U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 PM

946 posts, read 911,808 times

Advertisements

I live in The Acres area of Green Valley and there is wildlife around all the time. Please check out my youtube channel for wildlife videos among other Green Valley videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

Bart
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,375,444 times
I love the videos! Is it true that javelinas attack people and show aggressive tendencies to humans?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM

613 posts, read 898,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Is it true that javelinas attack people and show aggressive tendencies to humans?
It's not common, but it does happen. When we moved into our new home in August we had a group of about a dozen or so who basically lived here and weren't too happy about us moving in. Out theory was that the person who lived here before had fed them, which is always a bad idea. They got aggressive a few times, so we started making sure they knew they were unwelcome ... throwing stones (not hitting them, just hitting the ground near them), using a stick to show aggression (shaking it at them, again, not hitting them), and they got the hint pretty quickly. We haven't seen them too often since then and when we do see them they now know to run away instead of stand their ground. Problem solved.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:35 PM

I agree that Javelinas can and do get aggressive on occasion. I have heard that they have killed dogs and severely injured people, but it is not a frequent happening. We have lived in our home for 1.5 years and it was vacant for almost 2 years before that. The Javelina are around here all the time and we do not feed them. I take walks twice a day nearly every day around my neighborhood, so that would be 1,000 plus walks with no issues so far. I just keep a good look out for any movement and try and give the Deer, Javelinas, Coyotes and Bobcats plenty of room.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM

I have recently posted some new videos on my channel. Please feel free to check them out!

Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM

I have recently posted some new videos on my channel. Please feel free to check them out!

Old 01-02-2016, 09:23 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,478,972 times
Great videos. I'm considering moving to the Tucson area and am checking out all I can about the area. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 AM

Glad you enjoyed the videos! I am having my pool re-plastered and I am posting videos of that process for anyone interested along with new wildlife videos!

Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,478,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Glad you enjoyed the videos! I am having my pool re-plastered and I am posting videos of that process for anyone interested along with new wildlife videos!

Wow! What a job with the pool! The javelinas surely are a bit intimidating. We have them around my area, but I've never seen one and that's good!

I'm considering a possible relocation to Green Valley within the next year or two and am hoping to visit the area soon. It has been many years since I've just driven through Tucson and always enjoyed the scenery of the Sonoran Desert. It seems via your videos that you enjoy living there very much. It looks peaceful and although where I live in Texas, it's peaceful, but I'm looking for a great retirement community and from what I read online, Green Valley is one. Also, it would be nice to get out of tornado alley. So, time will tell where and if I 'plant' myself elsewhere.

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Canine*Castle, let me tell you a short story about my move to Green Valley. I moved here never having been here before. I made the decision purely from research on the internet. My wife did come here twice to choose a home, and once that was done....we moved here from Oregon.

I also lived in Texas for 13 years, so I know about hot weather and there is no denying that it does get hot here. But we are at 3000 ft above sea level and it is very dry here, so 100 degrees plus does not feel so bad. I have been sitting on the patio with my wife just chatting at 100 degrees plus and it was not uncomfortable. Now if you were to be doing strenuous work, you would definitely want to get that done early in the morning. We have been here for 2 full years now, so we have seen all the season here twice and I will tell you that we absolutely made the right decision to move here.

The town doubles in size starting in November or so and all the snowbirds start leaving in March and April. During Summer and early Fall, there are about 12000 permanent residents, and I figure if all these thousands of older folks can handle an Arizona summer, it cannot be all that bad ;-) If you need to get to a larger city, Tucson is only 15 to 20 minutes north on I-19. Starting in mid June, the Monsoon begins and we do get epic thunderstorms and a bit of a reprieve from the heat. The Monsoon lasts in to mid September and even in to October sometimes. Today is 2/15/16 as I write this and it is a beautiful sunny day and will get into the eighties.....what more could you ask for in mid February????

If you have any further questions or would like any opinions from someone who has been here for a couple of years, feel free to ask!!! Also keep an eye on my youtube channel as I post content fairly frequently as a I come across interesting situations! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson