Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 31,088 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone would remember all the various bars in Tucson, but I frequented most of them. Poco Loco with the Dusty Chaps on Speedway. The PawnBroker on Kolb and Tanque Verde. That was Bob Meighan and also the Air Brothers played there. I remember a waitress named Donna, and I doubt if she remembers but I gave her Chanel No 5 for Xmas one year and gave all the waitresses perfume that XMAS. The Oxbow on first avenue, and Frank and Woody played there, along with Summer Dog playing bluegrass on Sunday nights. The Maverick on 22nd and Swan. The Cactus Moon on Broadway and Craycroft came later. There was the Buckskin on Oracle with the bucking chutes out back. The Stumble Inn on 9th and Park and the Green Dolphin down the street. Cowboys at Kolb and 22nd. It was a great time in the 70's in Tucson because you could go out seven nights a week and find a live band playing somewhere every night. Yanks on Speedway, the Embers on Speedway, the Living Room on Speedway. Here is trivia for anyone old enough. Does anyone remember the He and She a go go. And if yes, where was it in Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:13 AM

612 posts, read 1,020,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer64 View Post
It was a great time in the 70's in Tucson because you could go out seven nights a week and find a live band playing somewhere every night.
I don't disagree (too young to know), but you can also do that now! I'm not that young, though, and I do remember The Maverick on 22nd, Cactus Moon and the Green Dolphin.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:00 PM

212 posts, read 417,551 times
I spent my 70s in a small town in Wyoming. We just had local bands but we would go down to Red Rocks in Denver and saw many great bands. Just curious, did you ever see Linda Ronstadt there?

Old 07-17-2016, 03:41 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Wildcat house, Bum Steer.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 PM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
Tequila Mockingbird at El Con. I didn't move to Tucson until 1981, but I'm thinking the Tequila Mockingbird was there since the 70's?

I did a quick search, and apparently it's remembered as a hard rock music bar. (I only went for lunch while shopping, but it had a nice, cozy interior.)

Home on the Range | Feature | Tucson Weekly

"...still remembers the first time he saw Gila Bend at Tequila Mockingbird, a bar at El Con Mall (immortalized by Al in a 1985 surf-punk instrumental called "El Con Malo") that served as musical melting pot for a wide range of eccentric musicians, from Fish Karma to the then-Giant Sandworms..."

Opinion by Bonnie Henry : Scenes of yore | Tucson Home + Life | tucson.com

"...What was surprising to me are the people who look at the '80s as history," says Lozano. "They talk about clubs they remember, about being at Tequila Mockingbird at El Con Mall..."

Al Perry and Fish Karma reflect on decades in the desert | Phoenix New Times

"...The two met one fateful night at a restaurant/live music bar called the Tequila Mockingbird at the El Con Mall in Tucson. The story goes that Perry was working as a bartender, and Karma was performing a Delta blues parody in a burlap sack. Perry, being a blues purist, was offended. According to Karma, Perry would make daiquiris in a loud blender while Karma performed. From there, the details become fuzzy, but in an odd twist of events, a conversation about Poland's political situation brought the two together as friends..."

Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 AM

104 posts, read 273,314 times
I recall bars of the late 70's. Not all of them that you mention but especially the Pawnbroker and Oxbow. Bob Meighan is still around and Lisa who ran the Pawnbroker during those years is still in town too and she remained friends with a lot of that crowd. Frank of Frank and Woody can be found at Monterrey Court on occasion or the Boondocks under "Freaky Frank and Friends". I understand they're terrific and draw good crowds. It was a great time and tons of fun.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 11,530 times
Bob Meighan owned Yanks (early 80s) and his band played Thursday-Sunday.

Lots of local musicians also performed there, as well as established acts. I remember ZZ Top came for a pre-party and Zappa stopped in after his big show. It was like that.

The other two owners were Peter and John Buckhauser, (wrong spelling), who also owned Chances, which I believe was on Tanque Verde. Total meat market.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 PM

100 posts, read 176,844 times
I was at the Oxbow in about 1974. It was a blast. About seventeen, underage, dancing and drinking. It was a great bar.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 41,214 times
I was born at Tucson General Hospital in 1967. When I was about 10 yrs old, I would go downtown with my shoeshine kit and hit the bars. I remember bars like The Manhattan, Buena Vista, Esquire, The Hurricane, (which was a punk rock bar), The Chicago Bar(which became Pete's Water Hole). I would also go to the Greyhound and Trailways bus depots, The Hotel Congress, The Marriott Hotel( which is now the Holiday Inn) and the Rialto Theater. I remember Josie who was a regular at the Manhattan wouldn't let anybody cheat me out of money if I had trouble getting paid. I also went to bars on 6th ave. like The Shamrock, The Ozark, (I could never stay there for more than 30 minutes, before a fight would break out, and I would have to leave the place). the Wagon Wheel, and the Brown Derby that was on 4th ave. After that was done, I would go to Sue's Fish and Chip's for the onion rings!!!

Old 03-31-2019, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,827 times
This post takes me back. I guess the Green Dolphin is gone now, but I was their DJ in the mid 70s. Anybody know if Marv is still alive? He was the owner. We would "dance our tail off" what great memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson