Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 AM

700 posts, read 922,770 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to their construction web cam. A big crane is going in there; and starting August 1, there will be a view to the steel erection, they say. Could be interesting. Also the view faces northwest, and that might yield some lovely daily sunsets for those of us far away, in exile.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...towerexpansion

Here's the blurb from the Sam Hughes neighborhood email list:

Quote:
Banner Hospital
Construction Update

*Upcoming Construction Milestone Activities Banner University Medical
Center Tucson:*

v *July 27, 2016: Crane delivery, 18 flatbed trucks will use Cherry Ave.
to delivery crane boom sections and counterweights to the jobsite during
daytime work hours 6:00 AM to 4:30 PM.*

v July 27 - 29, 2016: Crane erection, overall height approximately 400’,
crane will be lowered to 220’ during off hours.

v August 1 - December 3, 2016: Structural steel erection.

v September 13, 2016 - February 28th 2017: Concrete deck pours, starting
time will be midnight for most concrete activities.

*Crane fun facts:*

v The crane’s weight is 700,000 pounds when fully assembled.

v The 400’ height of the crane will exceed the overall height of the
tallest building in Tucson.

v Due to the excessive weight, the crane will need to be disassembled when
moving across existing onsite utility tunnels and then reassembled to
complete the steel erection.

v Christmas lights will be installed on the boom of the crane with
flashing strobe lights and orange checkered flag at highest point to alert
helicopter providers of the obstruction.

*Beginning August 1, watch the steel erection on our Webcam: *
(Also good for homesickness, there's the view of the Catalinas from the UA Computer Science Department in Gould Simpson on campus: Arizona Webcam)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM

723 posts, read 1,002,009 times
Thanks for the link WilmaWildcat. I too am still in exile as you put it so I love tuning in daily to the web cams. This gives me a new one! Coming out again in August before school starts for my grandson so I will get my fix until re-exiled until December!

Old 07-24-2016, 10:14 AM

404 posts, read 481,958 times
Have you guys seen this one?

Live From 4th

Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM

RobertaWa, how fun! I hope you have a wonderful time and that your grandson gets resettled well! I don't have any plans for another AZ trip at the moment. The previous trip we stayed at the Grand Canyon in a Bright Angel rim cabin last October for our 25th wedding anniversary. I forget if I mentioned it. That is still fresh in my mind, haha. Kind of a bucket-list trip.

I forgot I also consult the following web cam at the office of the Dean of the UA College of Optical Sciences. I like it particularly, because I used to work in the building it looks out on, the Lunar and Planetary Lab.

James C. Wyant - Web Camera

Quote:

Live From 4th
That looks like a good one; thanks! Bookmarked...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Looks like they are putting the big crane together now!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM

They finished up the crane work on the tower, I guess; and now they have moved the camera to view the new construction pit to the south. This view is really great; it gives a super nice view of "A" Mountain, all of campus, downtown and the southern part of the Tucson Mountains -- even the Coyote Mountains (Kitt Peak) in the distance. Very nice. Enjoy looking at it every day.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...towerexpansion

Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 PM

406 posts, read 626,412 times
The talk of new webcams and construction of a medical center in Tucson reminds me of TMC and the condition the builders had to adhere to from the donor of the land. TMC was only one floor to not obstruct the view of the mountains from nearby residents. Does anyone know if this still the case?

I looked up some pictures and one image that was apparently on TMC property is under construction and has multiple stories.

The image the OP provided was great by the way. I usually view the U of A Computer Sciences webcam that faces the Catalina Mountains.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,378,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
The talk of new webcams and construction of a medical center in Tucson reminds me of TMC and the condition the builders had to adhere to from the donor of the land. TMC was only one floor to not obstruct the view of the mountains from nearby residents. Does anyone know if this still the case?

I looked up some pictures and one image that was apparently on TMC property is under construction and has multiple stories.

The image the OP provided was great by the way. I usually view the U of A Computer Sciences webcam that faces the Catalina Mountains.
TMC built a new 4-story surgical tower, which opened in 2013?, I think. Before that, TMC was the largest one-story hospital in the country with 8 miles of hallways. While I can see the reasoning behind the donor's request, as TMC has grown it was basically "land locked" on all sides and the only way to expand and compete with UMC was to go up. TMC also has a few parking garages that are multiple stories.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
This one? https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/camera/

That's been my go-to view for a couple of decades; I love it. Always go by there first. Check out the "Video Vault" for vintage images going back to 2000.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,532,014 times

Live From 4th

Hey, thanks, dirtydan57, for that. 4th Ave. was one of our favorite Tucson hangouts when we used to cruise over there from Willcox to play on my "off-week" from work. I worked one week on then one week off at NCCH there in Willcox. We'd go to The Hut and watch bands play there. Kevin Pakulis was a favorite recording artist we saw. He even gave me his CD when it was new called 'Mockingbird Radio.'

I am interviewing for a position at UMC as we speak, so this is all too cool for school right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson