Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,407 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocation to Tucson, and I have been watching the real estate listings for several months now. I would like to find a single-family home since condo living has proved a little too challenging for me. I'm retired and my budget is around $140,000. There are many properties for sale at this price point, but I suspect many of them are in less desirable locations. My question is whether or not my goal is a reasonable one. These are the factors which will have the biggest impact on my choice.

Safe neighborhood. A garage, 2-car best; 1-car OK. Two to three bedrooms. One and one-half or two baths. 55+ is OK, but primarily looking for a relatively quiet location. Single story. A little more elbow room than just a 5000 sq. ft. lot.

If this is not doable, please say so. If it is, what parts of the area would most likely offer the best places to consider. I can compromise on almost any one factor, but not on multiple factors.

If my price point is just too low, how high might I have to go for a selection of properties meeting these requirements.

Thanks so much for your input.

AZsoontobe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
Have you considered any areas outside of Tucson, such as Green Valley?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,407 times
Green Valley and Sahuarita are not my first choices, but I would not rule either of them out.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I live in 85742 in the NW suburb of Tucson. That's where you'll find the NW Pima Community College, the metro largest YMCA, a great county library, several parks including the Arthur Pack County Park with a public golf course, Foothills Mall, and too many businesses, restaurants, and houses of worship to count. Target, Costco, Walmart, multiple big supermarkets, etc., etc. Everything within beautiful desert/mountain surroundings. The zipcode encompasses some of the town of Marana but is mostly in unincorporated Pima County. To check out the commercial offerings, look on Ina Road between Thornydale and Oracle.

Your budget for a single family home is tight, but doable. I looked on Zillow and found four very nice looking properties I know are in good neighborhoods, asking prices ranging from $99,000 to $143,000 — which is not counting many foreclosures that also line up in that price range. These houses range in size from 1,100 to 1,500 sq. ft. and all have a minimum of two bedrooms, two baths, and two-car garages. A couple have nice sized yards and one has a pool. Both the school districts in 85742 have good reputations, so homes have solid resale value. Houses still take awhile to turn over in the current market, so with a good Realtor you might even be able to find something asking a slightly higher price than $140,000.

You're priced out of single-family homes in Oro Valley, but there are also some nice neighborhoods in other NW suburban zipcodes that might meet your needs. I'm far less familiar with real estate in the city but I know for sure your money goes further and the properties in your price range will be far newer in a suburban location.

If you want a recommendation for a Realtor, PM me and I'll send you contact info for the one I used.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:50 PM

68 posts, read 126,183 times
If you can pay up to 150k, Eagle Crest Ranch up by Saddlebrooke might work. The houses in that price range go fast, so you need a good agent to get you in quick. If you can go up to about 170k, you can get a single story "Villa" in Saddlebrooke, but then you are looking at a very small lot. Again, you would need to act fast. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:08 AM

8 posts, read 13,321 times
Default Another vote for NW Tucson

I also have a winter home in the 85742 or NW Tucson area. For your price point, it is doable. Advantages in this section of Tucson are that you are close to Interstate 10 and can be Downtown in about 20 minutes, but have a more "rural" community feeling. You are also close to the (15 mins) National Park, as well as Biking opportunities around the Wheeler Taft Abbett Library. Negatives associated with this area are limited good restaurants and Nightlife in the immediate area. I would caution you though that there are some neighborhoods that I would not necessary recommend in this area. From a Northeasterner point of view, Tucsons neighborhoods are odd, with very nice areas being right up against neighborhoods that are sort of seedy. Overall, we are very happy with our decision to move into this area and love being in Tucson for the winter.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:58 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsoontobe View Post
My question is whether or not my goal is a reasonable one.
This is pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Safe neighborhood. A garage, 2-car best; 1-car OK. Two to three bedrooms. One and one-half or two baths. 55+ is OK, but primarily looking for a relatively quiet location. Single story. A little more elbow room than just a 5000 sq. ft. lot.
Plugging this into an MLS search I see 201 current listings in all areas of town (except the Catalina Foothills).

Quote:
If it is, what parts of the area would most likely offer the best places to consider.
How familiar are you with Tucson? Do you want to live in the city itself, or a suburb, or out in the boonies? Some areas to consider would be the East side, Rita Ranch, West side, Casas Adobes and Marana. There are also some nice homes available in mid-town, but I'm not sure they would qualify as "quiet areas" (you'd want to have a look and see for yourself since quiet means much different things to different people). Also, check the various crime tracking websites and determine your comfort level with the different parts of town.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:58 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,861,313 times
You should really reconsider Green Valley. I moved here 2 years ago and my only regret is not doing it sooner! You can check out my youtube channel for some videos from the area: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

You can get most anything you need in Green Valley or Sahuarita. If you find something you need that is not available in those locations, Tucson is just 15 miles north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson