Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM

24 posts, read 129,178 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Tucson as a professor at UofA. I'm wondering where we should look at houses? I'm looking for a relatively short commute (less than 1/2 hour). I have a 1 1/2 year old, so I would like an area with good schools. My wife likes areas with character rather than neighborhoods with houses that all look the same. I can spend up to about 500K although I would rather stay around 400K. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
I have no idea about schools, as I don't have kids. But, the Sam Hughes neighborhood is very close to the university and it's a very cute neighborhood with lots of charm. Many of the houses are older adobes, so I'm not sure how big they'll be but you might be able to find something in your price range.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM

I hear a lot about crime in Tucson. Is this area relatively safe?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM

It seems very safe to me... It's very easy to tell which neighborhoods to avoid. I know when we were planning to move out here, I got some great advice on these forums, but I found that some posts were a little misleading regarding good vs. bad neighborhoods.

We had the most luck just driving around and seeing for ourselves. Like I said... the bad ones are very obvious - grafiitti everywhere, cars with tires slashed, bedsheeets up covering windows. Do you know if you're going to come out and check out the town?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM

I'll be out there in about a month. The department has set up me up with a relocation service that will take me around and give me a tour. I'm just trying to gather information and get an idea of which neighborhoods I'd like to see while I'm out there. It's going to be a relatively short trip, and I know next to nothing about Tucson beyond what little I have found on the internet. I'm sure the relocation service will be helpful, but I like to gather multiple data points.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Another nice area is around the Arizona Inn. My husband's uncle lives near there, and it's a beautiful neighborhood... very quiet. I don't think that's part of Sam Hughes, but that might be a neighborhood to check out as well.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 PM

35 posts, read 175,651 times
Hi there -

I used to work for the UofA, and may be again, soon. The Sam Hughes neighborhood is a pretty good bet, from the safety standpoint. The Arizona Inn is another (I believe that would be the Blenman Elm neighborhood). I cannot vouch for schools, though. I lived in what they call "Winterhaven" which is up around Glenn and Tucson Blvd (still quite close to campus). I had no problems whatsover. Actually, I also lived in the Barrio Historico district for 9 months - as a single 'white as it gets' female - and had no problems with crime.

In my experience between 1999-2001, I'd say I agree that, for the most part, 'bad' neighborhoods in Tucson are really obvious. The only thing that may not be obvious is how close to campus is 'too close', to be in the (college student) party zone. That I'm not sure of; but I think that is more of an issue immediately S and N of campus (Sam Hughes is immediately East). If you are looking for something a bit further out that isn't too $$$, I think the Tucson Mountains (to the West) is a good area to look in.

best of luck to you..what department are you looking at?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:02 PM

What neighborhoods are in the Tucson Mts. to the west? What is the commute from there like?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM

35 posts, read 175,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl21 View Post
What neighborhoods are in the Tucson Mts. to the west? What is the commute from there like?
I'm thinking of the area that is referred to (in, say, Craigslist postings) as
"near Pima Community College" or near St Mary's Hospital, or near Tucson Mountain Park. I don't know the area to the South (Starr Pass or further) but I would be wary of the SW. Where I'm thinking, well, it's quiet out there... some cookie cutter condo developments, but also some places with character. The big plus to me to that area is, you have the true desert in your backyard. (I am a hiker and like that sort of thing) And the sunsets from Gates Pass, oh my

Figure, 15 minutes driving time, not much traffic until you have to cross the 10. The drawbacks would be parking on campus and the sun in your eyes going home!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl21 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Tucson as a professor at UofA. I'm wondering where we should look at houses? I'm looking for a relatively short commute (less than 1/2 hour). I have a 1 1/2 year old, so I would like an area with good schools. My wife likes areas with character rather than neighborhoods with houses that all look the same. I can spend up to about 500K although I would rather stay around 400K. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
As mdtoaz said, a lot of the professors live in Sam Hughes and the surrounding neighborhoods. Sounds like a good fit for you, too, based on what you're telling us. The area doesn't fall into a good school district, but I'm pretty sure the problem's been taken care of either by having some particular good schools (even though in TUSD) or busing the kids somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson