U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 4,825 times

Advertisements

Good evening all.

I just accepted a transfer to the Tucson VA Hospital from the Florida VA. Yay! I think I will be moving some time in May as I do not have a start date yet....

Now to find a place to live...

55 y.o. single female, no pets...
would like a 2 bedroom townhome, house, or apartment/condo with a garage, also washer and dryer in the unit.

A safe neighborhood is a must. Rent between 900 to 1200 a month for one year and then possibly looking to buy.

I am active and do enjoy going out.

I have been looking at rentals online in Oro Valley, Catalina, Vail, and also Sahuarita and Green Valley.

I would prefer being closer to work but am not familiar with the safety of neighborhoods in Tucson.

Any suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 09:44 AM

495 posts, read 365,116 times
str8fan62, The commute from Oro Valley to the VA hospital will be at least 30 minutes each way. If you are unfazed by that, you will find plenty of condos and maybe some townhouses for rent, although they may be closer to the top of your price point. Generally speaking, I would stay away from the areas on the south side, although I'm sure there are pocket neighborhoods here and there that are quite safe. If you are open to an apartment for a year, there are great new apartments in downtown Tucson, with has undergone a renaissance of sorts in the past few years. Very modern, and it would put you in the downtown area with restaurants, entertainment, etc. Other possibilities would be the north Campbell Avenue area, near La Encantada, or along River Road from Campbell west to La Canada. Midtown neighborhoods generally have higher property crime exposure than neighborhoods to the north.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Thank you for the suggestions PartIrish!
When you say south side are we talking South Tucson or as far south as Sahuarita or Vail? I will definitely check the downtown area as well.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:37 PM

495 posts, read 365,116 times
Sahuarita is a lovely area and would be about a 20-30 minute commute for you, but it is largely comprised of suburban families and retirees. It sounds like you will be on you own but you are very active and would want to take advantage of local activities.

South Tucson proper--it is an incorporated city--is quite small, so I will comment on the south part of Tucson more generally. Poverty rate is high in south Tucson and thus there is property crime, as well as some gang activity. Also some wonderful restaurants, small business and many wonderful people, mostly Latino. Most places are not entirely safe or dangerous. However, it is a fact that central and south Tucson have somewhat higher crime rates, and since you emphasize safety as a priority, it is something to consider. Vail? probably safe overall, although very suburban and likely houses more than townhomes. If you want to look at that part of town, take a look at Civano for rentals. Safe, strong neighborhood feel, and most people are owners, so rentals will be the exception not the rule. You may end up liking enough to buy there. I have a friend who is a Civano resident who would know of available rentals if you are interested. However, Civano is a long way from downtown/central Tucson.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 PM

9,529 posts, read 29,125,666 times
I live in a small Patio Home Community (2 Bedroom / 2 Bath or 3 Bedroom / 2 Bath units both with full 2 Car Garages) near the Tucson Mall.

A much more realistic commute to the VA compared to the areas you've mentioned while not being too close. Very convenient within walking distance to restaurants, bars, banks, shopping and even the Rillito Recreational Trail (aka: The Loop) if you enjoy walking and bicycle riding with plenty of fresh air.

Most are "owner occupied" but rentals do pop up from time to time and run about $850 to $900 a month. In fact there is a 2 bedroom unit available right now.

Good Luck and Welcome to Tucson.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:04 AM

Thank you PartIrish and Bummer for the responses! This definitely gives me an idea where to start!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 AM

694 posts, read 742,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
...near the Tucson Mall...
Since you have been recommending this area where you live, it's got on my radar, which it never really was before. Just never thought about it. But who would not like living so close to shopping, buses, Rillito park, fantastic views of the Catalinas, eh. The view is really exceptional there. Got any more details you'd like to share about it?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:07 AM

9,529 posts, read 29,125,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Since you have been recommending this area where you live, it's got on my radar, which it never really was before. Just never thought about it. But who would not like living so close to shopping, buses, Rillito park, fantastic views of the Catalinas, eh. The view is really exceptional there. Got any more details you'd like to share about it?
A huge THANK YOU, WW.

Having lived from "Coast to Coast and Border to Border" over the years due to my career, I have learned one big lesson . . . there is no perfect place to live.

However, this area is the epitome of convenience without compromising safety and privacy. The comfort of not having to drive to just about everything is what keeps me here.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 AM

401 posts, read 414,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I live in a small Patio Home Community (2 Bedroom / 2 Bath or 3 Bedroom / 2 Bath units both with full 2 Car Garages) near the Tucson Mall.

A much more realistic commute to the VA compared to the areas you've mentioned while not being too close. Very convenient within walking distance to restaurants, bars, banks, shopping and even the Rillito Recreational Trail (aka: The Loop) if you enjoy walking and bicycle riding with plenty of fresh air.

Most are "owner occupied" but rentals do pop up from time to time and run about $850 to $900 a month. In fact there is a 2 bedroom unit available right now.

Good Luck and Welcome to Tucson.

A while back I remember somebody posting that they had a condo in the Limberlost area that they were happy with. Was that you by chance? The area intrigues me and we've looked at a couple of open houses there. We keep thinking that we would prefer a 55+ area but I'm wondering what that neighborhood is like. If that's you - are there a lot of us 'seniors' living there or is it more families with kids? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,193,717 times
What is a "Patio Home Community"? That's a new phrase to me. Is that a Tucson thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson