Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Status: "Positive change starts with admitting when one is wrong." (set 29 days ago)

32 posts, read 45,260 times

Advertisements

I'd lived in conservative, Sun City West for a few years, about 10-years back, and felt it was a pleasant, quieter – though socially empty – place to live, versus the expense, and much faster pace of California. I'm now nearing 60, and looking at soon retiring; but, as a single, gay man, many 55+ communities seem to me like social deserts (slight pun intended :>)

I've recently been researching Quail Creek, as well as the rest of the Robson developments in the Tucson area – including their Robson Ranch community, which is closer to Phoenix, as well as Sun City Anthem.

But, even after many hours of net-research, I've yet to reach any substantial conclusions regarding which communities would work well for me, longterm. As such, I'd appreciate any ideas that fellow readers here may have regarding the acceptance, and prevalence, of gay retirees at the various 55+ communities in Arizona. Thank you, ahead of time, for your considered opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 AM

68 posts, read 126,093 times
Saddlebrooke! The original community. We have a club called GLAAS. Google it. My husband and I are "allies" of the gay and lesbian community. You would like it here.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Status: "Positive change starts with admitting when one is wrong." (set 29 days ago)

Hello RCN55. Thanks for your reply, and for the great info; much appreciated!

Old 05-05-2017, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 24,675 times
Hello Dean W.

There are two social groups in Tucson that you'll be happy to know about: the PrimeTimers and the Men's Social Network.

The PrimeTimers have lots of lunches throughout every week and both of them have websites.

Good luck!

Tucson Prime Timers - Home

Men's Social Network

Old 05-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Thanks, ARIZanon, for the links!

Old 05-15-2017, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,227 times
Hi Dean. Just spoke to RCN55. She mentioned your posting to me. I also live in SaddleBrooke. I moved here to retire 2 yrs ago. I was glad to learn og GLAAS, a LGBT organization here in SB. Although being a gay male doesn't define me, it is part of my life. I was happy to find a growing group of men and women who share that aspect in common. Its nice to have a sense of belonging and community. We had an organizational meeting today to discuss the expansion and direction of our group. We number 100 strong, nd hopefully growing. You might want to consider SB knowing that there is a small but diverse group here that shares this life's aspect with you. It has been great getting to know people, and creating that part of my life in a welcoming, safe and comfortable environment. Besides everything else that SB has to offer a retiree, its nice to know there are people who share this commonality. You hopefully would as well. Besides, it would be great for the rest of us single men to have another single man to socialize with!
Whatever you decide, best wishes in the next phase of your life!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
My wife and I have become friends with a married couple from CA (two women). They bought a home in Green Valley. Prior to moving here they were warned by the folks from the area they left in CA that they'd have "issues" in AZ and Tucson. Nope. None. Nada.

I introduced the two to my informal shooting club. When they don't show up at the weekly "shoot" the guys ask me where are they? At any rate, the two seem to be having a ball here.

My take is, this area is sort of "libertarian" in philosophy; you do your thing, let me do mine. As for social connections, can't help you there, but it would appear other posters have come up with suggestions for you.

Best of luck,

Rich

Old 05-20-2017, 12:28 AM

Hello skindep, and RichCapeCod,

Firstly, my apologies for the tardiness of my reply. When I hadn't seen any responses for a week or so, I'd stopped checking-back; but, I did think to look again today, and saw both of your replies. I appreciate the insight that each of you have offered, and I'm seriously considering SaddleBrooke.

Now, skindep, a couple of non socially-related concerns have come to my attention regarding that community. One, is the longterm availability of water; and the second concern revolves around a state-run waste storage facility located adjacent to the community boundary. Do you, by chance, happen to know anything about either of those issues?

Again, thank you skindep, and RichCapeCod, for having taken the time to reply.

Regards,

Dean

Old 05-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Default Water-Issues

Hello skindep,

Just wanted to follow-up, as I've decided that concerns regarding longterm water availability, and water safety, have motivated me to choose to look at additional communities. I do, though, appreciate your kind reply, and also those of the others posters!

Best wishes,

Dean W.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 43,685 times
Dean W.

I have been following your thread with great interest....would you be able to follow up with an update on places you are considering? I have also been strongly looking at SB and GV. I will try to ferret out the longterm water availability and safety issues you are referring to -- in other threads.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson