U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:12 AM

87 posts, read 98,476 times

Advertisements

It would be great to know about a GOOD deli in Tucson! I'm tired of Subway. I would love it if they served some good potato latkes with applesauce, homemade chicken noodle soup and tasty deli sandwiches. We've been spoiled living in London eating at a Jewish deli and will miss it. I don't expect equivalent but something close would be brilliant! Nothing like a good Jewish deli or Italian for that matter! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
NO

Old 06-27-2015, 05:26 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,328,573 times
Try 5th St. Deli

Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 AM

694 posts, read 693,182 times
Tucson has a solid Jewish community; there was even a Kosher cafe on campus for students. I remember this deli from more than 30 years ago, because it was in the same block as our veterinarian at Rosemont and Fifth; apparently it is still going: Fifth Street Deli – Tucson, AZ | Best Kosher Deli in Tucson

Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 AM

132 posts, read 227,185 times
The Sausage Shop on 1015 W Prince Rd is pretty good. Not really ethnic but, they make their own stuff, not the tired old Boars Head selections that is so prevalent in Tucson. House made thuringer, summer sausage, cervelat, some very good German Garlic sausage and lots of sandwiches.
Roma Imports is a pretty good Italian Deli that serves good sandwiches and has an OK selection of meats, sausages and cheeses. They also have homemade entrees frozen for takeout.
The aforementioned 5th Street deli is a decent Jewish deli, although their selections are rather limited in my opinion.
I haven't been there but, The Polish Cottage on 4520 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85711 is a restaurant that serves Kielbasa, Polish Sausage, Cabbage Rolls and a variety of pierogies (a weakness of mine).
You really have to sniff around to find a "Deli" in Tucson. Many call themselves delis but, in my opinion, turn out to be sandwich shops with little to no take out meats or cheeses.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,682,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Tucson has a solid Jewish community; there was even a Kosher cafe on campus for students. I remember this deli from more than 30 years ago, because it was in the same block as our veterinarian at Rosemont and Fifth; apparently it is still going: Fifth Street Deli – Tucson, AZ | Best Kosher Deli in Tucson
Their Oy Vey Cafe sounds cool!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,369,233 times
I go to the 5th St. Deli a couple of times during the winter season. I like their tongue sandwiches. Haven't tried much else, maybe a pastrami sandwich as well. Some interesting ethnic food, somewhat pricey. Worth a shot.

Rich

PS

I'm spoiled. Grew up in Brooklyn where, as a kid (1950s) you had great delis on every couple of blocks!

Old 06-27-2015, 07:54 PM

694 posts, read 693,182 times
CheyDee, crossed posts with you! It was just the OP when I started writing.

If someone is interested in Tucson Jewish history, I can recommend the following book about some Tucson pioneers, which is published by the Arizona Historical Society but available at Amazon:

Zeckendorfs and Steinfelds: Merchant Princes of the American Southwest: Bettina Lyons: 9780910037495: Amazon.com: Books

Also last year on a visit I went to the Jewish History Museum, which is on Stone Avenue, just south of downtown. They were having an event; and milling around the exhibits beforehand, I bumped into the mayor (Jonathan Rothschild) and got his photo in my vacation pix. :-)

The museum is closed until August 15, because they are doing some construction. But here is a story about the 1910 building in pix at their website:

Jewish History Museum - The Saving of a Treasure Slideshow

Old 06-28-2015, 03:24 PM

461 posts, read 1,176,352 times
I don't know of any that you described, but Baggins is good. I like it far better than Subway.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM

88 posts, read 100,067 times
Fortunato's Italian Deli on the east side (Tanque Verde) was a favorite years ago when we lived here. Our office made several lunch runs per month. I've not had it in over 10 years, but it's still in the same place and seems to always have business, so I'm guessing it's just as good as ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson