U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,213 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Tucson from Illinois. Job is close to the airport area. We are looking to buy a house, we found what we like in the following areas: (1) Marana (Dove Mountain area) (2) Vail (Sierra Morado) (3) Oro Valley....need suggestions/opinions on pros/cons in these areas. Hoping to make a final decision soon. Factors we considered include commute time, school quality, safety, distance to grocery stores/restaurants, outdoor activities (hiking, swimming, biking). Thank you in advanced for your feedback/suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 08:18 AM

387 posts, read 810,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewilson View Post
We just moved to Tucson from Illinois. Job is close to the airport area. We are looking to buy a house, we found what we like in the following areas: (1) Marana (Dove Mountain area) (2) Vail (Sierra Morado) (3) Oro Valley....need suggestions/opinions on pros/cons in these areas. Hoping to make a final decision soon. Factors we considered include commute time, school quality, safety, distance to grocery stores/restaurants, outdoor activities (hiking, swimming, biking). Thank you in advanced for your feedback/suggestions.
Welcome to Tucson.

Here is how I see your selections in regard to your commute times.

Oro Valley would be the worst, Dove Mountain then Vail being the closet I suspect. Look up the zip codes for each area then the airport and check out the base driving times and mileage.

Issue about Tucson is lack of a convenient freeway access. You can find out yourself by just driving to and from the locations you favor.

Each area has it big pluses. The downside to living in Vail I understand is lack of infrastructure, however larger lots and good school system.

Marana is very spread out in my mind but growing in population and basic big store shopping off the freeway. Actual Dove Mountain living is very high end, small lots, retirement oriented, close to freeway though.

Oro Valley is wonderful, closer to shopping, dining and good schools however commute to interstate would get tiring, no free rides there. Great hiking and swimming opportunities and you will see many folks biking around.

In closing you need to take your time and SEE for yourself, your the one whom has to live with your choices.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:41 PM

9,526 posts, read 28,981,422 times
My opinion, JEWilson . . . scratch Dove Mountain and Oro Valley primarily due to the commute.

When relocating to Tucson back in the late 90s I purchased a home near the Tucson Mall (Stone Avenue just South of the Rillito) primarily because I had my fill of commuting to and from the suburbs back in California. For seven years I commuted to the Tucson Airport area and even with the ability to pick my own hours, the commute stunk.

Good Luck and Welcome to Tucson.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:01 AM

613 posts, read 890,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewilson View Post
The commutes from Oro Valley and Dove Mountain will be 40-45 minutes. Maybe more if you are travelling at peak rush hour times. The commute from vail is likely about 25 minutes or so.

For groceries you will have no problem in Oro Valley and Dove Mountain, with more options in Oro Valley as it is the more established community at this point (though Dove Mountain/Marana in general is growing quickly). Vail is lagging behind a tad in this department depending on where exactly you land, but it is also growing so that should change soon.

For restaurants Oro Valley is the best choice, with Dove Mountain a distant second and Vail a definitive third. In all three cases you will really likely find yourself heading into Tucson and Dove Mountain wins here with the quickest access to Downtown via Twin Peaks and I-10.

For swimming, I hope you mean swimming pools? Oro Valley comes out the likely winner here with it's aquatics center.

For hiking it's likely Oro Valley the winner, with Vail a close second and Dove Mountain a close third. Probably it's a wash. With Oro Valley and Marana you have easy access to trails in the Tortolita and Catalina ranges. With Vail you are at the base of the Rincons, and the Arizona Trail runs right through the area. Either way, there is excellent hiking throughout the region and wherever you land you won't have any lack of access to great trails.

Cycling is the same - it's good everywhere. Dove Mountain and Oro Valley are full of bike lanes, and there's also "The Loop" bicycle path. Vail is less developed in this regard, but there is better mountain biking and good access to some classic Tucson riding areas.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,213 times
Thank you all for your inputs! We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback! We feel very welcome here in Tucson, people are very nice and friendly...loving it

Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 AM

93 posts, read 125,171 times
Hi jewilson and welcome.

We moved from Geneva, IL back in March, loving every minute of it

We settled in Oro Valley, commute is 35-45 minutes to Broadway & Rosemont where my office is, and the wife works at Banner hospital, so her commute is roughly the same as mine.

It's a little sacrifice, but still reasonable for us. In IL my commute was roughly the same time but shorter distance (obviously not when it snowed), so i'm used to this kind of commute.

I've started my own thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...csons-way.html

You could read there and get my input if you'd like.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM

8,875 posts, read 14,965,839 times
Other than the commute, which will be no fun no matter what, it depends what you need for schools. Oro Valley has fine public schools and also has a Basis School, which is considered one of the best systems in the nation. The Sonoran Science Academy has several locations in Tucson (including K-12 south of OV and 6-12 at Davis-Monthan AFB). Both Basis and SSA are free charter schools with an emphasis on college prep and STEM education. Placement is via an application system. Vail's public school system is well-regarded. Just so you know, Vail is very popular with military families stationed at Davis-Monthan. So it's a more transient population than the other two. Marana is more rural than OV and as someone else mentioned Dove Mountain has a lot of retired people.

Children would have the most options in Oro Valley. There are 65 miles of bike and walking trails, many parks with amenities ranging from archery to tennis to horseback riding (and golf, of course). A big dog park, too. The aquatic center already mentioned is competition class and they have Olympic trials there. There's a hospital in Oro Valley (a branch of the Northwest Medical Center) which is not true of the the other two locations. Vail has a free-standing ER run by Northwest and from Dove Mountain you'd have to use one of the other Northwest locations or the new clinic just opened by the Marana Health Center. OV is also the hands-down winner for shopping, restaurants, and community activities.

BASIS Oro Valley

Sonoran Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson