U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 10:09 PM

3,931 posts, read 1,763,384 times

Advertisements

I live in a small subdivision east of Tucson and like many in the past decade it is only half built-out. The original builder went bust and the remaining lots were bought by another developer who got things going again last year. There are currently 5-10 houses under construction, many framed, roofed and ready for stucco, but all activity on them ceased about a week ago.

Some say the builder can't find any stucco crews, but I find that hard to believe. The last time I saw something similar was in 1987 and that builder was soon gone, leaving a bunch of unfinished homes that sat for years. So what's happening in your areas of Tucson? Do you see any signs of a slow down in residential construction? Have you heard anything about labor shortages in the construction trades?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 AM

7,450 posts, read 5,895,096 times
Might be a local thing. Real estate inventory in Green Valley is pretty low. Houses in my subdivision get snapped up pretty quick.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:46 PM

21,341 posts, read 22,411,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I live in a small subdivision east of Tucson and like many in the past decade it is only half built-out. The original builder went bust and the remaining lots were bought by another developer who got things going again last year. There are currently 5-10 houses under construction, many framed, roofed and ready for stucco, but all activity on them ceased about a week ago.

Some say the builder can't find any stucco crews, but I find that hard to believe. The last time I saw something similar was in 1987 and that builder was soon gone, leaving a bunch of unfinished homes that sat for years. So what's happening in your areas of Tucson? Do you see any signs of a slow down in residential construction? Have you heard anything about labor shortages in the construction trades?
There is definitely a shortage of home construction workers.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 AM

3,931 posts, read 1,763,384 times
Still no workers or activity, the styrofoam on the un-stuccoed houses is turning from white to yellow as the sun cooks it each day.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 AM

386 posts, read 186,694 times
FWIW, in the Sacramento area they had a job fair recently for construction workers.

Pleading for them to show up at the hiring halls for $25 -$45 per hour jobs.

So it is possible there is a shortage of workers.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM

4,664 posts, read 2,898,075 times
With all the building going on in Ca, the flooding in Houston, the fires in Ca. All the houses built in the 60's need improvements. Construction workers are hard to find.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 PM

8,145 posts, read 5,199,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Still no workers or activity, the styrofoam on the un-stuccoed houses is turning from white to yellow as the sun cooks it each day.
I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity Tucson for two years from August 2015 to July 2017 and stucco was one of the 5 things we would contract out. We did all the stucco prep with hanging/attaching the styrofoam and chicken wire, and even going back 3 years, we had to schedule our stucco contractor and they were so busy and booked, it would be any where from 4-8 weeks before they could get to us.

I think it's more of just not enough skilled workers. Stucco is like an art, sure you can probably show someone how to do it in a day or two, but it probably takes a year or more to really master it and have it look halfway decent. I'm not saying the houses you're talking about are not abandoned, but there is a shortage of licensed stucco contractors in the Tucson metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: