U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 PM

26 posts, read 38,010 times

Advertisements

I heard this in one of the other posts where an Asian guy said he "hears racial comments" from time to time.
I am South Asian (from India), is OV bad place for me to move . I have 2 young kids in middle school. I am worried about them getting discriminated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 AM

522 posts, read 1,470,211 times
We don't live there as of yet but we have not experienced any. My wife is Brazilian and we see it here in the Chicago suburbs often. Our kids haven't had any issued but my wife has.

I think you will have some problem anywhere that you live. We bought a house in the western Foothills and everyone there has been extremely nice and we haven't had anyone treat my wife any different than anyone else that we have seen.

Most people think that she is Mexican but then they hear her accent and usually ask. Here we see it all the time. But again, we haven't seen it at all in Tucson. Possibly because Tucson is more diverse than the western Chicago suburbs. Here it is predominantly white and anyone that isn't kind of stands out. In Tucson, even in the Foothills we see people of all ethnicity so maybe this is the difference.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM

602 posts, read 633,053 times
Again! I am NOT a guy. ::grumble:: ::grumble::

Please go back and read everyone's response to your racial questions in your original post.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 PM

602 posts, read 633,053 times
Oh and the answer to your question is: No.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:46 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,040,566 times
I don't see how there could be too much racism against people from India in Oro Valley. The mayor of Oro Valley is Satish Hiremath, an American citizen of ethnic Indian origin. He was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1963 and is a practicing dentist.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM

134 posts, read 235,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't see how there could be too much racism against people from India in Oro Valley. The mayor of Oro Valley is Satish Hiremath, an American citizen of ethnic Indian origin. He was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1963 and is a practicing dentist.

Maybe right but, we have a black man in Washington DC born in the US and I'm not sure that means we have no racism in the US. Wouldn't it be nice to put racism to bed forever? When I left the country in 2006, thought it was pretty well done. When I returned almost 6 years later, I found it had reared it's ugly head once again. Pity!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM

96 posts, read 215,479 times
When we first moved here, a group of kids in a McDonald's near Oro Valley were making fun of an older Asian couple who were sitting at a booth. We immediately went to the manager about it and demanded that they speak to the group of kids. If you are white, you will probably never notice racism. However, we are American Indian so we notice and understand. There are areas of Tucson that are not as racist (far East side seems pretty open). There are areas that are quite racist. Oro Valley is not exempt. Oro Valley is quite caucasian for the most part. We moved here from the Seattle area where there is a lot of diversity (we had friends who were Asian, Pacific Islander, American Indian, Latino, African American, Russian, etc). This was quite the culture shock for us. Just my opinion.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 AM

96 posts, read 215,479 times
BTW, my son spent some time with a wonderful Indian family in an Indian community in Irving, TX. Huge Indian community there. He loved it. Wonderful people. I love your culture and how embracing the Indian community is to people from other cultures. You may want to check out Irving. Here is an article from a couple of years ago regarding Irving. Asian Indian population booming in Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Old 04-29-2015, 04:23 AM

26 posts, read 38,010 times
Thanks everyone for your responses! I personally have never experienced any racism towards me since I have moved to US in 1990's.
However, I have lived in North East all this time. This will be my first time actually living in South/West.
When I visited Oro Valley a few months back, I drove around a bit, even though it has a different landscape,it is beautiful place. Actually, I found people more courteous than in NE.
I have some anxiety but willing to take a chance , if I found it unbearable, I can always move

Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 AM

4,923 posts, read 7,859,328 times
Two of my neighbors are Indian from Cincinnati. They are incredibly delightful people. They are 1st generation, and in their late 60's. They have said OV is much kinder to them than Cincinnati. There is a small Indian community here, and a larger one in Tucson, so I don't think you'd find much prejudice. Like Jksn said, our mayor is Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson