Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:01 PM

555 posts, read 596,456 times

Advertisements

Tucson is on my short list for retirement. I'm trying to get a handle on what utilities will cost; I know there's a ton of factors involved but would love a ballpark estimate on electricity costs for a 1-story SFH, 1500-1800sf. I looked on TEP's website but it's hard for me to compare to what I use now because I don't have A/C here in Colorado. How much more electricity do you use in the summer compared to the winter months?

Also, I was interested in their TOU or peak demand plans. Anyone here use either one? How difficult is it to stay within the low usage range?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 09:05 AM

499 posts, read 472,189 times
If your future home in Tucson is well-insulated, utility bills should be reasonable with the exception of water in the summer months and electricity for AC from June through October. Our house is large--3100 sq. ft--but well insulated, and we pay upwards of $200 - $250/month for electricity during the hot months. Last year our electric for the entire year was $1600. Our annual water bill is ~$1000. Gas bill was about $600 for the year. Our property is mostly xeriscaped (meaning plants meant to thrive on less water and suited to the environment). You can adjust all of that downward for a house that is half the size.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Great info, Irish; thank you! I currently pay (drumroll, please!) about $120/month for electricity plus gas so hopefully the bills in Tucson won't be too much of a shocker.

My water bill here in Colorado is close to yours, but I'm watering a huge lawn for 5 months of the year.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Tucson is on my short list for retirement. I'm trying to get a handle on what utilities will cost; I know there's a ton of factors involved but would love a ballpark estimate on electricity costs for a 1-story SFH, 1500-1800sf. I looked on TEP's website but it's hard for me to compare to what I use now because I don't have A/C here in Colorado. How much more electricity do you use in the summer compared to the winter months?

Also, I was interested in their TOU or peak demand plans. Anyone here use either one? How difficult is it to stay within the low usage range?

We are spending $50 per month on average with June-September being the peak months and roughly 2x the winter months. We live in a 1000 square foot slump block house with a northeast exposure. We also live at an elevation of 3000 feet which does make it a little easier.

We do the following to keep it that low:

1) We installed wooden blinds that provide some insulation during the winter months and provide a strong sunblock to our eastern exposure. This may seem insignificant BUT it has cooled the temperature in some rooms 10-15 degrees.

2) We open all windows at desk to capture the cooler air. This allows the house to cool down in the evening to often as low as 70F.

3) At dawn, we make sure that the eastern facing blinds are closed to keep the rooms from heating up.

4) We keep room ceiling fans on all summer long to keep air moving.

5) We do NOT run the air conditioner on most days. When we do, it is on from 10 am - 5 pm.

6) We line dry at least 75% of our laundry. It is amazing how quickly things dry in this area. The ONLY months where this becomes impossible is December and January.

I will admit that our appliances and our HVAC system are inefficient. Our HVAC was installed in 1982 but we do service it several times a year (change filters, clean the system, etc.). Most of our appliances are 25-30 although we replaced our refrigerator with an 8 year old model last year. With the electric bills running as they do, we cannot justify buying new appliances or replacing the HVAC until they die.

Some of our neighbors complain that our electrical costs are easily twice ours. However, when we walk through what we do each day to minimize them they tell us it is "too much work."

=======================================

Since I have my spreadsheet out, we spend $35/ month on natural gas (natural gas prices are about 2x what we encountered in Illinois thanks to Warren Buffett), $28 a month on water and $21 on sewer.

We are also on the TOU plan so we try to keep our cooking, laundry, etc. (use of large appliances) during non-peak times.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 04-07-2018 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 04-07-2018, 04:49 PM

499 posts, read 472,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

6) We line dry at least 75% of our laundry. It is amazing how quickly things dry in this area. The ONLY months where this becomes impossible is December and January.

Nothing will make clothes smell as good as drying them outdoors in the AZ sun!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Since I have my spreadsheet out, we spend $35/ month on natural gas (natural gas prices are about 2x what we encountered in Illinois thanks to Warren Buffett), $28 a month on water and $21 on sewer.

We are also on the TOU plan so we try to keep our cooking, laundry, etc. (use of large appliances) during non-peak times.
Sewer is separate from water?

So that TOU plan... I like the idea of using it during the summer months, but how difficult is it during the winter? 7-10 AM and PM - How do you cook dinner? Can you still watch TV (I have no idea how much electricity these newer smartTV's use)? What about the computer?

Here in Colorado, without A/C, I also close all my blinds during the day in the summer to keep the heat out. After the sun goes down, I have a whole house fan that cools things down considerably; I don't even have to keep it on all night. We don't get as hot as Tucson, but usually have a few weeks of high 90's or even low 100's ever year. (I also have a finished basement, which is a godsend on those very hot days ) I've managed in this house for 28 years without A/C.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:03 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Sewer is separate from water?

So that TOU plan... I like the idea of using it during the summer months, but how difficult is it during the winter? 7-10 AM and PM - How do you cook dinner? Can you still watch TV (I have no idea how much electricity these newer smartTV's use)? What about the computer?

Here in Colorado, without A/C, I also close all my blinds during the day in the summer to keep the heat out. After the sun goes down, I have a whole house fan that cools things down considerably; I don't even have to keep it on all night. We don't get as hot as Tucson, but usually have a few weeks of high 90's or even low 100's ever year. (I also have a finished basement, which is a godsend on those very hot days ) I've managed in this house for 28 years without A/C.

In Tucson proper, both bills are paid together. In unincorporated Pima Co., there is a separate water bill from the water company and the sewer is billed by the City of Tucson.

As for the TOU,I continue to live my life. I try to do laundry on the weekends and outside of the "high cost" hours. If I need to cook dinner, I cook dinner. I don't turn off the computer. The goal is to use 75% of my energy during low cost periods.

I cannot help you on TV as we don't have one.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:00 PM

Thank you for the info; very helpful!

We have a TV but no cable/dish; just antenna and streaming Netflix and Hulu. Works for us.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:49 AM

5,187 posts, read 3,115,198 times
Retired couple living in Tucson for about two years, 2300 SF house built in 2006, averages:
Electric: $95/mo
Nat Gas: $32/mo (gas furnace, DHW, & dryer)
Water: $15/mo
Sewer: $36/mo (unmetered flat fee)
Coax Internet: $60/mo

When we moved in, we converted all lighting to LED and that saves about 200 kWh/mo on our electric usage.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Retired couple living in Tucson for about two years, 2300 SF house built in 2006, averages:
Electric: $95/mo
Nat Gas: $32/mo (gas furnace, DHW, & dryer)
Water: $15/mo
Sewer: $36/mo (unmetered flat fee)
Coax Internet: $60/mo

When we moved in, we converted all lighting to LED and that saves about 200 kWh/mo on our electric usage.
Thanks, Tim. I still don't know how you guys have such low electric bills but kudos to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: