Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times

Advertisements

Like most cities, the Tucson newspaper has changed their online newspaper to accommodate smart cell phone users (along w/ dumbing down their content to where it's now mostly fluff articles). I find it all too distracting on my home PC, so I was wondering if any Tucsonians here could recommend a better online source to get local and state news from Az?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 07:49 PM

700 posts, read 918,919 times
I subscribe to (pay for) the e-version of the Arizona Daily Star. It's the actual hard copy newspaper, put online for the desktop computer with the articles available as text. It's not the online free version. I've been taking the ADS this way for a couple of decades (since we moved away); the ADS has had an online presence for a very long time.

P.S. We also subscribe to (pay for) the e-versions of the Arizona Republic, the Chicago Sun-Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Aurora (IL) Beacon News, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,858 times
The Tucson Sentinel is also there. It's small and independent (to my knowledge, that is) and while it wouldn't stand on it's own as a news source it does offer some quality material and is worth looking into. TucsonSentinel.com - Tucson news, info & commentary

Old 09-30-2016, 03:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
If I paid to subscribe to every newspaper that I like to browse I'd be broke! The Sentinel looked promising upon first glance (for what it is). Thanks for the link.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:32 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If I paid to subscribe to every newspaper that I like to browse I'd be broke! The Sentinel looked promising upon first glance (for what it is). Thanks for the link.
There're ways around getting by the paywall for some newspapers. Google Chrome is my go to browser, but if I want to read newspapers like the Arizona Daily Star, which only gives you a certain amount of "free articles" per month I open up my Mozilla Foxfire browser and have an add-on called cookie cutter, that is an automatic cookie deleter. So instead of having to manually go in and delete your cookies, it does it for you and you can continuously read as many articles as you want, becauase every time you visit the site it thinks it is the first time you are visiting it for that month. Like I mentioned it doesn't work with all newspaper paywalls, but it does for some like the Star.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 AM

404 posts, read 480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There're ways around getting by the paywall for some newspapers. Google Chrome is my go to browser, but if I want to read newspapers like the Arizona Daily Star, which only gives you a certain amount of "free articles" per month I open up my Mozilla Foxfire browser and have an add-on called cookie cutter, that is an automatic cookie deleter. So instead of having to manually go in and delete your cookies, it does it for you and you can continuously read as many articles as you want, becauase every time you visit the site it thinks it is the first time you are visiting it for that month. Like I mentioned it doesn't work with all newspaper paywalls, but it does for some like the Star.
I didn't know this, thanks.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
This is a good site if you wanna know about minor day to day things like accidents.

https://mobile.twitter.com/whatsuptucson?lang=en

Old 10-18-2016, 10:13 PM

21 posts, read 28,304 times
Hands down it's Tucson Sentinel. Tucson Weekly also has some good articles as well I also listen to our local NPR station. Also, the local Council Member/Vice-Mayor for Ward 6, Steve Kozachik puts out a thoughtful and provocative newsletter every Monday afternoon https://www.tucsonaz.gov/ward-6

Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
I subscribe to (pay for) the e-version of the Arizona Daily Star. It's the actual hard copy newspaper, put online for the desktop computer with the articles available as text. It's not the online free version. I've been taking the ADS this way for a couple of decades (since we moved away); the ADS has had an online presence for a very long time.
Apologies for reviving an old thread...

Do people think the AZ Daily Star is worth reading to keep up on local news? I am of an age that newspaper reading has always been important to me. I used to read the e-edition of my former paper (the actual hard copy newspaper put online for desktop reading) and was looking into doing that again - although I'm a bit irked that it appears the only way to subscribe is via "EZ-Pay".

I looked at the Tucson Weekly and the Tucson Sentinel and both are useless for up-to-date daily news that in reality, only a real newspaper provides. (IMHO)

I've already figured out the editorial political slant of the ADS so no need to comment on "it's too lefty for my taste" (or variants of that).

Thanks

Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 AM

700 posts, read 918,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Apologies for reviving an old thread...
I have relied on the ADS online every morning since we moved away in 1994 (they were early adopters of online), and I also have a subscription to the ADS archive at Newspapers.com, which goes back to 1877. It's a real pleasure to read the archive, and I usually do read a little bit every day. Since territorial times, the ADS has been and remains one of the important institutions in the city. I do use the EZ-pay method, and I get it on my computer in the facsimile style, like this:

https://tinyurl.com/yd9oyzk2

If you read all of it every day, you will know what's going on. Thursdays include "Caliente," which has all the arts and activities; Sundays have the Home section for real estate, gardening, people features, etc. Other days have specific columns; I love the transportation columns especially, and they have one called Roadrunner on Mondays. Like all the other topics, their coverage of local sports is truly local and good. The ADS is very involved in the community. They have many awards for local reporting. Among other programs, they co-sponsor and instituted the Tucson Festival of Books, which had 130K attendance this year.

My case is kind of different, because I'm dyslexic. My husband is a software developer and decades ago he created adaptive software for me that converts text to speech. I used to have the computer read the articles one after the other with this program onto a cassette tape; but since iPod came out, they are kind of revolutionary in how they have changed my approach. I upload the sounds files to iTunes, put them on iPod, and away we go.

The ADS provides an easy text capture mode with one click so that I can get the stories I want to listen to easily.

For someone who has plenty of time and mobility, all the Tucson-Pima library branches carry the ADS.

P.S. Here is a bio of the gentleman who founded the ADS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._C._Hughes

Last edited by WilmaWildcat; 03-31-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson