Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 21,469 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is relocating to the Tucson area summer 2018 due to my husband's jobs with Caterpillar and Air National Guard. We have two children; one will be starting college but the other one will be a sophomore in high school. We have been looking at surrounding areas' schools but we could use some personal perspectives! We are looking for a high school with a strong fine arts program and one that has a strong academic program. What are some of the best schools around Tucson that are located in nice areas that we would still enjoy living in once kids are no longer living with us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 AM

700 posts, read 918,604 times
You probably can't go wrong with Catalina Foothills school district, which is in an upscale part of Tucson metro in Pima County, bordering north of the city in the foothills of the Santa Catalina mountains. It always does well in state testing.

But there are several school choices, such as Basis schools, University High, Salpointe High (Catholic) and others that posters who have children in school can weigh in on. I am not sure about performing arts opportunities and would be interested to hear about that as well.

Caterpillar is based downtown, and your husband will have a commute down into the city; but in my opinion, nowhere in Tucson is a long commute. Lots of staff and faculty at the University of Arizona commute from the Foothills, for example.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM

499 posts, read 470,870 times
You do not indicate your price range, but for a nice area with close access to central Tucson, I would look at the near foothills area (find La Encantada on a map and use that as a touchstone). That area has shops, restaurants and it is in a beautiful setting. You can go east 10-15 minutes and be in Sabino Canyon for hiking. Go south 10-15 minutes at be at the university, or downtown Tucson, or go west 10 minutes and be at all kinds of restaurants, bars, and shopping near Ina and Oracle.

As for schools, if you want great academics and fine arts, look first at University High. It is a nationally ranked public high school at which I taught for many years. The population is diverse, but the culture is highly supportive of both academics and fine arts. Their choral and band directors are the best in the state (by competition results and invitations to perform) and there is a great drama department. Basis is very good on academics but doesn't offer much in the way of fine arts. Other possibilities are Tucson High (great arts but weaker academically) or Salpointe which is a good all-around Catholic high school. The area high school for the near foothills is Catalina Foothills HS. It is a strong all-around school with a less diverse population and higher socio-economic status. Good sports programs, good academics.

If you want to add more information regarding price range and other must-haves, I will happy to address those. I've been in Tucson for 40 years now, so I know it pretty well

Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I'll look more into those areas. My husband doesn't want to go over $400k on house and we are thinking about building, so CF is most likely out but looks like we have lots of options.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiMarie View Post
Hello,

My family is relocating to the Tucson area summer 2018 due to my husband's jobs with Caterpillar and Air National Guard. We have two children; one will be starting college but the other one will be a sophomore in high school. We have been looking at surrounding areas' schools but we could use some personal perspectives! We are looking for a high school with a strong fine arts program and one that has a strong academic program. What are some of the best schools around Tucson that are located in nice areas that we would still enjoy living in once kids are no longer living with us?

Thanks!

Both of your husband's work locations are south of the city. Your best bet is Sahuarita which is about 15 miles south of the city and is a much easier commute than some of the other locations. And your price range is very compatible.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Both of your husband's work locations are south of the city.
For whatever reason when I read Caterpillar, I thought that she meant he will be working in the new downtown Caterpillar HQ they are building and not the proving ground in Green Valley, but I could be wrong.

Caterpillar Inc. bringing regional HQ to downtown Tucson, 600 jobs

Old 05-14-2017, 08:20 PM

700 posts, read 918,604 times
cjseliga, I thought she referred to the new Caterpillar HQ downtown also, as I mentioned above...

Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 AM

Yes, he'll be downtown at the new HQ building.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM

44 posts, read 67,184 times
I would go with Catalina Foothills SD. You can get a nice home here for under $400k or you can rent. It will be somewhat of a commute for your husband but once you get to know the shortcuts and best N-S roads, you will be fine. Besides it is a lovely respite from the city to come home to. My favorite area in CatFoot is the Sabino Canyon area.
I would not recommend Basis Schools, but looks like previous posters have some other good school options closer to your husband's employment. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM

30 posts, read 53,067 times
Arizona schools have an open enrollment policy - your child can go to a school outside of his or her district provided the school has room. So if you find your ideal home in Oro Valley your son or daughter could still attend CFHS. There are a lot of Marana kids going to school in OV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson