Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Can anybody recommend a decent and reasonably priced company installing blinds in town you've been happy with? Preferably one giving free estimates. I thought everybody gives free estimates, but it turns out Lowe's wants $39 even for that... I'd appreciate some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Can anybody recommend a decent and reasonably priced company installing blinds in town you've been happy with? Preferably one giving free estimates. I thought everybody gives free estimates, but it turns out Lowe's wants $39 even for that... I'd appreciate some input.
Save your money and frustration, SierraAZ . . . check these guys and you won't be sorry or disappointed.

American Blinds, Wallpaper & More online store decoratetoday.com: Discount Blinds, Shutters, Cellular Shades

Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Save your money and frustration, SierraAZ . . . check these guys and you won't be sorry or disappointed.

American Blinds, Wallpaper & More online store decoratetoday.com: Discount Blinds, Shutters, Cellular Shades

Good Luck!
Thanks, Bummer, but this company is out of MI. You can only order online.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Bummer, but this company is out of MI. You can only order online.
That's true, Sierra . . . but you will save BIG BUCKS over the local guys on Brand Names plus no sales tax and fast shipping.

I've used them a number of times and have never been disappointed.

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
That's true, Sierra . . . but you will save BIG BUCKS over the local guys on Brand Names plus no sales tax and fast shipping.

I've used them a number of times and have never been disappointed.

Good Luck
I'm sure you're right, but it's not for me...

I think our new Tucsonan mdtoaz got a new house not long ago. Maybe she has some recent blinds experience.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
Quote:
I'm sure you're right, but it's not for me...

I think our new Tucsonan mdtoaz got a new house not long ago. Maybe she has some recent blinds experience.
I don't know how much help I'm gonna be, but here goes. When we were doing all the options for our house, we got the pricing for blinds from the builder and a couple other places. Surprisingly, the builder was actually cheaper, but we still didn't get them from the builder because they didn't have very many choices.

Just so you'll have an idea, we were looking at mainly 2 1/2" wood blinds. We have 4 windows that are 36" wide, 4 windows that are 48" wide, and 3 that are 72" wide. (Just giving you the sizes for comparison)

We went to Interior Innovations on Ruthrauff Rd. They had some really nice choices (they do cabinets and countertops too). One style that we liked totalled $2555 for all of the windows, the other style was $1902. I can't remember what exactly the difference was now. The price includes installation.

We also went to 3-Day Blinds... the name in itself is wrong. They should call themselves 2 week blinds. They didn't have any choices that we really loved, but we got pricing for one that was okay - $1303 for everything. I wasn't too impressed with them, honestly.

We didn't have anyone come out to the house because it wasn't finished yet, but we had the measurements.

We've never had to furnish a whole house w/blinds before and the prices were a little shocking to us. So, ultimately, we ended up going to Lowes. Luckily our windows were pretty generic sizes, so we were able to get everything there w/o custom ordering anything. We got some wood blinds, some woven thingys that look pretty cool and also a cellular style all for around $500. With all the other money we were spending, $1300 - 2500 felt like a punch in the gut at the time, so we went the cheap route. Don't know if this helps, but good luck to ya.

Oh, one last thing... obviously we had to install the Lowe's blinds ourselves, but it's really not that hard. Hell, we'll install yours for the right price.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you're right, but it's not for me . . .

Come on, Sierra . . . if I can do it, ANYONE CAN!

Especially considering I saved more than 50% for a brand name (Hunter Douglas).

Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I don't know how much help I'm gonna be, but here goes. When we were doing all the options for our house, we got the pricing for blinds from the builder and a couple other places. Surprisingly, the builder was actually cheaper, but we still didn't get them from the builder because they didn't have very many choices.
Thank you very much for the extensive response, mdtoaz! See? You're a big time local already! In rep jail right now, but I'll owe you one! I could've gotten them through the builder, too, but I hadn't decided yet what I wanna do (certainly would've been better to roll them into the mortgage). Not quite clear even now... I'm not a big fan of blinds to begin with, but they seem to be a necessary evil at least on some windows. They can definitely enhance the decor as well (in different colors and textures), but since there's no decision on that, either, I'll probably go with something neutral. Besides, they are permanent fixtures. Better keep them as neutral as possible in case I get tired of this big "bite" that I'll have hard time chewing with my two left hands sooner rather than later...

Quote:
Just so you'll have an idea, we were looking at mainly 2 1/2" wood blinds. We have 4 windows that are 36" wide, 4 windows that are 48" wide, and 3 that are 72" wide. (Just giving you the sizes for comparison)

We went to Interior Innovations on Ruthrauff Rd. They had some really nice choices (they do cabinets and countertops too). One style that we liked totalled $2555 for all of the windows, the other style was $1902. I can't remember what exactly the difference was now. The price includes installation.

We also went to 3-Day Blinds... the name in itself is wrong. They should call themselves 2 week blinds. They didn't have any choices that we really loved, but we got pricing for one that was okay - $1303 for everything. I wasn't too impressed with them, honestly.

We didn't have anyone come out to the house because it wasn't finished yet, but we had the measurements.

We've never had to furnish a whole house w/blinds before and the prices were a little shocking to us. So, ultimately, we ended up going to Lowes. Luckily our windows were pretty generic sizes, so we were able to get everything there w/o custom ordering anything. We got some wood blinds, some woven thingys that look pretty cool and also a cellular style all for around $500. With all the other money we were spending, $1300 - 2500 felt like a punch in the gut at the time, so we went the cheap route. Don't know if this helps, but good luck to ya.
So, you've been proactive. Good for you. I don't wanna make a hasty decision, but on the other hand those temporary thingies (RediShade) drive me nuts. Even though I've never had to do this before, either, I'm aware they can be pretty pricey. With 3-day (2-weeks ) Blinds were you not impressed with the blinds themselves or with the service? I need somebody to come over. I can't trust myself with the measurements... I've taken a look at Lowe's. Since my needs are kinda simple, theirs may very well work. I don't think the sizes of my windows are anything unusual. They might even offer installation... gotta check. I actually have a handyman lined up, but haven't talked with him yet if he can do this type of stuff. If they were mounted on the wall, I wouldn't be too concerned, but screwed up mounting on a window could lead to spending a lot more money than paying for proper installation.

Quote:
Oh, one last thing... obviously we had to install the Lowe's blinds ourselves, but it's really not that hard. Hell, we'll install yours for the right price.
Hey, if your portfolio is impressive and the charge is competitive , why not? I'd like to meet you anyway. Thanks for the help and the offer!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Come on, Sierra . . . if I can do it, ANYONE CAN!

Especially considering I saved more than 50% for a brand name (Hunter Douglas).
Bummer, you NO understand! Look at your left (or non-dominating) hand! Then have a few shots of tequila! After you see your left hand doubling, you'll know what my hands look like! I haven't hung a picture in my lifetime, buddy... When it comes to stuff like this, I start thinking that men weren't so bad after all... Reading manuals frustrates the heck out of me!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Bummer, you NO understand! Look at your left (or non-dominating) hand! Then have a few shots of tequila! After you see your left hand doubling, you'll know what my hands look like! I haven't hung a picture in my lifetime, buddy... When it comes to stuff like this, I start thinking that men weren't so bad after all... Reading manuals frustrates the heck out of me!
Ok, Sierra . . . here's a Plan B

Save the BIG BUCKS by ordering the Blinds online and when they arrived hire a handyman to install them for you.

How's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson