better or worse for locals.

To the OP: what's the basis for your "weird feeling that there will be a lot of opposition for logo signs" in the Tucson area?

I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious. I'm researching places to live that are outside the snow belt, and Tucson's on the short list. I've enjoyed Colorado's live and let live culture for nearly 40 years but I'm pretty much OVER the frigid winters.*

However, I don't want to live in a place where a lot of people get their shorts in a knot over something like a little sign on the freeway.

Is Tucson really like that??

---------------------------------
*I knew I was really over the winters here when I found myself nearly enraged every time I read one of those statements on the Denver/CO boards here to the effect that "Heck, Denver's winters are fine, not really cold at all. For cold you need to go to Buffalo/Chicago/Buttfart ND" or some other godforsaken frozen place. Hell yes it gets COLD here, even if it's not six months straight below 30 degrees. I have a circulatory condition that means I'm often in pain when out in the cold, even if all bundled up. It's not extreme but as I age I'm getting less inclined to deal with ANY nasty winter weather. /rant

Old 04-03-2015, 06:54 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,845 times
I don't think Tucson will freak over logo signs as much as they would over actual freeways being built there. Other than I-10 and I-19, nothing to talk about. What is now Kino Parkway was once planned to be I-710. AZ 210 is the closest to a new "freeway" in the Tucson area since I-10 and I-19 were built. There are talks about a future I-11 looping the Tucson area someday, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As far as logo signs on the urban stretches of freeway in Tucson, I think one of the first set of signs went up to help the businesses near I-10 and St. Mary's Rd. There used to be direct exit ramps to St Mary's Rd a long time ago. Now people have to exit at Speedway Blvd (EB/SB) or at Congress St (WB/NB) and use the frontage roads to access St Mary's Rd.

Last edited by swbrotha100; 04-03-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I'm always glad to see those exit signs when I'm traveling in strange cities or states. Helps me know what services are ahead, especially if I'm needing to stop for gas, food or lodging. I'm not opposed to them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson