U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 16,025 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just got a job in Casa Grande and I currently rent in NW Tucson. The drive down the 1-10W is VERY pleasant, but since it takes me about 50 minutes, I wouldn't want to do it forever. The organization that I work may have an opening next year in NW Tucson, but that's not guaranteed. I just started the job, so haven't had time to look around Casa Grande. I did go with a co-worker to a little eatery not far from the job and the area didn't look nice. I saw an apartment complex on the way back to the office, and it was a dump! I have heard that there are nice areas there, I just haven't been to them yet.

I like the rolling landscape of NW Tucson where I am now. I am close to Dove Mountain, but probably couldn't afford to buy here and would have to buy in an area like Continental Ranch (NW Tucson) if I stayed here. So, what is the major differences between NW Tucson and Casa Grande? I did read a 2 year old thread on here that stated the air was dirtier in Casa Grande. Which place is nicer overall? I want to buy a house with a pool within the year. I like living in or near the mountains versus flat landscape; the views are prettier. Plus, I live on the second floor and there is a nice breeze that blows through my apartment window late at night.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 04:47 AM

694 posts, read 741,451 times
Fifty minutes doesn't sound so bad. It could be a nice time for you if you have things you like to listen to; books, music, podcasts. Time to yourself every day. I remember a woman who lived in Dyer, Indiana, and commuted to and from the U of Chicago (40 mins); she said she really looked forward to the time to herself twice a day -- and her commute was not nearly as scenic nor easy.

My husband has a 1-1/2 hour commute into Chicago via Metra commuter train and bus/walking; he'd rather not, of course, and telecommutes Wednesdays. But he snoozes on the train, reads books and gets his built-in twice-daily exercise walking from the station to his workplace and vice versa. It's what people make of it, I guess.

We used to live at the lakefront in Hyde Park, but now live in a west-suburban village with corn and soybean fields and the Fox River five minutes away. We've been here 15 years, and I wish we'd moved straight here and skipped the lakefront. If you decide you don't like the commute, you could always move later after you hear much more about Casa Grande.

The ruins at Casa Grande are a fabulous asset; I would probably spend a lot of time and interest there. "...Proclaimed Casa Grande Reservation by an order of President Benjamin Harrison on June 22, 1892, Casa Grande Ruins became the first prehistoric and cultural reserve in the US. It was then re-designated a national monument by President Woodrow Wilson on August 3, 1918..."

Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 AM

Thanks Wilma. I have to reiterate that I have never had such a pleasant drive. Right now, I enjoy listening to popular music on the radio station on the drive. I could easily see myself listening to tape that teach Spanish as well. I enjoy this kind of driving much more than the stop and go on the streets, and the aggravation of busy freeways.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM

It would be very helpful if a few other people weighed in with opinions and insight...Is there no one on here who is familiar with one or both places? I've only lived in NW Tucson since last Nov.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 AM

613 posts, read 898,389 times
You probably aren't getting a lot of responses for a few reasons: 1) this isn't a heavily active board in the first place, 2) most Tucsonans aren't likely to be familiar with living in Casa Grande and most importantly 3) you haven't really painted a clear picture of what kind of person you are/what you like about living in a place, so it's hard to answer.

As for which is nicer - definitely Tucson. Casa Grande is, to put it nicely, right smack in the middle of where you don't want to be unless you have to be. You get the extra dirt, blowing dust, high winds and heat of Phoenix without any of the big city amenities. If there's nice parts of Casa Grande I've never seen them, but I did notice a new housing development just North of there as I drove past (quickly) on my way home yesterday, so I certainly could be wrong about that. Either way, though, there is practically nothing to do there - you'd be driving to Phoenix or Tucson an awful lot anyhow.

Something else to consider is that you don't have to live in Northwest Tucson if your commute is all I-10. For example, I mapped out the time from Dove Mountain and Tangerine to Casa Grande and it was 50 minutes, but from Silverbell and Ironwood Hill it was 58 minutes. A difference of 8 minutes, but that gives you some more options, at least, without extending your commute time too much.

Finally, if you move to Casa Grande and lose this job, where does that leave you? Tucson's economy isn't fantastic, but at least it's a decent-sized city and certainly has a lot more job opportunities than a place like Casa Grande (depending, of course, on what your field is). Long term Casa Grande feels like more of a gamble.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM

300 posts, read 482,601 times
Are you aware that if there is a bad accident on I-10 there is no other freeway back and forth? When I lived in Phoenix a co-worker told me that sometimes he had to get a room somewhere for the night because due to an accident on I-10 he could not get to his home in Casa Grande.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Hey, thanks for the updates everyone. Casa Grande really doesn't sound that great so far. If I'm missing something, someone please speak up.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 AM

8,875 posts, read 15,042,189 times
No, you're not missing anything. I've never lived in Casa Grande and I can't imagine doing so. It may have about doubled in size since I moved to NW Tucson nearly 11 years ago, but as far as I'm concerned, there's still nothing to do.

Go to the one mall? Go to see a movie? Go to the Walmart? As far as I can tell, Mimi's Cafe is what passes for fine dining and it didn't exist until just a couple of years ago. And the thought of putting up with all the dust and pollen would send me around the bend. It's bad enough in the Tucson suburbs.

If I had to work there, I'd easily be willing to commute for more than an hour. Music. Books on tape. NPR. ESPN Radio.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 PM

Jukesgrrl, they have either a Red Lobster or Olive Garden near the new mall. But, I agree, with everything that you said. It's dusty and hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson