Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 21,454 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Tucson area and we are wondering what life is like in Vail? I've heard schools are good (we'll have a daughter starting sophomore year of high school) and that's a top priority for us, but since she'll only have a few years left, we'd like to settle in an area where we can enjoy life as "empty nesters."

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 02:04 PM

499 posts, read 470,686 times
See my reply to your other post, but Vail in particular has some decent school choices, but they are not the academic powerhouses that are University High and Basis High. The downside is it is far from the center of town, has few trees (okay maybe young ones but not a lot of lush and mature vegetation) and feels a bit remote. Others may differ with me on that. Houses in Vail tend to be cheaper since it is further away from the core of Tucson.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Do you mean Vail or Vail School district including rita ranch, Mesquite ranch, etc?
Vail is Vail and Corona De Tucson, Rita Ranch is in Tucson but goes to Vail Schools.

I live in the unincorporated area of Vail, but many of my sons friends live in Rita Ranch. I used to live in Rita Ranch and Rita Ranch can be hit or miss now that many of the HOAs have been dissolved.

1. Good Luck getting into BASIS or Sonoran Science Academy. You might have good luck but I have known couples who tried to get their kids in year after year and have not been selected.

2. I have no personal knowledge of University but it seems no better than Andrada Polytechinic in Vail SD. Andrada has a long waiting list so I can only imagine how bad BASIS and SSAs list are. Empire and Cienega are good schools. Not great schools. Pantano is better. There are special schools like Andrada Poly and Vail Science Academy but.... the list...

3. For me working on DM, Vail is perfect, it depends on where you work. I don't have to play the stop every half mile game on the way to work. If you work in downtown hop on I-10.

4. In Rita ranch the houses are 20-25 years old and most of the vegetation is now mature. Just google use google street view.My old house had a 2 20 ft palm trees and 30 ft eucalyptus that was awesome for shade.

5. The core of Tucson is expensive, but just because of the U of A. go a mile in any direction away from the core and you can get a house for 170k easy. I prefer newer homes and neighborhoods with nice roads and side walks. Many areas of the core have no sidewalks and 3rd world roads despite 500k+ prices. Most homes in Vail proper go for 300k but you can find some bargains in the 180-220k range in rita ranch and Corona de Tucson.

6. I don't know what you enjoy as empty nesters so it's hard to say. This is what I'll say. When I leave DM its 101 degrees when I get out to Vail its 96 degrees with a cool breeze. Vail is outside of the influnce of the massive heat island that the city creates. It's also 800-1000 feet higher in elevation. To me that's worth it alone. Of course, you are car dependent there is no mass transit. But most people who are looking at Vail know that in advance. I like to sit in my backyard and gaze at the stars from the hot tub, its a nice experience. So yeah its out there a bit, but to me it's an escape from an otherwise intolerable area. Not to mention the view from my back patio is awesome. Unimpeded views of Rincon and Tanque verde Peak are so close and it all just looks amazing at sunset.

I wouldn't let people talk you out of Vail but don't let me talk you into it either. When I moved back to Tucson I told my realtor 4/2.5 2000+ sq ft Vail or Rita Ranch with a pool and he made it happen for less than 300k. Some of the views in Corona de Tucson are really spectacular, you can see the whole valley. I think its the best bang for your buck.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 21,454 times
Default Thanks!

AndyAMG,

My husband will be working for Caterpillar downtown, but also is in the Air National Guard and has most likely secured a job already when he was out there in April for his annual training. I am a teacher and a personal trainer; as of now undecided what route I want to go out there.

I LOVE the outdoors and enjoy the heat, so I'm looking forward to the move. I think my daughters will like as well.

From your descriptions, I think we would be happy in Vail. I like city life but I do prefer living in a smaller community, having access to the city when desired/necessary.

I've been looking at Empire but will check out the other high schools you've mentioned. We also looked into CF and OV (I had reservations about those areas due to past experiences with like communities) and also Basis (don't like the wait list.....).

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Call me nuts, as many already have, however . . .

I just do not see the Vail area as the best choice for "empty nesters" as it is just a little too "family" with too many kids.

Nothing wrong with Vail but there are better choices for your upcoming lifestyle.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:40 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
My son goes to Empire. I asked him "how is it?" Answer: "fine, it's school"

In Portland my son went to Milwaukie Academy of Arts a highly rated school I asked him how is it? The answer: "fine, it's school."

So unfortunately, I have no real information for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson