Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM

13 posts, read 44,617 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided we are moving to Tucson. We have lived in Wyoming our whole lives and the winters and isolation are just too much and love the area (plus, I have family there). I'm okay with the heat and am familiar with some issues in the area. I also have ideas for housing and am not worried about that. We are not interested in Phoenix (too far from family and too big! )

I'm mainly concerned about a job. I've noticed it's a very competitive market and would like to know good places to check away from the main job boards such as Indeed. I have a degree in journalism with a little newspaper experience but have substitute taught for two years as Wyoming is very limited in media opportunities. I'm a very dedicated employee and particularly skilled in writing, photography, and communications. I would prefer to focus on those areas but don't see many openings for those in Tucson. Even though I'd really like to write or edit, I am open to other fields. My main goal is to make a livable wage (enough to pay the bills, including student loans, and build up savings) and at least tolerate what I do. I don't really want to sub anymore, either (I'd rather have job security and get paid for 12 months instead of 9).

I would also like to secure a position before I move (my wife will follow eventually once she gets a teaching degree, but housing arrangements for her student teaching among other factors have made us decide it is best I go first). However, I feel at an automatic disadvantage as I'm 1,000 miles away when there are so many qualified candidates. I also get paid on a day-by-day basis and really can't afford to take off work to fly down for potential interviews. I have the option to go earlier and stay with family to look for a career until I get established. Would that ease finding work?

Any tips are greatly appreciated. We are very excited to eventually call the Old Pueblo our new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson