Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM

42 posts, read 107,583 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting here in Saddlebrooke and saw a home that is lovely, however, would need an extensive ramada to capture the beautiful mountain view and also because the backyard is facing west. Does anyone have any experience with the costs involved, materials used, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:03 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,166 times
Are you wanting a solid roof on it or open slats? We built a large pergola/lattice cover (attached to the house) with 1" slats and used Ray's Solar Solutions. They can also do solid covers if you don't want light coming through slats. They do offer free estimates and have some photos of their work on the website. They did a wonderful job. I believe it is aluminum. The best part is it comes in many different colors and won't fade.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
Are you wanting a solid roof on it or open slats? We built a large pergola/lattice cover (attached to the house) with 1" slats and used Ray's Solar Solutions. They can also do solid covers if you don't want light coming through slats. They do offer free estimates and have some photos of their work on the website. They did a wonderful job. I believe it is aluminum. The best part is it comes in many different colors and won't fade.
We were looking for open slats. Just looking for a ball park figure because without the ramada, you really cannot capture the mountain view.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Price will vary depending on overall size and width between slats. I think ours was about $4500-5k. I can't recall the dimensions off hand but it might be about 20' by 15'. Call Ray's with the dimensions you are seeking and ask for approximate prices.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:40 PM

68 posts, read 126,083 times
Don't buy a house with a backyard facing west. You will be miserable.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN55 View Post
Don't buy a house with a backyard facing west. You will be miserable.
Thank you for that! We decided that since it faces west, it may be a poor choice.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM

I agree with that....the ramada wont do much good with west sun anyway.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
do you really mean a patio roof?....not clear on why a ramada is required to "capture" the mountain views.....are there no mountain views as is??!!.....to me, this is a ramada:

Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 AM

700 posts, read 918,177 times
Yes, I am stumped on that part, as well. I have determinedly avoided building anything with a roof in the backyard to block the sky and the view. So I'm not understanding that. I would probably time my patio visits on a west-facing side to mornings and after sunset and nights, when it should be awesome! West facing twilight is fantastic; witness the popularity of the view from Gates' Pass, for example. When we visited the U of Arizona Sky Center on Mt Lemmon, their whole program is built around a west-facing view, and it was breathtaking. I wouldn't turn down a west-facing patio in Tucson, necessarily. You just need to know the ins and outs.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
do you really mean a patio roof?....not clear on why a ramada is required to "capture" the mountain views.....are there no mountain views as is??!!.....to me, this is a ramada:

Oops, I was meaning patio extension to provide more shade. I'm just getting used to the terminology here... We did find a home with a fabulous mountain view with a north/south exposure. I am guessing we will see some beautiful sunsets and sunrises.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson