U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 AM
 
4 posts, read 12,213 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

There is an apartment for rent there 2 bed 1 bath for 1250. Is that asking too much or too little? I am a working college student from California who wants to move there with my wife and kid. Ppl everywhere on this forum are saying about how bad south tucson is. Is it really that bad? Especially the apt I am talking about which is only a couple of blocks away from the Police dept ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 84,127,445 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBradey View Post
There is an apartment for rent there 2 bed 1 bath for 1250. Is that asking too much or too little? I am a working college student from California who wants to move there with my wife and kid. Ppl everywhere on this forum are saying about how bad south tucson is. Is it really that bad? Especially the apt I am talking about which is only a couple of blocks away from the Police dept ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Really?

- 1st - it is too expensive; I find it hard to believe... particularly on this street; only very, very nice apartments of this size, in very nice locations, can go that high in Tucson
- 2nd - 29th St is notorious for drugs and crime! Do not rent there!

Generally you don't wanna touch anything on and South of 22nd up to about Pantano, Camino Seco going East. To some people even Broadway is the cut off. 29th St gets somewhat decent as far East as Harrison, but I don't recall apartments there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
 
4 posts, read 12,213 times
Reputation: 22
Thanks for the reply! Is Harrison a street? The apartment is on 3rd and 29th. Is that where the decent part of 29th is? *crosses fingers* As for the price I saw the listing online so hopefully its a typo. The reason I am really interested in it is because of its proximity to University of Arizona, where I plan to attend. From what you are saying, it sounds pretty horrendous. Can it really be all that bad? I used to live in San Fernando Valley in California. I am wondering if its the same. Is your opinion because you lived on or around 29th st? Or known others that live there? (I'm not trying to undermine your opinion , just want to get a really good idea thats all)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 84,127,445 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBradey View Post
Thanks for the reply! Is Harrison a street? The apartment is on 3rd and 29th. Is that where the decent part of 29th is? *crosses fingers* As for the price I saw the listing online so hopefully its a typo. The reason I am really interested in it is because of its proximity to University of Arizona, where I plan to attend. From what you are saying, it sounds pretty horrendous. Can it really be all that bad? I used to live in San Fernando Valley in California. I am wondering if its the same. Is your opinion because you lived on or around 29th st? Or known others that live there? (I'm not trying to undermine your opinion , just want to get a really good idea thats all)
Since 29th is a street, 3rd must be 3rd Ave (we have grid system). I hate even having to drive in this area, but that's me. People's tolerance varies widely. In any event, if you're willing to pay $1,250, you can certainly live in a decent 2-bedroom apartment some place else. Still, there's no way this is the correct price for 2/1 apartment in Tucson in this area. I think there are some nice high-rises in downtown that may be in this price range, but I'm not really familiar with them. Right now I'm paying $725 for 2/2, 980 sq.ft., on the East side, and that's even on month-to-month basis because I'll be moving soon. On a lease, the rent would be about $30 less.

What I was talking about 29th St getting decent at Harrison Rd is on the East Side. It's not for you if you want to be close to U of A. Most of 29th St. is just notorious in Tucson - I've never lived or plan to live on it and neither I know or want to know anybody living there... And as if this is not bad enough, your intersection falls into the boundaries of the City of South Tucson, which is by far the worst area in town. Try searching on 29St or South Tucson and you'll see what I'm talking about.

:: South Tucson :: (http://www.southtucson.org/user/department.php?choice=community&id=3 - broken link)



I can give you TPD's crime maps, http://tpdinternet.tucsonaz.gov/UCR/crmap/crmap.htm, but they don't include The City of South Tucson as it is its own city within Tucson.

I think this speaks volumes...

South Tucson has been struggling heavily with dangerously high crime rates. In most crime categories, South Tucson has higher 2005 crime rates than those of Camden, New Jersey, which is the United States's most dangerous city on Morgan Quitno's statistics.

South Tucson, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If that's not enough for you and you enjoy adventure... have fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 84,127,445 times
Reputation: 22814
Default forgot to mention

For this kind of rent, you can get also plenty of decent houses for rent close to U of A, and you only have to worry about rowdy students for the most part. Heck, if you get lucky, you might even be able to get a guest house in Sam Hughes (one of the best central neighborhoods)! It's close enough.

tucson craigslist > > apts/housing for rent: search for "university"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
 
4 posts, read 12,213 times
Reputation: 22
yeah that sounds pretty bad . maybe i should just stay away from that place...thanks for the links . im still gonna email the site and see why its posted for 1250. from what you are telling me, the 2/1 apt should rent for about 700 right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 84,127,445 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBradey View Post
yeah that sounds pretty bad . maybe i should just stay away from that place...thanks for the links . im still gonna email the site and see why its posted for 1250. from what you are telling me, the 2/1 apt should rent for about 700 right?
I'd say between $600-700 for a regular apartment in an apartment complex depending on location, size, and amenities. There are more expensive and nice ones, but they're not located in the area you want to live. As I said, there may be some newer and nice places downtown. Some lofts were built that might be for rent (by private owners). I just don't keep up with it.

As far as the place you consider, nobody can pay me enough to live there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
 
70 posts, read 529,290 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd say between $600-700 for a regular apartment in an apartment complex depending on location, size, and amenities. There are more expensive and nice ones, but they're not located in the area you want to live. As I said, there may be some newer and nice places downtown. Some lofts were built that might be for rent (by private owners). I just don't keep up with it.

As far as the place you consider, nobody can pay me enough to live there.
Are you sure about that? I don't think any Tucson resident would turn down 100k a year to live in South Tucson, who are you kidding? This isn't one of those inner city gang infested neighborhoods where you would fear for your life. Tucsons crime is overrated this includes South Tucson, south Tucson is a cool little city to go eat at good Mexican restaurants to go to shops, look at the murals and check out the Greyhound park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
 
70 posts, read 529,290 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What I was talking about 29th St getting decent at Harrison Rd is on the East Side. It's not for you if you want to be close to U of A. Most of 29th St. is just notorious in Tucson - I've never lived or plan to live on it and neither I know or want to know anybody living there... And as if this is not bad enough, your intersection falls into the boundaries of the City of South Tucson, which is by far the worst area in town. Try searching on 29St or South Tucson and you'll see what I'm talking about.


If that's not enough for you and you enjoy adventure... have fun!
Wow that's a little extreme I've come to agree with people who live on the southside of town. They get looked down upon almost like prejudice. This is a prime example of that. People who don't live on the southside of town hear from others it's a terrible place and don't give it the time of day so they believe the hype and become followers in a sense and dislike and look down upon people who live there. This is just to make their side of the city a more desirable one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 84,127,445 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbiceps View Post
Wow that's a little extreme I've come to agree with people who live on the southside of town. They get looked down upon almost like prejudice. This is a prime example of that. People who don't live on the southside of town hear from others it's a terrible place and don't give it the time of day so they believe the hype and become followers in a sense and dislike and look down upon people who live there. This is just to make their side of the city a more desirable one.
Be my guest and have fun in South Tucson, particularly in the "City of South Tucson"!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top