U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,517,194 times
Thank you, bkolodzi, for your informative response. I'm very glad you're pleased with Green Valley and totally made the right decision even if it were via the internet. That proves internet research really can work out. I have a few qualms about moving especially since I'm alone, but it's not something that will keep me from doing so should I fall in love with the area and decide it's for me in my later years. Wait! I'm already in my later years but, unfortunately, I'm not retired yet, so in Texas I'll be for a while.

I definitely wouldn't want to live in Tucson as there are way too many people, but Green Valley and Oro Valley sound rather appealing. I'm leaning toward Green Valley since real estate appears to be less expensive. The heat wouldn't bother me at all after living in Texas with its humidity and very long summers.

I'm certainly used to epic thunderstorms. Well, really I'll never get used to them as they can be so terribly damaging with the chance of forming a tornado. They seriously scare me, hence the reason I finally had a storm cellar put in in 1997. That was enough for me without one after living here, at the time for nearly 20 years. At least in AZ, I won't have to worry about tornadoes again. That would certainly be a blessing.

I have enjoyed your videos and will continue to view them as you post them. Thank you.

Questions? Yes, I have a few, so ...

1. Do you ever see tarantulas? I don't think they'd freak me out too badly as Texas has it's share of bugs, but I've never seen one of those creatures except driving through AZ 37 years ago. One got in the car and actually climbed on my daughter's arm. She was three years old at the time. She went ballistic and I swear, to this day, she is petrified of any and all bugs and spiders. We do have scorpions and they're not fun when one is spotted in the house or, in a few instances, being stung by one. Ouch! Seriously, though, I don't see them every year and this year, there haven't been any that entered the house. Yay!! I know there are snakes in AZ as well as here, but I haven't had a run in with a rattlesnake for a long time and in nearly 38 years of living here, I've only seen two in my yard.

2. What about dust storms? I believe I read somewhere the Tucson area doesn't get the massive haboobs like Phoenix does, but is dust a problem? Someone told me one can't even have his / her windows open except maybe a crack and not all day. Overall, is the air quality pretty good?

3. Do the summer temperatures cool down at night at all? Our summer nights are quite warm, but the older I get, the more I like it. It may get down to the mid 70s some nights, but often it's still 98 degrees or so around midnight!

We've had an usually warmer winter this year and this week, the temperatures are in the 70s. It's great!

Where in Texas did you once live?

Thanks again for your post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 PM

962 posts, read 946,997 times
I have posted a few new wildlife videos as well as a series of having my pool re-plastered, so please check that out. As for the questions:

Do you ever see tarantulas? Yes, but only a couple over the past few years. I have seen a couple rattlesnakes and some bull snakes. I have only seen a couple of scorpions. So yes, there are some creepy crawlies here, but no worse than TX.

What about dust storms? Since I have been here, I have not seen a major dust storm down this way. The haboobs you speak of are usually along I-10 between northwest Tucson and Phoenix. Green Valley has a LOT of plant life and not much in the way of dirt or sand to be picked up by the wind. We frequently have our doors wide open with the screens closed and yes, there is some dust, but I think no worse than other places I have lived.

Do the summer temperatures cool down at night at all? It does cool down at night, maybe to 80 on some of the warmer days, but being at 2900 ft. above sea level seems to help with the cooling. Most of the time the heat is dry, so much easier to handle.

Where in Texas did you once live? I lived most of my time in Texas in the West Texas town of San Angelo (13 years), and one year in San Antonio, which I did not much like.

How about you, where in Texas did you live? Here is the link again so you don't have to hunt for it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

Best of luck, and if you move out this way, we will have to meet! Any other questions, just ask!

Bart

Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
I have posted a few new wildlife videos as well as a series of having my pool re-plastered, so please check that out. As for the questions:

Do you ever see tarantulas? Yes, but only a couple over the past few years. I have seen a couple rattlesnakes and some bull snakes. I have only seen a couple of scorpions. So yes, there are some creepy crawlies here, but no worse than TX.

What about dust storms? Since I have been here, I have not seen a major dust storm down this way. The haboobs you speak of are usually along I-10 between northwest Tucson and Phoenix. Green Valley has a LOT of plant life and not much in the way of dirt or sand to be picked up by the wind. We frequently have our doors wide open with the screens closed and yes, there is some dust, but I think no worse than other places I have lived.

Do the summer temperatures cool down at night at all? It does cool down at night, maybe to 80 on some of the warmer days, but being at 2900 ft. above sea level seems to help with the cooling. Most of the time the heat is dry, so much easier to handle.

Where in Texas did you once live? I lived most of my time in Texas in the West Texas town of San Angelo (13 years), and one year in San Antonio, which I did not much like.

How about you, where in Texas did you live? Here is the link again so you don't have to hunt for it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

Best of luck, and if you move out this way, we will have to meet! Any other questions, just ask!

Bart
I will keep checking out your link for more videos. Thank you.

I've lived in Texas since I was 29, moving here from Burbank, California. I live on the outskirts of the small town of Whitney. I wish I never left CA, but you what is said about hindsight. Talk about culture shock, but I guess I adjusted fairly well after 38 years.

Oh, what about roaches? I don't have them at my house and would have to evacuate if I did, but they're prevalent in Texas. I couldn't live in a place that had those uncontrollable nasty things and would take tarantulas any day to roaches.

Yes, if I ever get out that way, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for your responses.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:59 AM

46 posts, read 97,168 times
Bart - I would love to view your youtube videos, but every time I click on one, I end up on a youtube page that states there is no content. Any advice?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:33 PM

Hmmm, not sure what to say. If you go to this link, you should see a list of all my videos and be able to choose any of them. Here is the link again: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw Maybe check your browser security settings? Maybe clear your browser cache and then launch a new browser session? Let me know how it goes, I would love for you to see them, they are pretty cool!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 AM

I have some new videos of wildlife, etc around Green Valley on my youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

Old 04-16-2016, 06:44 PM

84 posts, read 86,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Yes, if I ever get out that way, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for your responses.
Green Valley is a really nice area, but also check into Sierra Vista area, has cooler weather. If I were retiring, I'd probably pick SV over GV, but depends if you want to be closer to Tucson or not. I picked closer in just for the potential jobs.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryTucson View Post
Green Valley is a really nice area, but also check into Sierra Vista area, has cooler weather. If I were retiring, I'd probably pick SV over GV, but depends if you want to be closer to Tucson or not. I picked closer in just for the potential jobs.
Cooler weather sounds good. It's kind of a lame question, but just how dangerous is it so close to the Mexican border? Thanks!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 PM

15,515 posts, read 27,099,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Cooler weather sounds good. It's kind of a lame question, but just how dangerous is it so close to the Mexican border? Thanks!

Sahuarita, the closest incorporated town, has been consistently ranked as the safest town in Arizona. Maybe it is because there are three major groups that populate the area - 55+ seniors who are more than willing to call 911 at anything suspicious, law enforcement officers (Border Patrol among others) and military families.

Green Valley is located thirty miles north of the border and there are more law enforcement officers in the area than are necessary.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sahuarita, the closest incorporated town, has been consistently ranked as the safest town in Arizona. Maybe it is because there are three major groups that populate the area - 55+ seniors who are more than willing to call 911 at anything suspicious, law enforcement officers (Border Patrol among others) and military families.

Green Valley is located thirty miles north of the border and there are more law enforcement officers in the area than are necessary.

Thank you. Sounds good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson