Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times

Advertisements

Nice job, Daniel_t. I really like the concept. It seems that you went out of your way to paint the area as dreary as you could, weather, dumpster, vacant lots and all. Now go out and shoot some nice sunny pictures of a better area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Nice job, Daniel_t. I really like the concept. It seems that you went out of your way to paint the area as dreary as you could, weather, dumpster, vacant lots and all. Now go out and shoot some nice sunny pictures of a better area.
Reminds me of Robert Crumb. He loved to draw powerlines.

http://www.crumbproducts.com/prints_images/sha.gif (broken link)

Old 02-15-2008, 08:40 PM

42 posts, read 178,265 times
I hope this wasn't supposed to be funny. I know that it looks like a "bad" neighborhood, but this is where many people call home. My family and I are moving to Tucson from Memphis. Although we live in a "nice" area, many people in my city live in much worse conditions as these pictures portray and are trying to make the most of their surroundings as are the people that live in this neighborhood are.

I found this to be a very realistic view of what a city offers. Thank you for sharing this. I especially loved the snow capped mountains in the background.

--This is from a totally different point of view.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
I think I could go to any town in the country and walk a few streets and snap pics pretty much the same as these. Maybe not with the snowy mountains or cacti, but noplace is Pleasentville.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
Thanks for the comments. I wasn't trying to make Tucson look worse than it is. Certainly wasn't my intention. I just take pictures of what there is, and obviously this is what there was. I plan on taking lots more photos of Tucson in the coming week or so. I am heading downtown, then plan a trek around the U of A area. Maybe head up to A mountain or somethin and get some of those panoramic shots. If there is somethin you want to see, let me know and I will see if I can get those pics for ya. Thanks again for the comments,

Daniel_T

Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Default Happy pictures

If you could find some more pleasant pictures of Tucson area that would be great.

Chowhound.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
that is what I plan on doing. I was just walking around my neighborhood which is not that nice.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If you could find some more pleasant pictures of Tucson area that would be great.

Chowhound.
I am flying out tomorrow to move meet/do walk thru/collect deposits/rent for our new tenants.

I will take some pics but I cannot post them here until next week sometime.

My area is Southwest, and I think the rain is gone until next weekend...

Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Typical in-town Tucson neighborhood. Many of the neighborhoods in the older parts of Tucson look like that. Houses that are odd-looking, small, covered in bars, and painted with tacky colors, in dirt-filled lots, without paved driveways are unfortunately be the rule, not the exception in most neighborhoods.

This photo thread does truly fog any rose-colored glasses that perspective residents might have before coming to Tucson. Unlike where I live in the Phoenix area, most things in Tucson are definitely NOT brand new. This is what "embracing your environment" looks like in the Sonoran Desert.

Honestly, some of the pictures make Nogales look attractive.
Those pictures indeed looked pretty ghetto. However, I've explored a great deal of the central Tucson area, and I've seen much better neighborhoods than the one Daniel_T is showing. Actually, most of Tucson is better looking than those pictures. And yeah, I've seen neighborhoods in Tucson where they park their car on the "yard"-- but it's really a crushed rock driveway, not just dirt. I've also seen tons of neighborhoods with lush desert landscaping and trees. And a lot of it is which angle you choose to shoot at-- with a camera, you can make an ugly area look even uglier than it really is. One or two of the houses shown in those pictures actually looked kind of cool. Miamiman, I can see how from your vantage point in North Scottsdale, you think the Phoenix area is a "new" looking city, but truth is, you can find dozens and dozens and dozens of square miles in Phoenix that look pretty run down too. Just to go the area directly south of downtown Phoenix, south of the railroad tracks-- it looks like you're in a warzone. Much of central Phoenix, south Phoenix, the west Valley, even parts of Mesa look as bad or worse than Daniel_T's pictures.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Those pictures indeed looked pretty ghetto. However, I've explored a great deal of the central Tucson area, and I've seen much better neighborhoods than the one Daniel_T is showing. Actually, most of Tucson is better looking than those pictures. And yeah, I've seen neighborhoods in Tucson where they park their car on the "yard"-- but it's really a crushed rock driveway, not just dirt. I've also seen tons of neighborhoods with lush desert landscaping and trees. And a lot of it is which angle you choose to shoot at-- with a camera, you can make an ugly area look even uglier than it really is. One or two of the houses shown in those pictures actually looked kind of cool. Miamiman, I can see how from your vantage point in North Scottsdale, you think the Phoenix area is a "new" looking city, but truth is, you can find dozens and dozens and dozens of square miles in Phoenix that look pretty run down too. Just to go the area directly south of downtown Phoenix, south of the railroad tracks-- it looks like you're in a warzone. Much of central Phoenix, south Phoenix, the west Valley, even parts of Mesa look as bad or worse than Daniel_T's pictures.
I have restated many times that I spent a summer in Tucson. I have seen south Phoenix, I have seem the older parts of Mesa and the west Valley, but none could compete with what I saw in Tucson. Much of south Phoenix is run-down, but just the sheer number of neighborhoods in Tucson that look run-down astound me.

I highly doubt that all of the neighborhoods with bars on the windows are actually bad areas, but it somehow seems that barred-windows are somehow fashionable in Tucson. I have seen barred windows in the Catalina Foothills, on what are probably $700,000-$900,000 homes. Those bars make the neighborhood look ghetto and unsafe, when in actuality it is probably perfectly fine.

If you look at the picture with the car parked off the street next to that beautiful pea green shack, that was not crushed gravel. That was dirt. It seems people just drive 45 MPH down their street, hop the curb, and put their car in park wherever they feel. That also makes the neighborhood look cheap.

I am disturbed because these neighborhoods can look so much better than they do. It seems that people just don't care.

For as much care as Tucsonans put into making sure their city doesn't resemble Phoenix, you would think they'd put as much care into making their neighborhoods look like they're in the developed world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson