Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:55 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times

Advertisements

Bookmans is not really like the strand. The strand is a full blown bookstore. Bookmans sells used books alongside Nintendo 64 cartridges, old butter dishes, used maracas, VCRs, etc. The bookstore on 4th is called Antigone and it’s definitely still there, but it’s very small and pretty limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Portland isn't very diverse and really sheltered from most of America.
This.

I grew up there and spent 35 years there. They pride themselves on their "diversity", but take one step outside the accepted PC line and you're shouted down. For decades, Portland was the whitest big city in the nation. It may still be - and possibly even worse now that gentrification has forced longtime residents of the Alberta/Mississippi neighborhoods out of town.

Tucson may not have a Left-handed Leather Lesbians of Color parade, but it's a thousand times more diverse than Portland. That's why I'm here and not there.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 PM

132 posts, read 341,478 times
Quote:
Both Washington and Oregon have open carry laws that are just like those in Arizona. In fact, I see as many people openly carrying in Washington and Oregon as in Arizona.

Portland isn't very diverse and really sheltered from most of America. Tucson is a lot more diverse than Portland and I can see where it would be uncomfortable for people that have lived in Portland. Portland is a nice town, Tucson is a gritty town.

For people that have lived sheltered lifestyles the gated communities in Arizona are very popular for that reason. That way folks don't have to deal with people NOT like them.

Of course, for me that is the charm of Arizona and Tucson. But if all you want out of Arizona is sunny skies, a gated community is perfect for you.

PS...Bookmans does not even come close to Powell's. Powell's is the best thing about Portland.
I'm puzzled: Who said anything about me wanting a gated community? Are those who move from the PNW to Tucson forced, at open-carry gunpoint, to live in one?

I agree Pdx isn't that diverse (though, thankfully, it's changing -- esp. in the SE). We're looking forward to a more diverse city -- we used to live in NYC.

Yeah, OR is open carry, but Multnomah County (Portland and surroundings) isn't.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 PM

132 posts, read 341,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
I'll chime in on the food and drink seen. I visit Portland several times a year. I usually stay in the Pearl District when I am there. For frame of reference, giving the Pearl District a 10 score in terms of walkability, quality & quantity of food and drink I would give Tucson maybe a 3 or 4, IMHO. Craft brews in Tucson metro is up and coming, but a loooooong way from Portland.
Thanks for the info. Our beer is tasty. We need something to do during those 8 months of rain.

I'll take up and coming -- we love supporting local, independent places.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:20 AM

16 posts, read 33,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post

For decades, Portland was the whitest big city in the nation. It may still be - and possibly even worse now that gentrification has forced longtime residents of the Alberta/Mississippi neighborhoods out of town.

Tucson may not have a Left-handed Leather Lesbians of Color parade, but it's a thousand times more diverse than Portland. That's why I'm here and not there.
Yep. Portland is still by far the whitest big city in the U.S. Over 72%. Its closest competitor for cities of its size (over 500k) is Seattle at 66%, which has a very similar political & social landscape.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Both Washington and Oregon have open carry laws that are just like those in Arizona. In fact, I see as many people openly carrying in Washington and Oregon as in Arizona.
Living in a state that doesn't have open carry, I have never seen anyone open carry, even though I've been to Oregon and Arizona but must have not noticed before. How do they typically open carry their firearms, is it in a holster at their hips like the cowboy movies?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:19 AM

720 posts, read 995,065 times
The only time I ever saw someone with a holster and gun was in Bisbee once. Yes, on the hip like the police.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Living in a state that doesn't have open carry, I have never seen anyone open carry, even though I've been to Oregon and Arizona but must have not noticed before. How do they typically open carry their firearms, is it in a holster at their hips like the cowboy movies?

Open carry can be done in various ways. This is one way.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
The only time I ever saw someone with a holster and gun was in Bisbee once. Yes, on the hip like the police.

Sometimes I think people have the idea that we ALL walk around with a gun on our hip. I work in a very large, and busy, retail store and I see guns so seldom that it kind of takes me by surprise when I do. I mean we have, literally, hundreds of people in and out 24 hours a day and I don't even see one once a day! I expect there might be people who don't openly carry but do have them however I doubt it's very many. When I do see one I wonder why. Are they paranoid? Do they just want to appear 'macho'? Are they looking for the chance to be a 'hero'? What's their deal? I have nothing against guns. Grew up with them and learned to handle them young but don't feel I need one to protect myself all the time.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sometimes I think people have the idea that we ALL walk around with a gun on our hip. I work in a very large, and busy, retail store and I see guns so seldom that it kind of takes me by surprise when I do. I mean we have, literally, hundreds of people in and out 24 hours a day and I don't even see one once a day! I expect there might be people who don't openly carry but do have them however I doubt it's very many. When I do see one I wonder why. Are they paranoid? Do they just want to appear 'macho'? Are they looking for the chance to be a 'hero'? What's their deal? I have nothing against guns. Grew up with them and learned to handle them young but don't feel I need one to protect myself all the time.
Answers to your four "questions":

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. "Their deal" is that "they"/we live in America, which has the Second Amendment, which has given the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and so we do.

It says thus:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Colt AZ; 06-03-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson