Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

We have two Yorkies, one a 4lb 13 year old, and the other a 5lb 3 year old. We have grass and we DO have scorpions, but like was mentioned earlier, it's the Bark Scorpions that are the problem. Just learn to recognize them, and if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. We don't have a pest control service but spray ourselves with Real Kill from Home Depot which has seemed to work well. We spray around the holes where the Directv comes in to the house, the foundation, doors and windows. We've had one cockroach inside, but nothing else. We spray monthly, sometimes more in the hot weather. Our Yorkies are 95% indoor dogs, so they wouldn't really be bothered by scorpions unless they came inside, which so far, hasn't happened. We had scorpions, black widows, brown recluse spiders and rattlers in Colorado Springs and I saw more critters inside there than I have here, for what that's worth. Just spray or have a pest control service, and be vigilant, that's about the best you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_H007 View Post
I have stepped on a scorpion bare foot not knowing it until I turned around to see what it was, and it didn't sting me. Also had a scorpion run along side my foot one moring in the bathroom and it didn't bother me either. Just creeped me out for awhile. I don't think they'll bother your pets.
This just happened to me last night! I've never seen a scorpion INSIDE the house here, so I often walk around barefoot - but I never will again! I stepped on something as I was walking through my hallway at night, lights off, felt it squirm, and immediately lifted my foot up. I hadn't stepped on it with all my weight, thankfully. I thought it might be a gecko because it actually felt soft! When I turned on the lights, I was VERY surprised to see what I think was a bark scorpion! And it didn't sting me! I scooped it up in a cup and threw it outside as a sort of "thank you" to it. I still can't believe that it didn't sting me! I think it must have been walking around with its tail out flat behind it (not in a threatening stance).

I have a baby daughter and a little chihuaha mix, so it scares me a lot that they're in my house now, but it makes me feel better to know that they won't ALWAYS sting you, even if you do accidentally step on them! I don't think Tucson is as bad as PHX is for scorpions, anyway, so hopefully your pup will be just fine. I too would be more worried about the dog messing with one than with one stinging your dog in its sleep.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:26 AM

333 posts, read 810,600 times
I used to live in Tucson and was concerned about scorpions, so I would frequently scan my apartment with UV light at night to see if any had come in. Just order a cheap blacklight and walk your house with it with the lights off - the scorpions will glow a light green, pretty cool really. This paid off for me because I found a bark scorpion in my apartment that blended in perfectly with my beige carpet. I caught it in a vase (Very Carefully) and took it outside since it hadn't hurt anybody.

Oh also, where you live matters - if you live near the edge of undeveloped land you are more likely to get scorpions or near land that is being developed disturbed the wildlife is looking for a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson