U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:18 PM

902 posts, read 862,791 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Green Valley for 1.5 years so far and absolutely LOVE it! The weather is really nice most of the time. In the area where I live (Green Valley Acres) there is tons of wildlife to include Hawks, Reptiles, Deer, Javelina, Coyote, Bobcat, Roadrunners and all kinds of other birds, and rabbits among other small mammals. I see something of interest nearly on a daily basis on my property or when I am out on a walk in the neighborhood. Please check out these videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

Tell me what you think! I am also happy to answer any questions about Green Valley you may have.

Bart
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:19 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,833,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
I have lived in Green Valley for 1.5 years so far and absolutely LOVE it! The weather is really nice most of the time. In the area where I live (Green Valley Acres) there is tons of wildlife to include Hawks, Reptiles, Deer, Javelina, Coyote, Bobcat, Roadrunners and all kinds of other birds, and rabbits among other small mammals. I see something of interest nearly on a daily basis on my property or when I am out on a walk in the neighborhood. Please check out these videos!

Tell me what you think! I am also happy to answer any questions about Green Valley you may have.

Bart
Excellent videos, Bart! A friend who lives in the Green Valley area remarked that one day he saw three deer out on the golf course. I asked him if they were putting or teeing off?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:19 AM

105 posts, read 197,797 times
Thanks for the videos Bart.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 PM

That is a good one Colt! From what I know, they mostly putt......they just can't seem to get the swing down to tee off! Last fall I was out in my driveway talking to friends who were sitting on their golf cart and less than 20 ft away, about a dozen deer gathered on the north side of my driveway and as we all watched in 1's and 2's they all crossed and went on their way, it was so cool!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM

Thanks Sownman! check back often as there are new videos posted when I see things on my walks or out in the yard (I have a 4 acre lot). In fact, in my neighborhood, everyone has 2 acres or more, so the creatures have a lot of room to be themselves!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 PM

15,444 posts, read 26,762,053 times
Nice pictures.

Be careful with having javalinas being THAT close to your house. Most herds have young with them this time of year and can get very aggressive if you approach, even by mistake.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 AM

Good advice jlawrence01! Trust me, when I am out walking these days, my head is on a swivel. When I first moved here, I was not as aware of my surroundings. As I was approaching my driveway on a return from a walk, I noticed something dark move just ahead and on my left. I looked up to see a large Javelina with a baby on each side take a few steps up a neighbors driveway, and then proceed down in to a wash. I was stunned at how stupid I had been and felt very lucky not to have suffered the wrath of a momma Javelina.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:39 AM

15,444 posts, read 26,762,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Good advice jlawrence01! Trust me, when I am out walking these days, my head is on a swivel. When I first moved here, I was not as aware of my surroundings. As I was approaching my driveway on a return from a walk, I noticed something dark move just ahead and on my left. I looked up to see a large Javelina with a baby on each side take a few steps up a neighbors driveway, and then proceed down in to a wash. I was stunned at how stupid I had been and felt very lucky not to have suffered the wrath of a momma Javelina.

The other thing that you need to watch for are rattlesnakes, especially after dusk. I ran into one of them at dusk down on the golf course in Canoa Hills ten days ago. I did NOT see the snake, but based on its hiss, he was aware of me.

Make sure you control the pack rat population as they attract a lot of rattlesnakes.

============================================

If you have hummingbird feeders and you notice that the syrup level is going down quickly recently, realize that the Mexican long nose bats are coming through Green Valley this week.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...long+nose+bats

Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 AM

Again, excellent advice! Just a few months after moving here....about this time last year, a friend of I were out for a walk. It was so nice out we decided to extend about 15 minutes. Just as we approached my driveway, I heard a terrible hiss and a rattle that actually shook the air. My buddy and I both literally jumped. It sounded like someone popped a tire. Come to find out, my buddy had actually stepped on a pretty good sized snake. I looked back, and in the dim light I could see a 3 or 4 foot rattler writhing in the road. I asked if he was bitten and he said no, so we got the hell out of there and back to the house. We checked out the lower part of both legs and did not find any bite marks. We guess that he stepped on it somewhere close to the head. Needless to say, he was pretty shaken up. That put an end to any walks after full daylight for me!

As for packrats....what a pain!!!! I had to put wire covers on all my downspouts and hired Truly Nolen to come set traps and inspect the entire home and remediate anything they found. I have 4 acres, so I cannot deal with all of the packrats, but I make every effort to keep them away from the house!

Old 01-14-2016, 02:03 PM

Please check back on my youtube channel, many new videos uploaded from Green Valley!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson