Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 AM

132 posts, read 341,478 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband an I, in our early 50s/60s, are thinking about moving to Tucson. We spent a day last year when visiting my parents who live in an active retirement community near Phoenix. I assumed, wrongly, that Tucson would be like Phoenix south. We discovered we loved Tucson but I’ve got a few questions. We live in Portland, OR now (by way of New York) and really love so much about it — the politics, the community, the activism, the creative and quirky vibe. From our very brief visit, it seemed Tucson had a bit of that — does it? We really liked the Sam Hughes neighborhood, but would want a bigger lot (1+ acres) and quiet. Are there quirky quiet neighborhoods that we could find houses in the 350K - 500K range? Independent bookstores, non-chain cafes and restaurants, hiking/running/biking trails are all important to us. We’ve Portland liberal so will that an issue? (Tucson gave off a nicely progressive vibe, but seeing people open-carry guns freaked us out a bit.) We plan to come out in the summer, to see if we can handle it. I’ve visited my folks then and Phoenix is far more oppressive in the summer than Tucson, right? I’d love to hear the good and the bad about Tucson. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
Hi. My husband an I, in our early 50s/60s, are thinking about moving to Tucson. We spent a day last year when visiting my parents who live in an active retirement community near Phoenix. I assumed, wrongly, that Tucson would be like Phoenix south. We discovered we loved Tucson but I’ve got a few questions. We live in Portland, OR now (by way of New York) and really love so much about it — the politics, the community, the activism, the creative and quirky vibe. From our very brief visit, it seemed Tucson had a bit of that — does it? We really liked the Sam Hughes neighborhood, but would want a bigger lot (1+ acres) and quiet. Are there quirky quiet neighborhoods that we could find houses in the 350K - 500K range? Independent bookstores, non-chain cafes and restaurants, hiking/running/biking trails are all important to us. We’ve Portland liberal so will that an issue? (Tucson gave off a nicely progressive vibe, but seeing people open-carry guns freaked us out a bit.) We plan to come out in the summer, to see if we can handle it. I’ve visited my folks then and Phoenix is far more oppressive in the summer than Tucson, right? I’d love to hear the good and the bad about Tucson. Thanks!
Tucson is only a few degrees cooler than PHX. Its still hot.

If you don't like guns, low taxes, etc, stay in liberal Portland. Don't move here and change AZ to OR.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM

132 posts, read 341,478 times
Thanks for responding to my post. I'd read that, because of elevation, it's a bit cooler in Tucson -- like 105 to 110 in Tucson vs. 115 to oven-basted in PHX. And I'd heard Tucson is filled with more liberally goodness than Phoenix and Scottsdale. I know AZ is still a red state, but OR is pretty red outside of our urban areas.

I'd love info on various neighborhoods in Tucson, especially those that fit the criteria I mentioned.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:04 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I'm thinking about moving to Green Valley with the elevation even higher than Tucson and therefore, a little cooler, but still, as they say, "Hot!" Sierra Vista has the awesome climate (so I've heard) in southern AZ, higher in elevation, of course, but also a bit far away from Tucson. So, not sure what I'll do, but I certainly wish you the best.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:14 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Green Valley with the elevation even higher than Tucson and therefore, a little cooler, but still, as they say, "Hot!" Sierra Vista has the awesome climate (so I've heard) in southern AZ, higher in elevation, of course, but also a bit far away from Tucson. So, not sure what I'll do, but I certainly wish you the best.
Green Valley is a nice area, right next to the Santa Rita Mountains, Ramsey Canyon. Try the drive!

Old 05-30-2018, 02:21 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
This my first year in Sierra Vista & I am not finding the heat oppressive. I heard May & June would be the bad months. It does get hot but there has usually been a nice breeze. I do stay out of the sun in the afternoon but so far it's been fine.

I haven't been to Green Valley yet but those that post who live there enjoy it. Prescott is supposed to be nice also.

Last edited by meo92953; 05-30-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 02:31 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Indeed, the gun thing would be creepy! Are you set on Arizona? If not, Albuquerque might meet your criteria... sunny, but without broiling summers (because it's about the same elevation as Denver).

Old 05-30-2018, 02:36 PM

234 posts, read 498,868 times
Yes, it's still hot in summer even though the elevation is slightly higher. June and July are perfect to head up to Oregon for a trip to the coast. Sam Hughes is a great neighborhood. In fact, my wife and I are looking there ourselves for retirement in a few years. It sounds like you'd like to be in the middle of things so I would definitely start there then move outward. I wouldn't worry about the red state thing. Plenty of people in Tucson and around the state are left of center leaning/progressive. When my wife and I move down in 5 years from Seattle there will be two more haha

Old 05-30-2018, 02:49 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Quote:
Two years ago we were facing the exact choice that you are. Though we were in the Seattle area - same issues, basically. Also, our oldest daughter and her husband live in Portland so we well understand all of the amenities you're looking for. Our criteria was the same, with the exception of housing price range.

Initially, Tucson was near the top of our list. We love so many things about that city and it is a little blue dot in a red state. Plenty of like-minded people and a live and let live attitude from people with differing views. There is also a very prevalent libertarian vibe which we have no problem with.

Pros for us were:

* COL much lower than the PNW
* Incredible weather in the winter, early spring and late fall
* Whole Foods and TJ's are there
* Housing is still, relatively, reasonable
* Plenty of retail and other basic resources for a decent lifestyle
* Saguaro National Park is a wonderful place for hiking https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm
* One of the best bookstores anywhere called Bookmans. Bookmans East | Bookmans Entertainment Exchange
* Southwest art and architecture is awesome
* Plenty of restaurants and cafes to choose from. Good Sonoran-style Mexican food

Cons for us:

* We visited throughout the year but ,once late spring rolled around, it was just too intensely hot for us. We know plenty of people who feel differently and others who sunbird elsewhere during the summer months.
* After all of our years in the PNW we had difficulty with the extremely dry climate
* We have dogs and decided that they were too old to adapt to the dusty, dry terrain
* The open carry gun law, which we do respect as a constitutional right, was just too foreign to us
* The crime rate is rather high and, if I was alone, wasn't sure I'd feel safe

Please keep in mind this is an 'outsider' point of view and, surely, others may have a very different perspective. And BTW, I agree with other posters that you will not find too much difference in temperature between Phoenix and Tucson - we considered both areas.

Last edited by LaylaM; 05-30-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 05:36 PM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
Hello! Here are some fairly recent threads I remember that might help. You can PM me for more specific questions if you like.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...n-phoenix.html
02-21-2018

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...ng-tucson.html
03-19-2018

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...hbourhood.html
04-18-2018

This is the URL to Arizona Illustrated Stories (355 of them) at YouTube by Arizona Public Media at the U of Arizona on campus in Tucson. I’ve seen all of them multiple times except this week’s episode. Love them. Best of luck!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...E5IGhjAL4Kd_SM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson