U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,568,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Nice video -- just a FYI though, javelinas travel in droves not herds. We live east of Tucson and they make their presence known on Tuesday evenings when some folks put their trash dumpers at the curb. The javelinas have learned to push them over to get at the contents, and boy can they make mess! We now have to wait until Wednesday morning as they don't dare move around in daylight for their fine-dining raids.

Sorry to disappoint you but one morning, full daylight, they were out there knocking over my cans, opening them, and eating even the plastic bags of dog poop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,568,877 times
Fascinating video. I have also seen a rejected mating. And once a young male challenged a huge older one right outside my fence. I was afraid they might charge the fence and break it but I was so interested I just stood and watched them. The younger one finally gave up, and neither one was hurt.
I should get a video camera before I move back to town.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:41 AM

946 posts, read 910,383 times
Quote:
Nice video -- just a FYI though, javelinas travel in droves not herds. We live east of Tucson and they make their presence known on Tuesday evenings when some folks put their trash dumpers at the curb. The javelinas have learned to push them over to get at the contents, and boy can they make mess! We now have to wait until Wednesday morning as they don't dare move around in daylight for their fine-dining raids.

They have learned to tip over trash bins in Green Valley as well. I cleaned up a mess yesterday morning I came across on my walk. Most people in my neighborhood are now using a bungee cord to hold the lid closed so that even if they push over the can, the lid does not come open. I to have seen the tipping happen in daylight and I have also seen the Javelina watch me and a neighbor clean up their mess from just 15 feet away. They were not threatening or anything. In fact I did not even notice them for a minute. I get that they are trying to survive and they will take the easiest path possible. So it is up to us humans to deal with the fact that the Javelina have learned this behavior. The bungee cord really does work. I have seen several cans tipped over, but not open and I pick them back up while on my walk.

Last edited by bkolodzi; 05-16-2018 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM

3,931 posts, read 1,763,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
They have learned to tip over trash bins in Green Valley as well. I cleaned up a mess yesterday morning I came across on my walk. Most people in my neighborhood are now using a bungee cord to hold the lid closed so that even if they push over the can, the lid does not come open. I to have seen the tipping happen in daylight and I have also seen the Javelina watch me and a neighbor clean up their mess from just 15 feet away. They were not threatening or anything. In fact I did not even notice them for a minute. I get that they are trying to survive and they will take the easiest path possible. So it is up to us humans to deal with the fact that the Javelina have learned this behavior. The bungee cord really does work. I have seen several cans tipped over, but not open and I pick them back up while on my walk.
Bungee cords on the lid are a good idea, but our trash pickup uses an automated arm to lift and dump the cans. The lone guy driving the truck would get totally P-Oed if he had to jump out and unhook bungees at every house.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Bungee cords on the lid are a good idea, but our trash pickup uses an automated arm to lift and dump the cans. The lone guy driving the truck would get totally P-Oed if he had to jump out and unhook bungees at every house.
Honestly, I am not sure how that is working, I do not see them when they come, but my bungee cord is there and the trash is gone. Maybe some people go out and remove the bungee early the morning of pickup? If I see the trash guys, I will ask them. Good point!

Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM

165 posts, read 438,614 times
As a former Tucsonan I really enjoyed this video. I'm also subscribed to your YouTube channel.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Fascinating video. I have also seen a rejected mating. And once a young male challenged a huge older one right outside my fence. I was afraid they might charge the fence and break it but I was so interested I just stood and watched them. The younger one finally gave up, and neither one was hurt.
I should get a video camera before I move back to town.

I just use my smart phone camera. I have it with me most of the time anyway, so it works for me. Maybe not the best video quality, but if you have a smart phone, it is already there.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
As a former Tucsonan I really enjoyed this video. I'm also subscribed to your YouTube channel.
Thank you Chrissy! I hope you enjoy the content. I look forward to some comments from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson