Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving our family to AZ from NC. We were pretty much set on the Phoenix area but he has just recieved a good job offer from a builder in Tucson. I havent done much research and wanted to get peoples opinion on the area, are there towns around Tucson that would be better for a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
My husband and I are moving our family to AZ from NC. We were pretty much set on the Phoenix area but he has just recieved a good job offer from a builder in Tucson. I havent done much research and wanted to get peoples opinion on the area, are there towns around Tucson that would be better for a family?
Aviod Phoenix.

You don't want to live here.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 PM

95 posts, read 647,117 times
Rancho Sahuarita is a community just outside of south Tucson that has been advertising on TV a lot lately. It prides itself on being family centered, has its own schools, rec center, water park and a lake (I'm jealous). The houses look new and very nice. If you google it you can check out the website. I haven't been there so I don't know the real deal, but it looks very appealing.

You may want to take a look at Vail as well. Many military families live there and it has a small town feel. I drove through it and saw ads for new housing developments in the low $200s. I kept seeing signs for cow crossings and the main road cuts through an open range, so I think it's rather country. One negative though, train tracks run through the town. Vail is outside of south Tucson.

Marana is NW of Tucson and right by the interstate, but again there are train tracks. It has some good shopping plazas and is growing. I have a friend with a small child who lives there and she likes it.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:33 AM

37 posts, read 393,556 times
Default NC to AZ?

I assume there is good reason for you to want to move to Southern AZ. To be fair it has been 7 years since I lived there, but I visit there a couple of times a year. I couldn't imagine having to live there again, but I never say never. Tucson is much better than most of the areas around Phoenix, but that isn't saying much. High crime, terrible schools, etc. If I had to go back to the Tucson area I would probably look toward Vail (East) or the Oro valley area (Northwest). I have many friends there and those are better areas. If I had to live near Phoenix, I think I would go as far North as possible. (Utah maybe? lol).

I have lived in several places in 3 states, and have travelled in most of the US. I am hoping my next move will be to NC (we have fallen in love with the Asheville area). Just curious, why the move?

Old 08-04-2006, 07:04 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtruck
I assume there is good reason for you to want to move to Southern AZ. To be fair it has been 7 years since I lived there, but I visit there a couple of times a year. I couldn't imagine having to live there again, but I never say never. Tucson is much better than most of the areas around Phoenix, but that isn't saying much. High crime, terrible schools, etc. If I had to go back to the Tucson area I would probably look toward Vail (East) or the Oro valley area (Northwest). I have many friends there and those are better areas. If I had to live near Phoenix, I think I would go as far North as possible. (Utah maybe? lol).

I have lived in several places in 3 states, and have travelled in most of the US. I am hoping my next move will be to NC (we have fallen in love with the Asheville area). Just curious, why the move?
My favorite place in NC is Asheville, but my husband is in construction and to be honest this place isnt outsider friendly when it comes to construction. we live in Raleigh area, we are from Oregon and we just dont fit in here, we are not bible belt people. This place is very pretty, but boy is it expensive!! High High taxes. personally it is overrated. it is the next big thing for sure, but it will wear off. Asheville is beautiful and if my hubby wasnt in construction we would go there. There is plenty of crime here, gangs drugs, shootings you get that everywhere and they really need help managing their schools!!!

Old 08-05-2006, 12:33 AM

37 posts, read 393,556 times
Yeah, things seem to be getiing worse all over. We experienced some negatives in the 13 years we lived in Tucson, but there is an upside too. We now live in an area that has at least four times the cost of living that Tucson has. There is a beauty in the desert that you have to learn to see. Sunrises that will literally make you pull over to catch your breath. Some of the small towns out in the sticks are pretty cool. I have friends who live to ride bicycles, both street and mountain bike, and they love Arizona for that. There should be plenty of construction around. Despite the negatives I do have many friends there, some of the best people I have ever known.

Someone else made mention of the Marana area, I would look closely before considering living there. A few miles north of there, on the other side of I-10 is much better. The class of people, schools, everything. If you have school-age children I would recommend avoiding Tucson Unified District, unless there has been vast improvement recently. Again, for me it would definately be Tucson over most parts of Phoenix. The only PHX areas I would consider are getting pretty pricey. Good luck with whatever you decide.

How interesting that you are from Oregon. That's another place that is on our interest list of places to go. Our kids are grown, and we probably have 10 - 12 years for retirement. We are getting wanderlust again and always are looking for potential places. If you get a chance send me a private message with your thoughts about Oregon.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 PM

27 posts, read 172,541 times
Tucson is a fine place to live. I went to HS in Tucson Mountain View and I live in PHX now. I prefer the bigger city. But crime is everywhere. I never felt UNSAFE in Tucson. Not like I do in PHX. Crime is Tucson is pretty much in one area , or it was and most of the locals know that and stay awayfrom it. Most people who have money or want to be in a really nice area of Tucson live up in the foothills North of Oracle to wards Sabino Canyon. The northwest side of Tucson is considered in the Marana School District but it is very different than Marana its self. If Tucson had a higher economy and closer to recreational activities I would move back. The one thing about AZ is you have to drive to do anything here whether in water or snow skiing. Yes, there is MT Lemon but it not a real place to snow ski. All though southern AZ as lots of great places to hike. I loved Sabino Canyon as a kid. Lots of fun hiking canyons in Sierra Vista , caves to explore etc. There is a lot to do down there it's just not going to be right in your backyard.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:09 PM

62 posts, read 266,921 times
Education for one might be a concern for you. I would look into areas near Rincon/University High School and Catalina Foothills High School, the two best public schools in the region (University is a magnet and was ranked as a consistent top ranking high school in the country by Newsweek along with other famed schools like TJHSS, Stuyvesant, Bronxscience, Princeton High, etc.) If you want private school, Salpointe High is great.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Catalina (14 miles NW of Tucson) is nice for a family.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,670 times
Dear NC,
As a long time resident of Az, and a 16 year Tucsonan, I would really consider Tucson to call home, actually Catalina (North of Tucson) is an even better community. It's still close enough to Tucson to zip in whenever you want but you have more of the country feel of a small town. I'm 35 with a 5 year old daughter, and we just moved from the city of Tucson and it's perfect. There is one school for K-8 then High School will actually be in Tucson but it's the best Public High School in Tucson. Canyon del Oro, aka CDO. Good Luck!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson