Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:33 PM

61 posts, read 93,412 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in buying a house that has a backyard that looks out into an expansive vista. I'm wondering if there are any downsides that I should consider when contemplating this scenario. I've read all the threads I could find about scorpions, snakes, etc and it sounds like properties that border empty land will have more of those to deal with. Would increased crime also be an issue? I'm a young single woman. Anything I might be overlooking that you could point out to me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:15 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Build a 2-3' block wall with wrought iron around the property. Use snake guard fencing on gates. That will keep out 99% of crawlies. Spray the grounds, kills bugs, no bugs = no scorpions.

As for crime, lights, alarms, and guns should about cover it.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"I'm interested in buying a house that has a backyard that looks out into an expansive vista"....as far as I can see (pun intended) the benefits outweigh any potential critter downside.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-03-2015, 09:25 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Where, generally, is the house? By "expansive vista" are we talking open, native desert or...? Is there a wall around the yard now?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Build a 2-3' block wall with wrought iron around the property. Use snake guard fencing on gates. That will keep out 99% of crawlies. Spray the grounds, kills bugs, no bugs = no scorpions.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
One thing to keep in mind is whether or not someone can build on the empty land and block your view with a McMansion or a wall/fence/trees,etc.
We have wonderful view where we are, but the property to the west has been cleared, subdivided and streets put in. We will lose our mountain views the homes go up over there. At least our southern view will remain open.

Curly

Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Anytime you buy next to vacant property its a gamble, even if it is BLM land it can someday be sold to a developer. If your lucky nothing ever happens in your lifetime, or it can be developed into homes nicer than yours, trashier than yours, commercial development, a used car lot, a body farm, a rendering plant, etc, etc, etc, etc

Old 05-03-2015, 10:36 PM

61 posts, read 93,412 times
Thanks, everyone. All very useful information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

Great tips; thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I'm interested in buying a house that has a backyard that looks out into an expansive vista"....as far as I can see (pun intended) the benefits outweigh any potential critter downside.

Regards
Gemstone1
I agree! Hoping there aren't more downsides I haven't thought of other than the greater number of critters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Where, generally, is the house? By "expansive vista" are we talking open, native desert or...? Is there a wall around the yard now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is whether or not someone can build on the empty land and block your view with a McMansion or a wall/fence/trees,etc.
We have wonderful view where we are, but the property to the west has been cleared, subdivided and streets put in. We will lose our mountain views the homes go up over there. At least our southern view will remain open.

Curly
So sorry to hear you're losing your beautiful view. Thanks for the advice, though... I will definitely keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Anytime you buy next to vacant property its a gamble, even if it is BLM land it can someday be sold to a developer. If your lucky nothing ever happens in your lifetime, or it can be developed into homes nicer than yours, trashier than yours, commercial development, a used car lot, a body farm, a rendering plant, etc, etc, etc, etc
Yes, these are my concerns. Is there any land around Tucson that is completely protected? I see some nice homes on the outskirts of Tanque Verde, looking out into the "Santa Catalina Natural Area" (using GoogleMaps' terms; not sure what locals call these areas). I am assuming if one gets a property adjacent to these "natural" areas there's a high chance they won't be developed..? Is there a way to find out if there are any plans in the making -- public records I could search, etc?

The same goes for the Catalina Foothills, Oro Valley, Tuscon Estates. I'm looking for a property that borders some kind of protected area, if that's possible.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:49 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Check with your realtor about the issues you have. Check with your city's Planning and Zoning Dept about future zoning or growth plans for the area. Talk to existing neighbors about what they may know for future development.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:47 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Parks and Federally mandated Wilderness areas are pretty safe bets, but they do come with premium price tags. The holy grail of protected real estate is an in-holding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson