Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 44,615 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently relocated to Tucson and have been grateful for the insight this site is able to provide. I am kind of lost and am going to rattle off a series of questions, so any of them you can answer would be greatly appreciated!

I took on a role in the corporate sector that I've determined is not for me. It is not a terrible job but causing me a myriad of anxiety and depression.

I have a journalism degree and was talented enough to work for a small (but real, not school) newspaper while still in high school. I absolutely loved it, especially sports. I also love photography. I can write copy, stories, and edit. I just cannot seem to track down any kind of opportunities like this in Tucson. I know it's tough everywhere, but there has to be something. Anything to do with writing, photography or even proofreading would be a dream right now. Any tips or leads to openings in that field are greatly appreciated!

Now, on to part two. I was a substitute teacher for two years after graduating college but before I moved (thanks to no journalism opportunities there). I've always been drawn to teaching and really excelled as a sub. I did not pursue certification due to the cost but hear one doesn't necessarily need to be certified to teach here? I'd be more than happy to teach at the secondary level this upcoming fall if I just knew where to look. I believe I align most with English but if I could teach journalism/newspaper/photography, even better. Would a charter school be the way to go? If so, which ones?

Basically, I'm open to either journalism or teaching. I like the creativity involved in journalism but would prefer a teacher's schedule. I know AZ isn't the best for teachers, but unless it was a horrible school I can make it with a modest salary. I can live on $25,000 a year so anything more is a bonus. Money is not add important to me as enjoying what I do. I don't really know what other issues exist in Tucson schools but have a realistic expectation that not everything is rosy. As a sub, I was able to connect with some of the toughest kids with a little logic and a lot of compassion. Not all, but a good number of them.

Again, even the smallest insight in to any of my questions is greatly appreciated! Any other jobs related to these fields or something just low stress and/or flexible would also be appreciated! Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 05:01 AM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
The U of A has a good journalism school. The department published two student papers when I was at the UA, one in Tombstone and one bilingual; and the Arizona Daily Wildcat is an independent campus paper published by students since 1899. So like other departments on campus, the journalism school graduates students who would like to stay in Tucson.

What I have noticed from by-lines in the Arizona Daily Star is that some reporters go on to be spokespeople for companies and government positions, such as Tucson Electric Power, Martha McSally, Governor Ducey. Until recently Tucson was a two-major newspaper city. Gannett's Tucson Citizen had been since 1870 the oldest continuously published Arizona newspaper when it ceased publication in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson_Citizen

So there is always competition for those positions; what I also noticed is that even in engineering and business disciplines, it's necessary for students to cultivate a relationship with an employer if they want to stay in Tucson after they graduate. Tucson is a small job market; in fact, Phoenix is a relatively small job market, which is why we moved away after my husband reached the level at which opportunities out of state were more likely.

But thousands of people find work in Tucson and manage to live their entire lives there if they want to; so it can be done.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 AM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
I just saw this in the Arizona Daily Star this morning; all the best!

TUSD looks to fill teaching positions at job fair on Friday, June 2 | Education | tucson.com

Quote:
TUSD is looking to hire teachers for all grades, subjects at job fair

The Tucson Unified School District is hosting a job fair Friday, June 2, to fill vacant teaching positions.

Teachers for all grades and subject matters are being sought and qualified applicants will be hired on site.

Stipends being offered include $2,000 for a master's degree, $3,000 for a doctorate and $2,500 to

$3,000 in retention and hiring stipends.

The job fair is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the gym at Santa Rita High School, 3951 S. Pantano Road.

To view openings or complete an application ahead of time, go to jobs.tusd1.org

Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,148 times
You are definitely going to have better luck seeking a teaching job than a journalism-oriented gig. Journalism jobs have always been tough here, but now there are fewer publications doing less actual journalism and the population pool is larger.

That said, there are journalism jobs and people do manage to find them, so I wouldn't say it's impossible, especially since you aren't constrained by budget based on your original comments.

Best of luck, and welcome to Tucson!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
I have a cousin-in-law who writes for the Arizona Daily Star, I think he has been there since 1996, before that he wrote for the Las Vegas Review-Journal and he does freelance stuff on the side as well. While newspapers are not dead, some feel like they are on life-support.

According to my relative, the newspaper industry has changed so much over the last 20 years, mostly due to the internet. He enjoys what he does and is just thankful he still has a job in the industry, he graduated from Northwestern with a journalism degree back in the mid-80's.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:03 PM

13 posts, read 44,615 times
Thank you all for the insight so far! Missed the job fair sadly due to having to work. But can maybe go to another!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson